Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th July 2008, 10:00 AM   #1
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Post Ex-Googlers Launch Rival Search Engine

Quote:
Ex-Googlers launch rival search engine

Developers of new engine say it offers a more comprehensive way to search the Internet.

July 28, 2008: 6:11 AM EDT

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) -- Anna Patterson's last Internet search engine was so impressive that industry leader Google Inc. bought the technology in 2004 to upgrade its own system.

She believes her latest invention is even more valuable - only this time it's not for sale.

The end result is Cuil, pronounced "cool." Backed by $33 million in venture capital, the search engine plans to begin processing requests for the first time Monday...
http://money.cnn.com/2008/07/28/tech...ion=2008072806

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th July 2008, 10:57 AM   #2
ginac84

Default RE: Cuil

I checked it out today and I like how how it lists search results. I will wait a little longer for it to catch up to Google before I REALLY start using it, but I like what I see so far.

ginac84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2008, 10:38 PM   #3
Schmoozii

Yep, the 2-3 column listing with images is pretty cool. Google should the columns and put it in their labs.

Schmoozii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2008, 01:26 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Nice to see something new. I'm not sure about the multiple column approach from a user standpoint. Usability is a factor with any search engine, and this seems off from that standpoint to me. just imo

I'm impressed by the size of their index they state. But as a sample search I did 'futons' and received no results. That doesn't seem right, and 'futon' has many results. Some bugs still there maybe.

Good to see something new, but I don't think it will impact things much.

Old 20th August 2008, 12:25 PM   #5
SashaMike

I would say no where near Google. Yes it is still in its budding stage but alot of ground needs to be gained!

Thank you

SashaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 10:49 AM   #6
T.I.M

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaMike View Post
I would say no where near Google. Yes it is still in its budding stage but alot of ground needs to be gained!

Thank you
Agreed.

T.I.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2008, 01:29 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

I met someone outside our circles in the past week. They brought it up when we were discussing what I did. So I'll give Cuil a plus on the roll out and publicity. The person I was talking to couldn't remember the search engine's name though.

Search technology is one thing, but branding is insurmountable at this point imo.

Old 22nd September 2008, 12:11 PM   #8
redmascot

Google is following a monopoly to maximize their revenues through Google Adwords. This is something which is making Google lag behind other search engines like Yahoo, and MSN.

Google became popular because of its latest/accurate results. These days Google is surely aiming to deliver accurate results , but their ranking filters and algorithm can eventually hit back Google like a Boomerang.

They are trying to maximize their Adwords/Adsense revenue, and to enable this they are deliberately holding back ranking of several useful websites. Whenever I have to search for some latest news, free software, free script etc etc, I have to rush immediately to MSN since it delivers latest results. Moreover MSN has emerged as a NO-ENTRY zone for Adult related websites. This will be a major boon for MSN. Their Image search is far much advance than Google

These days even Yahoo is gaining pace over Google by delivering latest results in their search engine. Surely Google has to wake up before it is too late. Their useless filters are making life miserable for genuine websites/forums to score top rankings on Google. Moreover it is making life miserable for search users by restricting their search results.

If you are searching for some new stuff then try searching on MSN. I am sure you wont be dissapointed with results. Surely Google needs some hard spanking.

10 years back nobody knew Google, but everybody knew Yahoo. You shouldn't be surprised if you see a whole new search engine emerging from outers-space

Meanwhile I have found several other search engines like Dogpile which are very accurate and effective, but still the popularity factor of Google is making other search engines look effeminate.

Nobody knows, but surely the current situation of stagnated results on Google and increasing Adsense/Adwords fraud can give rise to a whole new search engine .

redmascot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2008, 02:21 PM   #9
spencer

I've played with Cuil a few weeks back and I wasn't impressed, as I got mostly poor search results.

spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 10:14 AM   #10
Sporkman
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Once Touted As A Google Killer, Cuil May Deal With Search King

Cuil , the upstart search site launched by former Google engineers to a wave of publicity last year, isn't too cool to do business with its supposed rivals, Google or Yahoo.

Executives at the company, which says it has a bigger and better search engine than its better-trafficked rivals, are working on a deal to feature outside ads as it struggles to build a following...
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Once-T....html?x=0&.v=1

Sporkman is offline   Reply With Quote