Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Newsletters and Email Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th March 2010, 01:59 PM   #1
ABM

Default Email Marketing For Small Businesses

We're a smaller business and looking to try out an email marketing service that works well in conjunction with Salesforce. We only send emails to approx 1200 or so clients, so we're in the search for a program that's affordable and efficient. We are currently using Cooleremails but it does not work well with Salesforce. Any small business owners have a good suggestion?

ABM is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th March 2010, 04:14 AM   #2
allisa

It has become increasingly more difficult to promote a business using e-mail. Spam clogs up in-boxes and most people are quick to delete without reading the deluge of mail they receive. So what would you like to say on it.

allisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 05:14 AM   #3
jamessmith

Hi,
I am agreeing with Allisa, now days most people are rapid to delete without reading the inundation of mail they receive. Email marketing is quite difficult for any business.

Thanks

jamessmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2010, 10:42 AM   #4
ABM

Default Suggestions for a service/program?

I agree that email marketing can get annoying when overdone, but we are not spamming. We are only sending helpful, informational emails to our current clients once or twice a month.

I would really appreciate any suggestions for an email marketing service that works well with salesforce. Thanks!

ABM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2010, 10:25 AM   #5
PTF

Hi ABM

The above comments are all valid - but you can still make a success of email marketing if your strategy is right.

I can't see where you're based, but I use a company called Newzapp. They have a good range of packages, great tracking and reporting, and the cost is affordable.

YMMV

Cheers

PTF

Old 15th April 2010, 09:32 PM   #6
startupleads

Default Go With Campaign Monitor

I recommend Campaign Monitor, it's affordable and their design tools/templates are very nice. My background is as a designer and they are a favorite amongst that community. The also have nice reporting tools that make it easy to share campaign results. They are set up to be used by someone who sends emails for a list of clients, but it works just fine for an individual organization. They are very affordable as well.

We used to use them but moved to ActOn which is a more robust marketing solution with form builders, double posts to CRM, Webinar integration with WebEx, etc. but they are expensive for a small business. We pay about $1200 a month to mail to a list of up to 25,000 as many times a month that we need.

Regarding the comments about the ineffectiveness of email marketing, I have to disagree when it comes to emailing your own clients. Email is a vital part of our marketing efforts, especially when it comes to event registration and informing them of new products and functionality.

startupleads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2010, 11:05 PM   #7
rvnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABM View Post
We're a smaller business and looking to try out an email marketing service that works well in conjunction with Salesforce. We only send emails to approx 1200 or so clients, so we're in the search for a program that's affordable and efficient. We are currently using Cooleremails but it does not work well with Salesforce. Any small business owners have a good suggestion?

If you are a nontechie, goahead with Getresponse.com. Otherwise install your own autoresponder to do email marketing.

Old 26th April 2010, 09:03 AM   #8
Bob McCarthy

Default I like Constant Contact

In spite of the over-saturation, email marketing is great tool for lead nurturing and customer communications.

Yes, a lot never gets opened or acted upon - but so what, it's very inexpensive.

There are dozens of do-it-yourself systems out there that are pretty easy to learn and use. Constant Contact, iContact, Aweber and Vertical Response are just a few of them.

I've been using Constant Contact for several years - and I recommend them to all of my clients. It's just $15 month to start. Price is based on the size of your list. (For a list size of 1200, it might be $30 a month.) But you can send unlimited emails to your list. They also have a Survey feature which I like a lot.

Check it out - here's their link:

http://www.constantcontact.com/index.jsp

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. I often set this up for clients, then work with them until they get the hang of it.

Bob

Bob McCarthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2010, 12:50 PM   #9
BrittMalka

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvnet View Post
If you are a nontechie, goahead with Getresponse.com. Otherwise install your own autoresponder to do email marketing.
I'm a techie - I wanted to do it all myself, and to have it all on our own server.

BUT that was a serious mistake!

The autoresponders (I tried several scripts, I bought) all worked until a certain point, where I send out too many mails to too many subscribers, and then they screwed it all up seriously! They send off the same mail again and again, and many people got upset and left.

That's when I went to Aweber. It's not perfect, but I like it, and I haven't seen better yet.

Old 7th May 2010, 10:05 PM   #10
Ravedesigns

I like icontact and mailchimp myself and know that mailchimp integrates with salesforce and some other services http://www.mailchimp.com/blog/mailch...ise-batchbook/

Not sure about icontact, but most of the major players seem to play well with others. ;-)