Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Domain Names
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st June 2006, 12:55 PM   #1
ChrisH

Send a message via AIM to ChrisH
Default Fight the Domain Sharks!

I'm a good capitalist, like most small business owners. I very much appreciate the system and think that it produces far more good than bad.

I understand that domain sharking (buying word combinations in bulk domain purchases and reselling them at 5000%+ profit) is somewhat analogous to property speculation, and that they have an intrinsic value, based on many factors.

But what a pain in the bum for small business owners! It's really an impediment to the system: I believe that domain names should be vehicles for startups and small businesses to propell their growth. Not many of us can start that trend by shelling out thousands of dollars for the name we just spend 5 days brainstorming!!

Of course, the practice will never stop. Creative people have worked around it in a number ways:
- Drop a letter: Flickr, Gawkr
- "Borrow" another name: Napster -> Friendster -> GodKnowsWhatSter (Still availablle--act quick!)
- Prepend "My" (I've heard this has worked for at least one company : )

Other than that, it just comes to downright creativity. Word mashups. Even word inventions.

However, there are still some terms available if you look through lists. On Brandfetch.com, I found some funky ones available (bogchi.com, gunpowderchicken.com, from the Slang and Tech Jargon word lists), some practical ones (overlaystrategy.com--A term in the "Finance" word list), a whole bunch that were still around.

So don't give up yet! And whatever you do: DON'T PAY. Fight the Domain Sharks!

ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st June 2006, 01:37 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Very good ideas for coming up with creative names.

I don't mind domain name speculators because that's just part of the game. And, some of the domain buyers are small businesses themselves.

Old 2nd June 2006, 02:24 PM   #3
bhartzer
VIP Contributor

Robert is right, there are a lot of domain speculators out there that are small businesses; people just like you and me who are buying and selling domain names.

Also consider that there are literally thousands of domain names that expire ever day (last time I heard it was about 25,000 domains names every day). So, there's a lot of domain names that are not being renewed--and if you're starting a business or a new site you might want to look at the lists of expired domain names as well; you might find one that's worth buying.

Old 3rd June 2006, 02:46 PM   #4
Learn To Sell

With 25,000 domain names expiring every day I wondereded how these domain sharks decided on which ones to grab and I came up with an idea...

Are you ready? And I know this might be confrontational...

You let other people decide!

Here's what you do...

You find out which domain names have been "back-ordered" and you grab them. Your chances of grabbing a doman name of value by picking up these these "back-ordered" domains has to be higher than picking from the crowd of 25,000.

Learn To Sell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 11:37 AM   #5
ChrisH

Send a message via AIM to ChrisH

I'll admit that's clever... How could you get a list of backordered domains though? I thought that that was just a service that registrars offered, then they poll on the availability periodically.

I guess if new bands can continually come up with new names, then those looking for domain names should be able to as well.
The bands don't even have the option of naming themselves Coldplay.biz.

ChrisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 09:13 PM   #6
Learn To Sell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisH
I'll admit that's clever... How could you get a list of backordered domains though?
Ahhh, the $10,000 question.

Learn To Sell is offline   Reply With Quote