Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2004, 05:10 PM   #1
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default Incorporating on and offline marketing

There are a couple related threads, and I've really been thinking about this lately. By definition, I do search marketing. I also tend to lean toward local and small business. I would like to have a really good system to help these businesses use both on and offline marketing strategies to enhance each other.

I'll use this as an example: I recently optimized a local import auto repair site. So far, we've worked on standard SEO and regional AdWords campaigns. Also, the owner has a really cool racing car that he plastered the URL all over the place.

There are some other things we've talked about but haven't done yet...
Direct Mail w/ site name
Coupons on site (this should actually be done soon)
Local Match
Site address on literature, receipts, etc...
Promotional products

We've never discussed affiliate marketing, although I'm open to that.

I saw OWG's Co-op Advertising thread. I think I might be suggesting that as well.

Any feedback or additions to my small list? Thanks a bunch.

Paul

Localmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st July 2004, 08:19 PM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

Not sure if this works in the US, but in the UK there are loads of kiddy sports teams. they are always looking for a new kit to play in. We sponsored a local rugby team, our url was across the chest of the kit. Every time one or all of them was photographed, our URL was in the newspapers for free. it cost 300 for the kit.

By 'auto repair' I am assuming that you mean garage services who do all sorts of repairs & maintenance? If so get some small stickers made up with the garage telephone number & URL on, stick a couple of them where they will be seen lots but not be intrusive like near the door hinge drivers side, under the hood etc get the garage to write the date and miles of the last service on it and the miles when the next one is due.

If your client is willing to take a cut in profit, then a real nice thing to do is to send existing clients a personalised GENUINE money off voucher for an essential item like vehicle servicing etc. make them a real nice looking thing, as I say personalise them to the client, and make them like a gift voucher.

Word them along the lines of Dear 'customer name' as a valid customer we would like to thank you by sending you these 5 vouchers for money off a xxxxxx. One is for yourself, as a thank you for your loyalty, the other 4 are for you to present to selected friends. We would have liked to have sent you more, but we have had to limit the numbers sent, and also who we send them to.

Thank you for your past business, and we look forward to your future business.
--------------------

That spiel is really rough as it is just outta my head. The thing is that you are appealing to his sense of pride and self worth. He will WANT to give these out to let people know how special he is!

When I was a buyer, reps would give me all sorts of stuff come Christmas time. One company, a small company less than 10 employees, asked me what I would like! They said to me (I was only 22 at the time) Hey how about we get you something for your mum? I said that my mum had always dreamed of having genuine lead crystal drinking glasses. (we were really poor so the only drinking glasses we had were those that had been liberated from local drinking establishments).

The pride I was feeling, when I gave them to my mother is indescribable. Someone thought somuch about ME, that they gave me something to give to my mother!

Over 20 years later that still has the same effect on me!

OK so I am a soppy old bugger lol

Old 21st July 2004, 09:33 PM   #3
WiteKnite

Default Not Off Off line, but still...

Here's some ideas... with a warning... you get what you pay for, and I'm giving these away free!

1) If this is an import auto repair shop, they've probably got some really cool (for people who go in for that sort of thing) car photos... (with the hood open showing the engine, etc.) They could make some screensavers with their URL printed discreetly in the corner. Car lovers will even refer other enthusiasts to the site...

2) OWG mentioned Christmas... at my last company, one year rather than send out a Christmas Card, we sent out a Web site address... it was a page on our site where we had made a nice animated Christmas card, and then we donated the money we saved on postage, etc. to a charity. People referred their friends, etc. We got a lot more traffic than just our customers. That also worked out very nicely since the charity also mentioned us as donors...

3) The local sports team was a great idea. What if you added a page to the site where you posted weekly stats of the games in the whole league? Who one, who lost, pictures from the games (if you have a digital camera, it's easy.) Soon every team will be referring people to the site.

Like I said... except for the Christmas card idea, these aren't tested... I'd appreciate hearing if you try any, and whether they work or not.

WiteKnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2004, 02:47 PM   #4
Localmn
VIP Contributor

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Wow, ask and you shall receive. Great ideas! I'm so wrapped up in the 'search' aspect of things and it's great to integrate that with the overall marketing.

OWG, yep, it's an import auto garage. I think I'll be suggesting the sticker idea. They get the sticker, see the URL, visit the page, see a new service special, come back, get a new sticker... This is a great example of what I'm looking for. It makes the marketing cyclical.

Last week I stopped by their shop and saw a picture on their wall. It's the kiddy baseball team they already sponsor. I'm liking the idea of posting their scores and photos online. It is more of a community business and that can only help their branding.

For other local customers in general, I'm networking with a promotional products company in town. This is nothing new I guess, although I don't see this integrated with search marketing companies too often.

The best example I can think of is when I was working in more of a corporate environment. Each holiday season, we would receive a promo item gift like a calculator and our company name. Well, that's nice enough, but I don't think of using their services each time I use the calculator since a calculator has nothing to do with their business. I might be getting a customer that sells different bath and beauty products. I might suggest a sample bottle of something like body gel with the company logo, phone #, URL...

Funny you should mention the drinking glasses, OWG. Right now, I'm drinking water from a 'liberated' drinking establishment glass.

I guess none of this is new, but I hardly ever see these integrated from the start. I usually see a person in marketing, then a designer or developer, then an SEO, and they all do their own thing.

Any other ideas? Thoughts?

Ok, I've rabble rabbled enough.

Paul

Localmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2004, 03:41 PM   #5
OakWebWorks

Here are some other e-marketing things you can do:

Strategic link development
Internet exploration to discover where to place your link
Article writing
Newsgroup and forum "buzz" building
Newsletter development
Email marketing
Banner creation and placement
Flash movie development
Site traffic analysis and reporting using WebTrends

OakWebWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2009, 01:46 PM   #6
bryanfuller

Default Seo is the best

If you are looking for online marketing then SEO is best. And in real marketing nothing is better then the stickers, and printing of the stickers must be of the best quality and showing your company theme.

bryanfuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 03:59 PM   #7
JCWHong

Localmn,

Have you thought about offering a physical product as an incentive on the lead capture form on the website? You could offer a gift certificate for a certain product and have those people who are interested bring in the gift certificate that they received as a result of opting into your list.

Justin

JCWHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th May 2011, 02:04 AM   #8
danielkanuck

Integrating online and offline marketing is a good thing to do. You will definitely want to hit the ground running with a strong SEO campaign. Utilize article marketing as a part of your advertising efforts.

I'm sure you've felt the pinch of doing direct mail, so consider using a postcard to state your message instead. Another thing that you can do offline is sign up to the Val-pak coupon mailer.

This is a great way to target people who loves receiving coupons.

One other thing that you should know is that if you have the right price for your products, you could do your marketing all wrong and still make a killing in your business. Hopefully you sell relatively high prices, or you have a highly responsive niche. Otherwise, you may just be spinning your wheels marketing to a group of people who can't pay you top dollar for your services.

Old 9th May 2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Tri-Win

I know direct mail is being used more and more for multi-channel marketing. It can be used to drive people to web sites using Purls QR codes or just a gool old fashioned url depending on a target audience.

I think the postcard idea that danielkanuck suggested is a good idea since postcards are cheaper to mail. I would bet, although im not sure, you could find a paper that is heavy like card stock but with a sticker front. That way you could mail the postcard and the recipients could peel off the contact information.

Old 11th May 2011, 12:40 PM   #10
KristinHovde

Social media is always an effective way to promote your business, especially since billions of people are using it at any given minute. Another effective idea is trade shows. There is a small fee, but it is an investment that will more than pay for itself. Plus, if you go to the right trade shows, you'll have the chance to meet a targeted demographic who may turn into new customers or business contacts.

Good luck to you!

KristinHovde is offline   Reply With Quote