Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th November 2010, 01:35 PM   #1
rdcclu

I would suggest starting a mobile coupon campaign.

This would build a mobile opt-in list using a different channel. It seems your business is one where "alerts" on things that change in the payroll tax arena would be of interest to business owners.

Mobile coupons have been shown to have a higher redemption value than traditional coupons. Plus there is no printing costs and people don't usually lose a coupon that is on their phone.

rdcclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th November 2010, 10:54 PM   #2
JLeesCastro

Send a message via Skype™ to JLeesCastro

I would definitely suggest doing at least 15% discount on a coupon. 10% or less really is not going to influence significantly different behavior in your target customers.

Joanna

JLeesCastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 07:54 PM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Karen,
I think you're making this far too complicated. First of all, I didn't look at your site (sorry) maybe I should.

With respect to online marketing, you have to hit it hard. 15% discount? I wouldn't waste my time. Sorry.. that's just from experience. Time limits? That will only frustrate people, and you're setting yourself up for the fall.

I have a couple of ideas... so I am going to stop now and look at your site.. then pick this up. Be back in a minute.

OK... I get it. You're selling the software product. From what I could see (or couldn't see) is that you have no way of getting visitors e-mail addresses. If you do... it's not very prominent.

You have to give people a reason to sign up. Give them something... the 30 day free trial is a great idea. I like that and think it fits with most. What is best is that if you can get users to 'load up' information and stuff so that at the end of the trial... all those entries will be lost unless they purchase. Anyway.... I am not sure it's something I would purchase on the 'first visit' to your site (or any site). For that reason, you have to build your list of visitors and continue to give them compelling reasons to purchase.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by BeTheBest; 7th November 2010 at 07:58 PM.
BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th November 2010, 04:22 PM   #4
GoingLocal

Wish I had seen this thread earlier...
BeTheBest said a lot of good things here. You need a way to build a relationship with your prospects and customers. Not only is it easier to make special offers to them, but in the off season you can cross sell training material, mobile apps (spend tracking?), and many other things that build and brand your business. side from the benefit of keeping your brand "front of mind" aiding in word of mouth advertising.

if you want to go the coupon route you can add this to your Google Places listing .. this alone will help it show higher in search results.

on the other side, maybe make a "freeware" version that prevent emailing, printing, or filing until the full version is purchased. If I'm not mistaken, you can have your programmers mess-up the "screen capture" so if people try doing an "alt-printscreen" they capture a black image... I think it has something to with blank overlays...

anyway, I do strongly recommend getting a list capture system implemented. aWeber has many strong recommendations. From there choose between the freeware option above, using published coupons, or providing special links in your followup emails that go to special discounted order pages (easier to manage then coupons).

late thing... what usually sells better then coupons is bundling. maybe you can offer people who purchase before X date a free tax guide, or video tutorials for your software, or...... be creative (but relevant!) here.

Hope that helps.

GoingLocal is offline   Reply With Quote