Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st March 2005, 06:50 AM   #1
sams

Question NO Description 'cached' link & 'Supplemental Result' in Google SERPS. What it means ?

Hi,

I've notice many a times that when we query

site:www.website-name.com

in Google.

The SERPS show lists

www.yourwebsite.com/filename.htm
Similar pages

Page title
Description ...
www.yourwebsite.com/filename.htm - 7k - Supplemental Result - Cached - Similar pages

as opposed to the usual

Page title
Description ...
www.yourwebsite.com/filename.htm - 7k - Cached - Similar pages

Can anyone please explain what is the difference between the absence of "Description" and the appearence of "Supplemental Result" as opposed to the usual listings format and
what does it indicate

sams is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st March 2005, 11:02 AM   #2
Old Welsh Guy

google adds pages to its database, but sometimes it doesn't spider and index the content right away. These are the url only results with no description etc The correct term is Partially INdexed Pages (pips)

Then you have a case where google decides that your pages are not important enough to be in their main index, and are added to the supplimental index. If no results are found in the main google index it returns results from its suplimental index.

Currently it doesnt indicate anything, as google is moving page here there and everywhere. What has gone on in the past few months was that google moved pages to its suplimental results index, and gave it a cache date of Dec 1969, these pages were typically pages that were classed as possible duplicates, and were eventually moved to PIPs, then removed from the index altogether. This no longer seems to be the pattern however.

Old 2nd March 2005, 01:17 AM   #3
sams

Thanks for the quick reply 'Old Welsh Guy'

Quote:
google adds pages to its database, but sometimes it doesn't spider and index the content right away.
Quote:
Then you have a case where google decides that your pages are not important enough to be in their main index, and are added to the supplimental index.
Now obviously both of these cases call for some drastic measures as more and more of previously indexed pages are now appearing as 'Supplemental Result'

For starters I've De-Optimized one of the website and now I have restored it to its previous form (with just very minimal Optimization like only unique Title & Metas). Inspite of this, initially Google fairly accepted all these new pages and then a couple of weeks later started tagging them as 'Supplemental Result' in the SERPS.

But what's even more freaky is that one of the website which even today after 9 months still enjoys good ranks for most of the (moderately) compitetive targeted keywords in the primary (includes Google) and almost all secondary SE's. And yet now somehow in Google these indexed pages have now started to appear with the 'Supplemental Result' tag in the SERPS.

Bcoz, the weird thing happening on this perticular site is that it shows in the SERPS for the keywords and the listing formats are as normal (with Description and NO 'Supplemental Result' tag).
It's ONLY when you query

site:www.website-name.com

in Google will you find in the SERPS the list of indexed pages but most of them now are shown with the 'Supplemental Result' tag. And what's worse as passage of time more and more pages being shown with the 'Supplemental Result' tag.

Unless all this has something to do with the third senario

Quote:
Currently it doesnt indicate anything, as google is moving page here there and everywhere. What has gone on in the past few months was that google moved pages to its suplimental results index, and gave it a cache date of Dec 1969, these pages were typically pages that were classed as possible duplicates, and were eventually moved to PIPs, then removed from the index altogether.
As I too have noticed it happening but that was sometime back and haven't noticed that since.
I am really worried as to what can I do to tackle this situation ?
Your thoughts, suggestions and advice would be highly apprectiated by me.

Old 2nd March 2005, 03:51 AM   #4
Old Welsh Guy

Sams, I would do nothing at the moment, this week alone my rugby forum went from having hundreds of suplimental pages to none overnight. There is a feeling that Google is washing its pages currently (although there is no real idea of why) so as long as the traffic is fine I would do nothing to combat it..

Old 2nd March 2005, 04:21 AM   #5
sams

Default RE: NO Description 'cached' link & 'Supplemental Result' in Google SERPS. What it mea

I guess then its a wait and watch kinda situation for me 'but for the moment'.
The sad thing is that what we do sometimes for most of the websites that works great and yet somehow the same things does'nt work that well for some (even after being soo cautious).
So I guess let the mystery be solved by itslef, only not hopping that our pages become a history.

Thanks again for sharing those useful insights with me. I really appreciate.