Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th April 2010, 06:33 PM   #1
TruthMonger

Default Help Needed for a Business Idea

Hello Folks,

I was hoping someone out their with a lot more experience then me could provide some guidance on how to get a business idea evaluated without exposing it to others first. I have an idea that I have been sitting on for 4 years now and I think its time to see if it can work. Is there any way to have someone with a common sense business knowledge listen to my idea? I am a complete novice when it comes to launching and operating a potential start-up business and I would appreciate any and ALL opinions. Thank you in advance for your input.

TruthMonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th April 2010, 04:49 AM   #2
ronaldirani

Hi,

I am also new to this forum. I don't think i'm most experienced person to suggest you. Anyhow you reached a better place to adivse you.

All the Best for your future business.

ronaldirani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 07:20 AM   #3
mktgbiz

Sure, shoot me a PM......

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2010, 07:36 PM   #4
dexxxt

I'm happy to listen, if you're happy to listen to my ideas too

dexxxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th April 2010, 10:45 PM   #5
cfoservices

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthMonger View Post
Hello Folks,

I was hoping someone out their with a lot more experience then me could provide some guidance on how to get a business idea evaluated without exposing it to others first. I have an idea that I have been sitting on for 4 years now and I think its time to see if it can work. Is there any way to have someone with a common sense business knowledge listen to my idea? I am a complete novice when it comes to launching and operating a potential start-up business and I would appreciate any and ALL opinions. Thank you in advance for your input.
Anyone who you present the idea to needs to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement. This will hold the recipient of the information to confidentiality. You still should know this person and have some type of relationship with them so you develop trust. Even though you have a signed Non-Disclosure Agreement you must still trust the person you are speaking to about the idea as people can back door the Non-Disclosure Agreement is their intent is to cheat you.

Old 3rd May 2010, 12:35 PM   #6
jumbojim

Default advice

Hey,

I'm sure that everyone who's started a business has felt the same way....

Here's what I did that really helped me...

I did a small market test before I invested a bunch of time and money in the idea....I set up a landing page and tracked how many "conversions" I got...After people clicked my "add to cart" button, I had a page that said "I'm sorry, but the product is not available at this time" and I put a spot for an email address to get them on my list and I told them i'd email them when the product was available.

If you get a lot of good responses, then go forward. If not, then cut your losses and move on.

Trust me, I've had a ton of ideas that made sense in my mind and I was sure that they would succeed in the world - but when I took action and made it available to purchase, it didn't go over so well...

Other times, I had products that I thought might not do so well, but have made me a ton of money...

Yes, it does have a lot to do with your marketing, but the main thing is to gauge if there is a market for your product. The saying goes, "it's much easier to fill demand then create it."

Do this, and you'll be ahead of 99% of other entrepreneurs. It took me years to learn this lesson, and I wish that I had someone to tell me about it sooner!

jumbojim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2010, 04:53 AM   #7
dediscameras

I really want to start my own business but I'm short of ideas. Has anybody got any? what gaps are there in the market?

dediscameras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 09:14 AM   #8
rcosman

Send a message via Skype™ to rcosman
Default Ideas

This is where so many people struggle! There are so many books, pages, programs, that will tell you how to execute it, but what about the ideas?
Here are a few:
Business Idea #2: Adult Day Care Business
Business Idea #20: Christmas Lighting Installation and/or Rental Service
Business Idea #33: Fundraiser Business
Business Idea #39: Graffiti Gone Business
Business Idea #47: Home Staging Business
Business Idea #53: Iphone Repair Business
Business Idea #77: Self Gardening Business
Business Idea #81: Staffing and Recruiting Business
Business Idea #93: Wedding Photo Editor
Business Idea #97: Toy Rental Service

I've got lots more.....

rcosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2010, 09:48 PM   #9
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

As someone suggested earlier make sure you have the Non Disclosure Agreement signed before you present the idea to someone. I would also suggest that you execute your idea a little bit with a prototype and show it to someone to find its potential. You don't have to disclose everything in the prototype; just enough to convey your plans.

From my personal experience and those of other friends who have worked on start-ups I can tell you that there are many other people out there who have similar idea as yours. The mere idea does not make a successful business; execution of the idea is many times more important. You want to tart executing it small steps at a time and getting feedback along the way to refine it further.

If you want to discuss one-on-one shoot me a PM.

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 05:41 AM   #10
PremOutshine

Perhaps this is the problem of every people, I guess. Most of the people ponder what to start and all. I would simply suggest opt a simple business (it can be anything)and go for it. Look at the surrounding.. see what's the main stuffs that lacking. Go for it.. also if the product exist go and make a revamp version of it, it should work no?
Check out the example of twitter.. when it started people started questioning it's the most dumbest idea ever but see now! i think people should learn from this. Also, some business consulting companies might help you as well.
Good luck all.

PremOutshine is offline   Reply With Quote