Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th December 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
nivar

Default If I Want To Start Site Like This...

hi,

I am fulltime university student, i want to start a forum ( maybe just like this one), but i cant seems to come up with any good idea.

some of the other forums are related to...
1. finding cheap / low priced quality products
2. niche based forums such adult contents / ethinic ect.
2. specific to certatin industry related contents

im just wondering how to come up with an idea to start a forum? of if you have one can you share explain how did u come up with it?

nivar is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th December 2007, 08:11 PM   #2
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Starting a forum isn't easy. It's not just a matter of coming up with an idea -- you also have to come up with a way to get visitors (and more importantly, visitors who participate). There is nothing more pathetic than a forum filled with nothing but the forum owner posting desperately trying to get somebody else to join the conversation.

And if you do manage to get the forum off the ground, you will need a whole team of people to moderate, and potentially a couple of administrators, too. Trust me, I'm involved in several active forums, and this is not something you can handle on your own. It's a lot of work to run a forum.

Frankly, you might do better to start a blog. It's easier to get started, and you don't have to worry about attracting large numbers of active forum posters right from the get-go. Find other bloggers in your niche and start networking with them. The built-in RSS feeds and ping/trackback functionality will help get the word out about your blog and build your readership.

If your blog becomes successful, you can open a forum then (or maybe decide the blog is so much fun you don't need the hassles of a forum after all).

No matter whether you start a blog, a forum or a traditional website, it's going to take work to get it off the ground. Hard work, and lots of it. You'll find it a lot easier to put in the time and energy if the site is about something you find interesting in the first place.

So pick something you're interested in. Something you feel passionate about. There are people out there who are interested in almost anything you can imagine, so you don't have to worry about not having an audience once they find out you're there.

--Torka

Old 16th December 2007, 12:19 PM   #3
LCGoldman

I've created two forums... the hardest part is gaining critical mass. Attracting enough people to it, and keeping people posting so there's always new posts for members to read.

The software I used was very easy to install... and there's a whole open source support group that created a whole bunch of modifications that I could add to tailor the features to exactly how I wanted it to appear.

The software is all free, and support is wonderful. If you would like to check out the software, click: Yet Another Bulletin Board (YaBB).

If you would like to check out my forum, the link to my tropical fish forum is in my signature. I welcome your comments.

If i can help you in any way setting up your Forum, please don't hesitate to ask.

LCGoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2007, 06:49 PM   #4
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Well said, Torka! She said it all. Starting to have blog and later have your forum will help a lot. It hard to get visitors especially members who will be active and join in the discussions regularly. Best of luck!

Old 17th December 2007, 08:05 AM   #5
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivar View Post
im just wondering how to come up with an idea to start a forum? of if you have one can you share explain how did u come up with it?
Hello nivar, welcome to the forum! My reply is going to echo Torka's for the most part.

First, start a blog to gauge interest in your topic. Build up your credibilty and traffic, and then if your blog is successful, if you still have the forum bug, gradually transfer your blog readers over to your forum. But remember, as Torka stated, a forum is a huge undertaking and should not be entered into lightly.

Regarding ideas for your blog or forum, I'm a firm believer in starting a business doing the things you love the most. For example, I love marketing. So I started a marketing website. Figure out the things you really enjoy doing, and build a business around it.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to start a forum in the first place? Are you trying to build a community? Because you can actually build a blog community a heck of a lot easier and faster. They both require a lot of work, but at least a blog is something that you can maintain by yourself.

Just something to keep in mind.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 17th December 2007 at 08:20 AM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote