Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th November 2010, 05:56 PM   #1
lenzcrafter

Default Fell Off Google Maps!

How can this happen?

I have been a prominant feature of this for many years!!!

I featured highly for most of my keywords - Driving School Bristol, Driving Lessons Bristol etc etc even when Google changed how they displayed their results!

Then one day i decided to add a few pics and i little bit of extra info plus a free phone number. This seems to have knocked me off the map section completely when searching for the above keywords!!

Can anyone help?
Regards
Matt.

Old 4th November 2010, 10:39 PM   #2
Smart Alex

Default RE: Fell of Google Maps

Hi,
I am sorry to hear your listing is gone....
You never know why you may "fall off" from Google Maps; Google changes their algorythms often and even a small change may have a negative impact. I suspect that adding a phone number might have caused Google to think you are a new or different business. When you create your profile they will identify you by your phone number and address. Changes in those two attributes often cause problems. I would suggest removing the toll free and see what happens. It will probably take a while to get back up there...

Good luck!

SmartAlexMarketing

Smart Alex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 03:57 AM   #3
Hampers
VIP Contributor

Wink It happens and it can drive you crazy tryig to work out why...

I have a serious love hate relationship with the search engine.

They want blog posts? I give them blog posts!

They want forum comments? I give them forum comments!

They want something - ANYTHING? They get it!

And I can be page one number one, and then suddenly, I am top of page two.

I think search engines are constantly evolving and we are merely trying to keep up. That's what makes it so much FUN!

Good luck!

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2010, 01:14 PM   #4
rdcclu

Who can read Google's mind? It could be any number of things, but let me take a stab at a couple possibilities.

The problem most likely occurred with something you added or changed.

1. Did you change the phone number/business name/address? Each of these must be consistent with your original listing as well as how you are listed in the phone book.

2. Did you inadvertently create a second listing? Google has experienced "Google Local Listing Spam" where people submit a bunch of listings for the same business. Even one "duplicate" listing can mess things up.

3. I would not consider all to be lost. You could reappear just as fast. In the meantime, concentrate on getting as many reviews as you can as this is one aspect Google gives weight to. Also take the time to get listings in the other 25+ local directories. Again, use the same information in every listing to remain consistent.

rdcclu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 07:29 AM   #5
DavidHawke

Send a message via Skype™ to DavidHawke

Google maps is targeted at "local businesses". People that are not local to you will not see your listing anyway.

So, there is really no reason to have a toll free number in the first place, local callers aren't paying long distance to call you. With cell phones today, most people aren't paying long distance charges anyway.

My thought is that if you change your phone number back to a local number your listing will probably come back.

Old 8th November 2010, 07:32 AM   #6
lenzcrafter

True, I think that can be the problem.

I have changed the number back to the local number so i HOPE i get back on very soon.

Cheers

Matt.

Old 9th November 2010, 01:33 AM   #7
Hampers
VIP Contributor

I like the idea of a toll free number for bigger orders.

Hampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2010, 01:33 PM   #8
jpub

Did you have any words in your business title field other than your business name? Google forbids keywords in the title - something lots of businesses were doing not too long ago.

jpub is offline   Reply With Quote