Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th August 2004, 11:15 AM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Cinema Advertising

Here is a short but interesting article about the growth of Cinema Advertising.

Fastest-Growing Ad Medium?
http://www.mediapost.com/dtls_dsp_ne...?newsID=262667

Snippet:
The fastest-growing sector of ad-supported media isn't cable TV, or even the Internet. It's cinema advertising.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th August 2004, 12:00 PM   #2
neofelis

I've noticed this. You actually don't have to get to the movies on time any more. Now, before the movie starts, there is a good 10 minutes worth of commercials and another 10 minutes of previews.

And at least on TV, the commercials cycle. If you go to the movies a lot, you get to see the same commercial over and over and over...

neofelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2004, 11:00 PM   #3
Richey

Very true, but does it work? I was thinking about it for my wife. Her website does very well, but its best not to have all of your eggs in one basket So I'm wondering if anyone has any numbers on it. Cost, ROI, etc. Or if someone knows someone who works for the theater chains selling that type of advertising.

Richey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2004, 09:52 AM   #4
copywriter

To be honest, I don't think it works very well. However, how could you possibly track it unless you added "Save 10% with the mention of this ad" or something to your screen?

Years ago, when this first started, I was thinking of going into it because of all the supposed benefits. You know, captive audience, longer exposure to your message, multiple repeats in a short period of time, etc. But then I started to "study" movie goers before the show started.

Most were talking to the person they came with while all these ads were being shown. Once the previews started, they began to pay attention, but the ads that came before the previews were pretty much wasted on them from my limited observations.

Not to mention, two hours (sometimes more) of intense mental stimulation was going to pass before the person left the theature to (possibly) take action on the ads they might have seen. I doubt seriously there would be any memory of that little boutique shoe shop just 3 blocks away as the patrons walked to their cars, all the while chatting about those amazing special effects