Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th August 2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Kyles0

Wink Ideas To Promote A Donut Shop

I'm helping a friends parents promote their donut shop with social media, and I was wondering if anyone had tips on how to promote locally using social media. Any thoughts are appriciated.

Kyles0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 25th August 2010, 03:10 AM   #2
rockroad005

Join different fan page and communites, add more friend and interact with them by promoting your site, you can use twitter as well and myspace aside from facebook. As we all know these social networking sites are the most popular sites nowadays. Good luck.

rockroad005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 09:39 AM   #3
JonJohnson

Default Ideas For You

First look at what else they are doing. Are they doing anything in the store itself or in any other media if they are you will want to use those promotional activities and simply use social media to also promote them.

I think that you should look at driving people from the donut store into your social media. For example have signs and posters made for in the store giving customers information on how to join your social media networks.

A word of warning for you: Social Media is not the place to be blasting out continual promotions and offers and you are going to have a hard time finding people that want promos from a donut shop they just do not use social media for this. Social media is a place for people to socialize and share so you need to try and tap into this and get your customers to drive the conversation.

One of the only ways to really promote via social media is to use the paid advertising they offer and target your ads to your local market.

JonJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2010, 09:40 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

setup a promotion with groupon or other social buying websites

Old 25th August 2010, 11:00 AM   #5
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

I have written several articles on marketing for small business such as yours. You may want to check them out at the sites below:

http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...ory/marketing/
http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...mall-business/

In general, explore several avenues rather than focusing on just one thing. Do both online (web based) and offline (print coupons, etc.) marketing. Both have values and reach to different audiences.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:23 AM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Social media is NOT the place to promote.

What you SHOULD be doing is this. Set up the website with an opt-in e-mail list. PROMOTE That 'preferred customer' promo's and offers IN THE STORE. Get THOSE CUSTOMERS to sign up to the list.

Then, on some sort of regular basis (not daily) send out specials. Imagine a list of just 1,000 people. You send out an offer... and only 2% respond. That puts 20 SALES in your door almost instantly!

Keep it local by promoting it to local customers. Make them know (think) that they are special. The word will travel... and it will make you the 'go to place' for coffee and donuts!

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 01:22 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I think that is fair to say, but disagree. For example, part of promoting through social media should include capturing their email for future marketing. Using groupon as an example, it would drive local business plus you could setup things to capture the email/subscriber list for ongoing/future marketing. If you follow groupon, most merchants do this and they recommend this. I wouldn't discount social media, completely, but do agree with building your list is the key. How you go about that, can be done several ways imo.

Old 26th August 2010, 04:54 PM   #8
davidbkeegan

I think social media on a small scale like this IS effective! In fact, I think people will pay more attention to a facebook fan page than an email.

You could also use yelp. Sign them up and then offer a special discount or coupon on the site.

davidbkeegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2010, 11:31 PM   #9
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
but do agree with building your list is the key. How you go about that, can be done several ways imo.
Well, the truth of the matter is that if you want a QUALITY list that responds, you MUST use an opt-in list.

I agree with the fact that I don't care where they came from or how you got them to your site... but at the end of the day, it's got to be an opt-in list. Otherwise you're just squirting in the wind.

Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2010, 12:34 AM   #10
BC-Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeTheBest View Post
Well, the truth of the matter is that if you want a QUALITY list that responds, you MUST use an opt-in list.

I agree with the fact that I don't care where they came from or how you got them to your site... but at the end of the day, it's got to be an opt-in list. Otherwise you're just squirting in the wind.

Good luck!
Let's be honest here though, an opt-in list for promos for donuts? We're getting more and more towards the time when people are checking facebook and twitter at home and then e-mail at work. At that point, they've already passed the donut shop.

I'd hit it with a facebook group, and tweet with the city's hashtag between 6 and 7 AM with promos.

Always LEAD them to an opt-in list, but don't rely on that solely. There's only so many times you can tell someone that they'll get a free donut before it turns into a "I don't care".

Bottom line - use the opt-in after you get their attention, but grab attention with promo via FB/Twitter/etc. In my opinion, at least.