Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th February 2014, 11:36 PM   #1
max909

Default Big Brands Manipulating Search

I don't know about my fellow forum members but with the many changes and updates to Search Engine Optimization, sometimes it feels as though us "little guys" have to work double-time in order to keep up with the advances and make sure that we color inside of the lines while competing with the big boys.

Google has a tendency to penalize newbies; as an example, I have a friend who bought an existing domain from a popular re-seller and a short time later, he ended up getting penalized because the site had around two thousand backlinks with 60%+ optimized anchor text to the domain. Of course he had no idea what this meant so when he contacted me about it, I had no idea how to help him. This was a new domain, he barely got through building the site and yet, already he was looking at penalties.

I included the latter in my post as an illustration of a mistake that a newbie can run into and while my friend had no control over what occurred with the domain prior to his ownership, he was dead in the water right out of the gate.

This brings me to the point of my post; I ran into a blog that had an interesting post, pointing out some big-named brands that are quite possibly getting away with search manipulation.

You can check it out here since I can't quote the entire posting http://godofseo.co/research/big-bran...#axzz2ts1pXMqr . It was an informative blog post and I'm passing it along because it read like an investigative piece on SEO.

The big-named brands are getting away with a slap on the wrist, if that, while lesser known brands are being penalized without discretion. Where does the double standard end? Google needs a new formula to balance the scales.

Those are my two cents, please let me know what your thoughts and experiences are. What if anything can you share as it relates to SEO practices to stay away from?

Thanks,

Max

Last edited by max909; 21st February 2014 at 09:13 PM.
max909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st February 2014, 08:15 PM   #2
Taviuss

I think one of the biggest things you can do is to post in a few strong keywords.

Don't overwhelm your site with keywords - the more you have, over a certain number, the more likely you are to get hit.

One of the big things that the big sites have going for them, they are already recognized. This gives them a higher ranking.

Go to keywordplanner in google.com's adwords. You can set up an account for free , and it will give you a number of searches for your keywords.

It will also give ideas for similar keywords to get you really seen.

Taviuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2014, 09:18 PM   #3
max909

Thank you Taviuss, I appreciate your feedback and entirely agree with all of your points. I also recommend looking into the keyword tools, it is a sound tool that too few start-up site owners know about. It's very easy to confuse good content with inflated content when you are starting out, overloading your website with too much duplication is something that newbies definitely need to steer clear of.

Thanks again

max909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd February 2014, 12:56 PM   #4
TimmyGriffin

Speaking of changes in SEO and the SERP. Google has been fined $5 billion by the EU Committee on accusations of monopolism, so there will be some changes in Google SERPs in the European Union, in regards to showing the searchers more choices from different competitors (this includes AdWords and Places as well).
The actual memorandum can be found here:
http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-14-87_en.htm

TimmyGriffin is offline   Reply With Quote