Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd October 2007, 10:34 AM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default New Article - Picking The Size Of Your Pond

Authored by: Jennifer Laycock

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/010813.html

A Snippet:

Whether you're talking about search marketing, blog marketing or any other form of online marketing, small businesses often find themselves competing as a little fish in a big pond. That can be frustrating when your time and your finances are limited. Sometimes those limitations mean you need to start looking for a pond that better fits the size of your marketing budget. I ran across a small business marketing column in the Roseville and Rocklin Today asking "How Big is Your Pond?"

Old 2nd October 2007, 11:20 AM   #2
Wilks_eye
VIP Contributor

Thanks for the article! It gave me very useuful insights that I would be using on some of blogs in the future. What a great and positive perspective on a big and competition-laden market: go ahead and specify.

Nice.

Wilks_eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 10:45 PM   #3
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Nice article and good info. The biggest problem that I run into with clients is that they want to be everything to everyone.

What I keep trying to tell them is that it's the USP or Unique Selling Proposition that makes their business shine! Trouble is, getting their head around the term 'unique'.

For that I created what I call my Acid Test. That is, sit back and scribble a list of all the things that you think make your company unique. It should be three or four points. Then... put your competition's logo on top of the list. Can you say the same for them? If you can say that any of your points applys to your competitor... then it's not unique to you!

It can be a little bit of a brain twister to get small business to think about what really makes them unique. But when it happens, it can turn out to be the reason for the new sales!

Hope this helps!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2011, 11:54 AM   #4
Lucky Adam

I am impressed with the theme of the article and the efforts worth appreciation. You have to focus on your value addition in order to win customer satisfaction.

Lucky Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2011, 10:48 PM   #5
n_touch

I agree sometimes find the different road can be the make or break point for a business. When working with our small businesses we go after avenues that are new and companies are staying away from. This helps is in a few ways.

1. The cost is always lower, and they are much more negotiable that someone that has been around a while

2. It builds us a relationship from the start. I have on magazine in town that grew from 10k it first month to 65k now in a few short years. The best thing is my ad prices have not changed once, and was told they will not since I was there from the beginning. Did I see a ton of business? No, but my roi was excellent since it was cheap and I didn't need to convert as many to cover costs.

What makes a great marketing company is the ability to find a different route, find something no one else is doing, and then go with it. The best part is, if you start to see that your competition is following you, then you know you are on the right path. Just like it stated in the article, many times that right path start at the smaller forgotten about pond. Excellent piece, thanks for sharing.

Old 24th April 2011, 12:46 PM   #6
erikfast

This applies at the tactical level as well, the day-to-day marketing decisions. Identifying the ideal clientele for your small business allows you to decide how large to structure your service area, and to who to target within that area. Consequently, the budget required to market effectively.

Old 3rd May 2011, 01:47 PM   #7
wadeinni

That was a very common sense article Jennifer. I find that whenever I deal with friends or anyone who want to start a business, especialy online, the first thing they want to due is make a great website that everybody will like. Then I stop them in their tracks and say NO. Focus on one thing and do that one thing well. I normally get the stubborn responses at at first but after I explain finding your niche or even a sub-niche they usually come around. The problem is many of them use Facebook, Yahoo, and many of the other huge successful internet companies and think that will be them very soon. Carving out your niche is so vital to your success as a small business.

wadeinni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Candice Robins

Wadeinni has a very good point. When advertising on the internet, businesses don't have the advantage of the "small pond" of their geographic location. So instead, an online business (with shoestring budget) must essentially choose a pond to jump into. A good way to make life easy for yourself is by using the (newly re-algorithm'd as of 5/11) google keyword tool to gauge the number of searches for a given term, and compare this info with the competition on the serp page.