Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th October 2006, 11:50 PM   #1
deedeedum

Default My Site Ranks #1 For Several Keywords, Now How Do I Make Money?

Hi guys,

I have been reading this forum for a long long time, but this is the first time I am posting.

To give you a little background info, there's a popular high-end brand that is VERY commonly misspelled. In fact, about 40% of the searches for this brand is made with the misspelled brand. My website's domain contains this misspelled brand name in it, and ranks #1 on Google after a little playing around with it. Right now, it's just an informational site and I am not running AdSense or anything to generate money. There's also no affliate programs for this type of products.

The products made by that brand are very expensive, probably around $3000-$5000 for one item.

What would be a good way to make money off of this? Any ideas?

Also, would AdSense pay me very well? since I am sure advertisers are paying big money for Google ads on this brand.

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

deedeedum is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 29th October 2006, 08:57 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

I would start with adsense and test the waters there. How much you make is based on several variables including -

1) What advertisers are bidding and amount of competition
2) How many visitors click on your ads which is a function partly of how many visitors, how qualified they are plus how the ads are integrated within your site. You can really boost your earnings by focusing on this area and test, test, test!

You might want to read thru Adsense optimization tips -

https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...page=tips.html

In particular their heatmap of where is best to place advertising

https://www.google.com/adsense/suppo...y?answer=17954

Based on my experiences, you will frequently get the best results from adsense. Consider using more than one ad on a page and more than one type of ad (context vs image vs adlinks).

Outside of that, perhaps some well matched affiliate products/services might be relevant to your visitors and provide a route to earn money. I usually don't find this provides nearly as much as adsense though.

Old 29th October 2006, 09:03 AM   #3
deedeedum

Logan,

Thanks, great advice. So I am guessing it's really really hard to predict how much revenue I can generate until I try it?

I actually happen to own a business that sells some products/accessories for this brand, so I guess I also use it as a way to find potential customers.

Definitely going to test the water with Google Ads.

Thanks!

Old 29th October 2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Yeah, impossible for me to say. Even once you add Adsense most publishers will see some fluctuations in earnings. Its a chaotic system in some ways, where the number of advertisers, bids, traffic are not constant. Additionally, where your ads are place can have a dramatic impact. For example, ads placed front and center versus just ads placed in the footer will provide two completely different results. Plus you have the option to place ads at the top and bottom or multiple places. These factors play a big role in how much you make based on my experiences. So not possible to say really. The best solution is to run and test. Guage results and then make decisions from there. Don't accept that your first results are the best possible though. test, test, test. you can often improve your earnings over time by improving the integration of your ads.

Definitely if you can sell direct from the site, consider that as well.

Old 29th October 2006, 09:25 AM   #5
deedeedum

awesome, thanks

Old 30th October 2006, 01:31 AM   #6
TMCG

shouldn't you be cautious about purposely mispelling a BRAND?

i mean let's just say it was CHEERIOS...and you spelled it XHEERIOS.

technically, this could get you into some trouble...no?

if the brand name is more generic than i would say it's cool, but if not, they could come after you for...i forget the term, but it violates trademark laws.

just food for thought.

misspelling like topics...for instance "entrepreneur" and spelling it "entrepeneur" - that's A okay. but brand names?

thoughts?

TMCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2006, 07:36 AM   #7
deedeedum

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeriCountry View Post
shouldn't you be cautious about purposely mispelling a BRAND?

i mean let's just say it was CHEERIOS...and you spelled it XHEERIOS.

technically, this could get you into some trouble...no?

if the brand name is more generic than i would say it's cool, but if not, they could come after you for...i forget the term, but it violates trademark laws.

just food for thought.

misspelling like topics...for instance "entrepreneur" and spelling it "entrepeneur" - that's A okay. but brand names?

thoughts?
That's a good point, any thoughts?

Old 30th October 2006, 08:02 AM   #8
Logan
Administrator

Just my two cents - Americountry does make a good point and each individual must make their own decisions. I don't think there is a conclusive blanket answer available. Imo, its a matter still working its way thru the courts to some extent. For example, using trademarks within for your ppc ads has been something that has gone thru the courts a bit. Notice when you do a search for "Microsoft" in google and you will see adwords ads from other companies based on the microsoft trademark. Do a search for google or yahoo on google and no adwords. Differences in trademark enforcement perhaps?

My own personal experience is that there are appropriate and legitimate ways to use trademarked terms within your web site. I personally don't encounter a lot of issues with companies enforcing their trademark. But technically, I agree a trademark is to be used by the company that has registration rights to it. When I have had experiences with a company with a trademark having issue with use of their term it is common that they send a cease and desist and provide notification to you. My experiences are that if you act based upon the cease and desist then any risk is minimal ... if you do comply with their request when notified. One factor is that technically it is the responsibility of the trademark or servicemark owner to enforce their mark.

The above are my experiences from working with a wide variety of clients who often all don't make the same decisions when I inform them of my experiences. Over time the clients I do have experiences with and do choose to stretch the lines have gotten a bit more savvy in 'getting around' any gray lines by using text that makes comparisons to "Trademark brand" or other tactics. For example, many large companies do use other's trademarks within their advertising to make comparisons to their competitors.

When it comes to morals and ethics you need to make your own decision and this is a personal one in my opinion. I think the most ethical decision is to avoid any use of someone's trademark in any variation. On the flipside, if you use their trademark and providing advertising to their distributors (via adsense ads) are you violating their trademark by having a page about their products/services and adsense showing others advertising for this trademark term. Isn't adsense also breaking trademark violations by showing ads based on your content in this scenario. Its a murky area imo - and if you do so and act responsibily if provided a cease and desist then the chances of any harm/damages are very minimal based on my experiences of working with a variety of clients facing the same sort of scenario with trademarks.

I will say this regarding the biggest factor perhaps, whether you encounter problems is most likely a factor of the company with the trademark. Some companies actively search and enforce their trademarks. An example being Tempur-Pedic based on my experiences. They search for, review and enforce any use of their trademark by those not authorized to do so. Many years ago they sent a client of mine a cease and desist for use of their name once in their site. Today you search google for "Tempur-Pedic" and there are a bunch of adwords showing (i.e.Tempur-Pedic Buying Guide). Maybe Tempur-Pedic doesn't enforce anymore or hasn't had success doing so. I'm not sure. Have I violated their trademark by using it within my post here?

Others/most companies don't do a thing even if they are aware of your use of their trademark (w/ the line of thinking is that you are promoting their branding).

Old 30th October 2006, 09:59 AM   #9
deedeedum

I think the same way you do. I see that there are forums and other sites out there with their brand embedded in the domain and they have been around for a while. I seriously doubt they would sue anyone as it's actually helping their online presence. Overall, I don't think (and I hope not) that this will become a legal issue.

Thanks guys, you guys are great!.