Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Online Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th January 2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default The Truth About Marketing On MySpace

Dale King tells us why marketing on MySpace does not work.

"According to branding expert Rob Frankel, "MySpace has only one thing really going for it: eyeballs. Lots of eyeballs. But simply having eyeballs isn't nearly enough. If you recall, that's the mistake people made which led to the Internet bubble bursting."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ng/007601.html

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th January 2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator

MySpace wouldn't be my choice to target initially either for most things, but I do think the slant provided is extreme. You asked for examples, so I'll provide some - but at the same time I do want to emphasize I do not think this is a route for most.

For example, paid advertising on myspace has been successful for some and there are a ton of people. I think there is a difference with considering MySpace as a whole and a marketing tactic versus targeting specific audiences (or demographics) that visit myspace. Using the paid advertising myspace provides they can target your ads based on a number of self reported attributes. Say I had a dating site I wanted to advertise on myspace, I could have my campaign setup to show one ad to women and another ad to men. I could then refine the distribution to specific areas of the site and have my ad only shown to a specific age group based on what I want to target. There are tons of attributes they can target paid advertising to including geo location, interests, etc. That type of targeted paid advertising on myspace (which they provide for larger campaigns) is going to perform from a marketing standpoint on myspace ... while a generic dating ad blitzed out thru the entire site may not.

While that is paid advertising for the heavy hitters, and they create dedicated campaigns for musicians, etc that start at 50K+ ... that I believe does work ... most consider the social networking side of things regarding business promotion. With freelinks only up a short time, I have received one review of myspace marketing and it was positive -

Here is the full review of myspace submitted -

Quote:
I have been active on MySpace for about 5 months. I run a podcast that highlights independant musicians. I am constantly looking for new music to play on the podcast. I have found MySpace to be an excellent networking tool for my purposes. I have met several quality musicians that have submitted their music to the podcast, and I have also found a correlation between how active I am on MySpace and how many subscribers to the podcast that I receive. I am not sure how much the actual "link" to my podcast benefits me, but I have found that by networking on MySpace, I have grown my podcast in ways that I don't think I could have without it.
This review was provided by freshworship.com who I think is a member of this forum as well. So maybe he or others with positive experiences can jump in and share what they have been doing specifically to get some results. As Dale said in his article, show him

So if you are looking at myspace as a whole, I think you are correct that it is not going to work. If you have a specific audience and want to target or network, based on the two examples I've provided I am not convinced that it 'does not work'.... not for all, but some and musicians are different than veternarians when it comes to myspace. Some of your target audience may be there and it is the #1 site on the Internet so I wouldn't completely write it off. .... for now.

Old 27th January 2007, 06:20 AM   #3
Dale King
VIP Contributor

While my statements about MySpace were definitive, obviously, it can and does work for some businesses. However, for the vast majority, MySpace is simply not a viable or effective marketing option. I really do think your time would be better spent exploring other marketing and advertising avenues.

That being said, I do think MySpace is an excellent tool for networking.

Dale King

Last edited by Dale King; 27th January 2007 at 09:31 AM.
Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2007, 09:48 PM   #4
LAUREEN

Default My Space

Dale: I agree with you - there are many other ways to advertise other than my space and as entrepreneurs we should always look for new and innovative ways to market our products and services

LAUREEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2007, 02:33 AM   #5
kesoh

Myspace does work for some if you look at the ones that do work there are the ones that have over 500 freinds on there freinds list and they got in early when it was a good time to get in on always try everything to get product out there what ever that might be

kesoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2007, 04:25 PM   #6
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie
Smile

Here in the Philippines MySpace is not really a popular site for advertising or marketing your site.

It is basically used in personal purposes like meeting friends and family members who are living abroad.

Old 18th February 2007, 04:23 AM   #7
Zooped

Myspace is no place for small businesses for the fact that they will delete your profile if it is used for promotion. Unless you pay for advertising first.

Zooped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 06:48 AM   #8
pete
VIP Contributor

As the busiest place on the web, MySpace gets spidered several times a day by the major SE's. If it's good for nothing else, just getting your new address up there will get you spidered and listed quicker than any other way.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 07:03 AM   #9
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Pete wrote:
As the busiest place on the web, MySpace gets spidered several times a day by the major SE's. If it's good for nothing else, just getting your new address up there will get you spidered and listed quicker than any other way.
Actually, any popular, highly trafficked website gets spidered frequently.

Posting on popular forums like this one is much more effective.

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2007, 09:53 AM   #10
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

I have three views on this. Surprised?

View one... for my Internet/Marketing company, it is been very useful in finding employees and freelancers, which does help my business. I've received one new client and a couple others are coming around. For the most part it is used as a TOMA tool and one that demonstrates my active role in my community. You've read the articles here about becoming an expert... well that's what MySpace has done for my Internet and Marketing company.

View two... one of my clients is a high end floor care company. The owners are young and use MySpace for themselves. They asked me if they should create a profile for their company and I simply asked them to consider if their target customer would ever see it. The answer being no... no new profile.

View three... a success story. One of my clients is a special events night club and bar. Building the "friends list" and then posting the calendar and bulletins has in fact increased turn out on special and scheduled events. The night club hits the core MySpace demographic (21-35) and using it has had tangible results.

I guess just like most marketing methods, there is no one size fits all solution and though the MySpace shoe is flexible, it has its limitations and ... well ... it's rules.