Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd June 2009, 03:32 AM   #1
Nutty
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to Nutty

Default Ages Using Internet

Hola

I have a new client and we are building a new website and carrying out SEO, he said a very strange thing to me the other day which kind of contradicted what we are doing, he said

"people over 40 do not use the internet"

I was stunned by his comment and I wondered why we were even bothering, especially as their clients are over 40, not to mention that every single client I have is over 40, my husband is 41 and a programmer! LOL

I wondered if anyone knew the best place to find reports on the age group of users on the internet, I would like to show them stats, personally I would say the 40+ age group would be a high user of the internet next to the kids!

Thanks

Simone

Old 22nd June 2009, 08:08 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

Hey, don't be so quick to throw me in that group. I'm only 37!

Old 22nd June 2009, 02:03 PM   #3
BBlackwood

Here are the stats from 2006:

http://www.itfacts.biz/internet-acti...age-group/5652

I'm sure you can find even more up-to-date info if you search the Web.

Also, it has lately been reported that Facebook and Twitters users over 40 are the fastest-growing demographic.

BBlackwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2009, 02:15 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Well, according to this article, in February of 2009, something like 22% of Facebook users were over the age of 35. In addition, the fastest-growing groups on Facebook were (in order) those 45-54 years old (+165.8%), those 35-44 years old (+138.7%) and those 55+ years old (+137.8%). And these sorts of growth rates have been pretty consistent from at least late 2007 on.

Of course, Facebook isn't "the Internet," but it's on the Web.

You might also find some useful information in one of the charts found in this PDF released by Nielsen Online in August 2008. Indicates that about half of all Internet users are over the age of 35, including 23% over the age of 55. Not only are older folks (myself included) a large group online, they spend more time online than those in younger age groups.

Scroll down to the second page to see the age breakdown.

This is apparently a pretty consistent result. I also found this article from 2006, showing that those over the age of 50 represented the largest age group online.

HTH dispel some of the "older folks aren't online" myths under which your client is currently laboring...

--Torka

Old 25th June 2009, 05:48 AM   #5
esanders

Default expected results

The results are as expected

esanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2009, 12:01 AM   #6
acwebguru
VIP Contributor

People who are over 40 have an usual inhibition or apartheid for Internet. But they are fast overcoming this inhibition as Internet is fast becoming a part of our lifestyle. I am 23 and I just cannot spend a day without accessing Google. I feel terrified at the idea of not getting connected to internet.

acwebguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2009, 01:15 PM   #7
hlassetter

I'm 48 and my husband is 58 and we use the internet everyday. Wouldn't have it any other way.

hlassetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2009, 03:33 AM   #8
Wayne Liew

Send a message via Skype™ to Wayne Liew

This is the common assumption I would say but it's not true. A lot of business owners discard certain marketing strategies such as online marketing and social media marketing because of such assumptions and I can only say that they are missing out on a huge opportunity.

Think about this. There might be some out there that are still not getting on the Internet. However, the trends show that there will be more people getting online every year.

Test test and test. Yes, if you are serving those who are currently in their 80s, online marketing may not be wise but for long term, yes.

Old 9th July 2009, 06:18 AM   #9
Networking FL

Don't believe now old age people also started to using internet so not to worry you can go ahead.

Networking FL is offline   Reply With Quote