Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Radio Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd July 2014, 11:02 AM   #1
Stratis

Send a message via Skype™ to Stratis

Default Thoughts?

I believe radio to be a next to dying market simply because people are sick and tired of push style marketing. I will agree that it does depend on your location but for the most part, I think people feel the same. Think about it... people who do radio are looking for the most ears and that tends to be in the morning and afternoon traffic hours. But, if you're like me, you aren't really paying attention to the radio ads but more focusing on not crashing into anyone during rush hour.
In our market over here, you're looking at $5000 PER WEEK average for unmeasurable results. How can you tell your campaigns are working? How do you measure the success? By foot traffic?

We focus our attention online as we can measure those results which in turn maximizes our marketing dollars. Couple that with effective offline strategies such as print and banners, both complement each other for a full circle marketing campaign.

Old 13th April 2015, 12:05 AM   #2
lawebdesign

Yes agree radio isn't as efficient but sometimes it's the only way to rach a target market.

lawebdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2015, 10:59 AM   #3
kdaniel171
VIP Contributor

As a listener , I love radio. Especially for local news & weather,music and a sense of company while getting ready for work in the morning.
I don't think it's dying and in some areas it's even getting better!

Old 17th April 2015, 11:34 AM   #4
DantheMan
VIP Contributor

Radio has changed over the last few decades. It's not just music, traffic, news and weird point of views anymore. Radio is on the internet and satellite now, it's not just local waves.

With all the stations focused being very specific, a target audience or customer segment is already self identified. If you can find your customer segment's stations, it could be a good choice for your marketing efforts. Run a small test.

You can use promo codes to identify where your customers came from and when they are listening. Entice existing customers to listen to your channel for discounts. Ask the radio stations if they'd like to talk about the problem you solve, tell everyone when to listen for that special offer. Track your customers and you'lol know which strategies are working best at what time and which aren't at all.

You might decide your own radio station is a great idea. You might decide a podcast is more efficient. You might confirm (for your business) radio is a dead end.

As for music, maybe not everyone's first choice anymore.

DantheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th December 2015, 08:50 AM   #5
Elfen

Radio is a background medium and listening behavior is pretty much set. people listen to the same radio stations at specific times day in and day out. This, one spot is listened to 6 or 7 times a week by the person who listens to the radio station at the time when your ad is placed. If he listens another time, he will never hear your commercial. That is why advertisers on radio pretty much spread their spots in various dayparts.
Radio is effective when the material is created to harness the audience's theatre of the mind. If the listener can see products or visuals when he/she hears the ad. Otherwise, the ad is so immemorable and inconsequential, it could even be a nuisance.
Radio is a passive medium. The listener will not stop what he/she is doing to listen to every word you say in your ad. Work around this limitation. Thus the ad should be entertaining while intrusive. And should be tested for its noting score or the ability to be "heard/noted" and remembered.The best way to find those who know how to do advertising on the radio http://www.whereorg.com/Radio-Advertising-Inc-18678670

Last edited by Elfen; 30th December 2015 at 08:52 AM.
Elfen is offline   Reply With Quote