Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Direct Mail
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st March 2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Juliusanderson

Default Direct Marketing?

Business products and services have long used direct mail to promote themselves. Traditionally, this worked in one of two ways. As a direct sale, therefore precluding the use of a salesperson or a retail store, or as a method of generating leads for a salesforce.

Now-a-days while many marketers like this form of marketing, some direct marketing efforts using particular media have been criticized for generating unwanted solicitations. For example, direct mail that is irrelevant to the recipient is considered junk mail, and unwanted email messages are considered spam.

What are your opinions about the direct marketing?

Juliusanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st April 2009, 06:38 PM   #2
recs

Default I hope it works

I am in the process of getting a direct mail campaign underway, so I hope it does work. I am going through the process of getting the correct profile for my recipients. I have employed a very expensive copywriter. My only concern is that although direct marketing is meant to be the most effective forms of marketing at the moment, I feel I am making a fatal error. I am not sending out test samples to refine my strategy, but there is method to my madness. My company prides it self on being exclusive, so I dont want people to be pasted with advertising. Secondly one of the reasons for people to "act now" is because they need to act before a certain date. If I send it out to early there will be no urgency so I wont get a good response rate. Is it madness or good strategy?

recs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd April 2009, 07:31 AM   #3
Tim Schaefer

Quote:
Originally Posted by recs View Post
I am in the process of getting a direct mail campaign underway, so I hope it does work. I am going through the process of getting the correct profile for my recipients. I have employed a very expensive copywriter. My only concern is that although direct marketing is meant to be the most effective forms of marketing at the moment, I feel I am making a fatal error. I am not sending out test samples to refine my strategy, but there is method to my madness. My company prides it self on being exclusive, so I dont want people to be pasted with advertising. Secondly one of the reasons for people to "act now" is because they need to act before a certain date. If I send it out to early there will be no urgency so I wont get a good response rate. Is it madness or good strategy?
You could easily send out a test with an even more exclusive message as your "reason why" you're sending it to just a few to begin with.

"If you're reading this letter, then you're one of the select few chosen to receive this special offer first, before the general public even knows about it..."

And so on.

Either move the reply-by date up for the test, or offer a fast-acting bonus if they reply by a certain date that's closer than the main one you've sent to help boost the urgency.

Are you sending this to a cold list (one who's never bought from you) or is this a list of past customers?

There's no need to worry about "pasting" your list with advertising if you're doing a direct mailing. Pull out names from you main list, do the test, then if successful roll out to the rest of the list. Everyone gets the same amount of mail.

Talk this through and brainstorm with your copywriter if you haven't already. An expensive one should be able to help develop these sort of strategies. (Because we know the actual words are just a small part of the success of a DM campaign.)

Tim Schaefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2009, 05:05 PM   #4
CutCompCosts

Anyone know of any sites that can show you how to design a mailer? Specifically the ad content. I'm in the process of setting up a mailer and want to make sure I have effective content. It's for a B2B service.

CutCompCosts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th April 2009, 04:46 PM   #5
smartbookings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliusanderson View Post
Business products and services have long used direct mail to promote themselves. Traditionally, this worked in one of two ways. As a direct sale, therefore precluding the use of a salesperson or a retail store, or as a method of generating leads for a salesforce.

Now-a-days while many marketers like this form of marketing, some direct marketing efforts using particular media have been criticized for generating unwanted solicitations. For example, direct mail that is irrelevant to the recipient is considered junk mail, and unwanted email messages are considered spam.

What are your opinions about the direct marketing?
You need to be sure your market is targeted before you send anything to get a recent roi

smartbookings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2009, 10:20 PM   #6
Samuel Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by recs View Post
You should try a countdown approach. This means you announce your upcoming sale as a future date and then you follow up with another wave of mailing that's as the event is imminent. that means you will mail people twice but it is also a legitimate pieces of mail... first an announcement, second the reminder, etc. etc. This allows you to contact people multiple times, the perception of sending too many promotions .

Samuel Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2009, 11:44 PM   #7
veronica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuel Craig View Post
You should try a countdown approach. This means you announce your upcoming sale as a future date and then you follow up with another wave of mailing that's as the event is imminent. that means you will mail people twice but it is also a legitimate pieces of mail... first an announcement, second the reminder, etc. etc. This allows you to contact people multiple times, the perception of sending too many promotions .
Hey this sounds a good idea. Sending follow ups may work out. And the most important thing in the email marketing is to reach out targeted audience. If not they will considered as junk mails as Juliusanderson said. Business directories can give you the required updated contact details. I'm using a online business directory, which is much more reliable. It helps me to get contact details of relevant audience. Try it out. Iím sure it will help you.

veronica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2009, 01:20 AM   #8
up.louise

IMHO, the important thing to consider in direct mailing is the approach of the mail. Giving-off a personal touch to your business' mail for the customer will make them feel important (well, they are). Maybe you can address their name on the mail as if you're talking to them, and of course, make sure that you get the customer's name right.

Last edited by up.louise; 12th June 2009 at 08:17 PM.
up.louise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th June 2009, 10:04 AM   #9
touchkit

Quote:
Originally Posted by up.louise View Post
IMHO, the important thing to consider in direct mailing is the approach of the mail. Giving-off a personal touch to your business' mail for the customer will make them feel important (well, they are). Maybe you can address their name on the mail as if you're talking to them, and of course, make sure that you get the customer's name right.
Itís not about ďmake them feel importantĒ
Itís a fact, high personalized mail is way more efficient than just a generic layout.
Samuel is right Ė one mail piece isnít enough. The direct mail/marketing campaigns I develop are deployed for an extended period of time Ė announcement, special offers, reminders, thank you letters, etc.
Most of the mail includes coupons Ė personalized for each recipient based on a data base/market algorithm. And donít forget, a successful direct mail campaign is supported by personalized emails/PURLs (personalized URLs/web pages).
How many of you are using variable image content and/or PURLs with again, high level of personalization and interactivity?
Get your recipients involved, you will drag them into your store and buy your products/services.

touchkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
gregdbowen

Default Bloggs!

With the arrival of blogs and social networking - all interruption based marketing is taking a hit - look at what is happening to newspapers - or tried to find an antique store lately? They are all gone where I live, everyone is on ebay.

That being said - I am not one of those that think that all energy should go to passive marketing - but make sure your direct mail pieces include a strong call-to-action back to your blog and website. Close loops!

gregdbowen is offline   Reply With Quote