Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th October 2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Green Tech Guy

Default Article Writing Strategy

i have never spent much time with articles. i do occasionally write one that pertains to my business and post it to my blog as well as a few other sites such as hubpages. I have never paid anyone to write articles, with my business which is a fairly technical business im not sure how i would go about finding someone to write quality accurate articles.

The strategy behind articles is to get quality information relevant to your business out the in the WWW so that people will find while doing various google searches, correct?

I do use press releases and they are a hit and miss really. I have had much more success with news articles such as recently we just had a fairly large trucking company implement our program to green their fleet. I whipped up a little article and shot it out to a bunch of newspaper editors in the state. Acquiring the editors email addresses took hours but it was very successful apparently many thought it was newsworthy and published the article and we saw alot of interest generated from it.

I would like to utilize any resource i can to grow my businesses, any input on article submission and how i could go about it or how i should would be helpful

Green Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th October 2010, 11:23 AM   #2
JimS91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tech Guy View Post
i have never spent much time with articles. i do occasionally write one that pertains to my business and post it to my blog as well as a few other sites such as hubpages. I have never paid anyone to write articles, with my business which is a fairly technical business im not sure how i would go about finding someone to write quality accurate articles.

The strategy behind articles is to get quality information relevant to your business out the in the WWW so that people will find while doing various google searches, correct?

I do use press releases and they are a hit and miss really. I have had much more success with news articles such as recently we just had a fairly large trucking company implement our program to green their fleet. I whipped up a little article and shot it out to a bunch of newspaper editors in the state. Acquiring the editors email addresses took hours but it was very successful apparently many thought it was newsworthy and published the article and we saw alot of interest generated from it.

I would like to utilize any resource i can to grow my businesses, any input on article submission and how i could go about it or how i should would be helpful
Hi,

I currently do article marketing for both natural traffic and valuable backlinks. Both of which are very valuable to websites and ranking in the search engines.

There are two methods in article marketing, the manual and the automatic.

The manual method basically requires you to get good keywords either via the free keyword tools or a more powerful keyword tool such as Micro Niche Finder. I personally use this and will just say that it is truly amazing what this software will do.
Then you simply write keyword rich articles and post them to the top article directories. Concentrating on the top 20 or so article directories.

The automatic method is pretty much the same except. You get an automatic article submitter which will submitter your articles to the directories for you. I suggest spinning your articles first, and some auto submitters come with spinners.

Now, this is just a brief overview of the article submission process, but there is an indepth ecourse taught by a big name marketer titled Article Marketing Domination .

I hope this helps, and article marketing can be very powerful when done correctly and all online businesses should use it.

JimS

JimS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 05:24 PM   #3
n_touch

When you write articles and submit them, make sure that you are only submitting to the top sites. Many of these sites have a rigorous standard that you must follow to have your article posted. You may write and write and see that you are not getting anything posted, but don't give up. The reason to stay with the top sites with these standards are simple, they drive traffic and have better links. Remember when you are working with SEO and your website, anything that comes easy and without work is probably not worth it in the long run for your website.

Thanks

n_touch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2010, 07:32 PM   #4
Melva

Default Article Writing

I have only written one article and it was accepted by ezinearticles.com. It did get me a back link and a little traffic. I have wanted to write more but I use my writing time to create content for my website. I am trying to adhere to the 80/20 rule when it come to article writing. That should be 4 pages for the web site to 1 article. I just need to work it out.

Old 10th October 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Social-Media

Here's how I do use article writing to promote my site.

1) I write a blog post about some topic. Typically my posts are very detailed, like 1500-2500 words. I post this on my blog.

2) I write a totally separate article about the exact same topic. I never look at the original blog post. I write this one from scratch. I may use the same basic outline, but I talk about things at a much higher level, with less detail. This article will typically be 700-1000 words. In the resources box I link to my post in #1 with its targeted kewyord phrase... and I link to my home page with its targeted keyword phrase. You can have 2 links to your site in the resources box and both are FOLLOWed links. I submit this to EzineArticles.

3) EZA publishes it and I get 2 backlinks to my site from the resources box - one to the post, the other to the home page.

4) If you write excellent articles from EZA, LOTS of other web sites will republish your articles. Each time it is re-published, you get 2 more back links.

5) I get traffic not only from EZA but also from the sites where my articles are re-published.

Old 13th October 2010, 03:21 PM   #6
rdcclu

I can relate to your business in a technical field as I have a site devoted to a very specialized segment of financial planning where few people know much about it. Consequently, I have written all the articles for the blog associated with this business myself. For other sites I own I have an author who researches and writes articles for me.

Here's what I have done which may be of help to you.

Re-purpose.

1. For example, I have made videos out of many of the articles. I have put these up on YouTube and submitted them through TubeMogul with good success.
2. I have also created a video podcast site for these videos, which gets its own traffic.
3. You can read the article into a mic and create a podcast. Put it up on iTunes.
4. You can make a PowerPoint presentation out of your article. Put it up on sites that cater to PPT.
5. You can do the same thing by converting your article into a .pdf file and putting it up on sites devoted to .pdfs.

So, even though it is time-consuming to write an article about a topic that only you know about, you can get more bang for the buck by changing it into other formats.

rdcclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2010, 09:56 AM   #7
Green Tech Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcclu View Post
I can relate to your business in a technical field as I have a site devoted to a very specialized segment of financial planning where few people know much about it. Consequently, I have written all the articles for the blog associated with this business myself. For other sites I own I have an author who researches and writes articles for me.

Here's what I have done which may be of help to you.

Re-purpose.

1. For example, I have made videos out of many of the articles. I have put these up on YouTube and submitted them through TubeMogul with good success.
2. I have also created a video podcast site for these videos, which gets its own traffic.
3. You can read the article into a mic and create a podcast. Put it up on iTunes.
4. You can make a PowerPoint presentation out of your article. Put it up on sites that cater to PPT.
5. You can do the same thing by converting your article into a .pdf file and putting it up on sites devoted to .pdfs.

So, even though it is time-consuming to write an article about a topic that only you know about, you can get more bang for the buck by changing it into other formats.
Never considered converting articles into videos or podcasts. I wasnt aware there were sites dedicated to sharing ppts either. Thanks for the info, any links you would like to share that you have found to work out well?

Green Tech Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2010, 02:13 PM   #8
Asim

Send a message via MSN to Asim Send a message via Skype™ to Asim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Tech Guy View Post
Never considered converting articles into videos or podcasts. I wasnt aware there were sites dedicated to sharing ppts either. Thanks for the info, any links you would like to share that you have found to work out well?
http://www.slideshare.net is a great way of driving traffic to your site and getting valuable back links if you want to create a Powerpoint presentation out of an article.

Your PPT can also be listed on youtube

Old 17th October 2010, 05:38 PM   #9
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Get into the habbit of saving everything you write. Yes, submitting articles will help as explained above. I am not sure how much time you want to spend to dominate your market segment, but it could mean writing several hundred articles.

To do it well, keep them between 250-500 words. I like to use the 'list' type article. That is, your article includes a short list (like 3-4) points that pertain to solving the problem your article talks about.

From those 3-4 points, you can elaborate each one to make 3-4 additional articles. It's a good method to grow your list of content.

When I say 'save everything you write', take your best or most informative articles and put them into a short report or e-Book to download from your site. Use it to get people to sign up to your news letter.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2010, 08:40 AM   #10
DavidHawke

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidHawke

Great post, This is how it should be done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
Here's how I do use article writing to promote my site.

1) I write a blog post about some topic. Typically my posts are very detailed, like 1500-2500 words. I post this on my blog.

2) I write a totally separate article about the exact same topic. I never look at the original blog post. I write this one from scratch. I may use the same basic outline, but I talk about things at a much higher level, with less detail. This article will typically be 700-1000 words. In the resources box I link to my post in #1 with its targeted kewyord phrase... and I link to my home page with its targeted keyword phrase. You can have 2 links to your site in the resources box and both are FOLLOWed links. I submit this to EzineArticles.

3) EZA publishes it and I get 2 backlinks to my site from the resources box - one to the post, the other to the home page.

4) If you write excellent articles from EZA, LOTS of other web sites will republish your articles. Each time it is re-published, you get 2 more back links.

5) I get traffic not only from EZA but also from the sites where my articles are re-published.