Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > Print Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th October 2006, 02:10 PM   #1
tstyron

Default Advice On Our Start Up Magazine

Hello everyone!
I am new to this forum. But am looking for some extra advice & opinions on starting my own magazine. I have worked in the publishing field for 8 years now as a graphic artist & layout coordinator for 4 monthly & 2 biannual magazines for a very successful local magazine company. My cousin (who also has worked for this company with me as a Coordinator in the real estate dept.) & I are looking to go out on our own. We have a great niche in our area that has not been touched by any other publishing company. So far we have had a great response from potential advetisers about the magazines concept.

Is there anyone out there willing to help me sort through our ideas & give your opinions?

tstyron is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 5th October 2006, 09:34 PM   #2
simply4est

What kind of magazine is it? Is it just for local interest or widespread? I like writing articles but I've only been published a couple of times in a tiny hobby 'zine.

All the best with it!

Forest

simply4est is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2006, 01:08 AM   #3
netizen-x

You have been in the publishing industry for 8 years, then I guess you have all the experience and information required for starting a magazine.

Well I'd say, GO FOR IT.

netizen-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2006, 11:23 PM   #4
ssaab88

Default Make it Happen

I am going through to same phase you are, but you have more experience on you side. I am also a designer and didn't know much about publishing. I had to research for about three to six months before even attemping to write a business plan. So that is the first step.

1. Write a Business Plan

2. Design a Prototype of your magazine. Make it look like the real thing. You should have a 60 to 40 ratio - 60% content and 40% advetisement (this is the money maker along with subscribers)

2a. Find printers for you magazine. Search to web and pick the best one for you. Make the printer your friend they can make or break you design with quality.

3. Come up with a marketing plan. Do surveys to see if people will take to your idea. Promote your idea long before it goes to print or on web.

3a. Build a website and they (the readers) will come.

4. Find advertisers-this is where I am stuck, but you have it covered. Maybe you can help me with this part.

Also you can look for investors. They take part of your business, for a small or large fee, depending on who you pick.

I hope this helps. Also if you can tell me how to go about finding ads, that would be great. Talk to you later and have a great day and good luck.

ssaab88

Last edited by ssaab88; 20th December 2006 at 11:27 PM.
ssaab88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2006, 01:47 AM   #5
mfahey

Send a message via MSN to mfahey
Default magazine

I would love to know what your angle is. Is it both print and digital?

My site is an online guide in the home improvement market. Although it may not look like it, I have some GREAT designers throughout the world.

Post back and give us an update.

mfahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2007, 10:24 AM   #6
jimmyc

Do you have a link to your website so that I can take a look? I'm always looking for new digital magazine subscriptions

jimmyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 08:17 AM   #7
phae

Hello,

I am an experienced Publisher - I have owned local newspapers and magazines. I can advise on any aspect of magazine publishing...

Is your magazine paid for or Free to the reader???

I can answer questions on every aspect... But I need a bit more detail of what you want to know...

Phae

phae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2007, 02:54 PM   #8
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Hello there! Great to have you here.

Yes, what kind of magazine? How can we check your site? Best of luck!

Old 23rd April 2007, 09:20 PM   #9
east2west
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to east2west

I've heard from others that magazines is not a very profitable business, unless you're Sports Illustrated or National Geographic, but I have zero knowledge of the industry outside of looking into placing some ads.

BTW, welcome

http://www.azattacks.com
east2west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 06:20 AM   #10
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

I don't know how I missed this topic.

The advice offered by ssaab88 is great! I've been accomplishing this myself since the first of March. I've been able to put this together in about a month and I had no experience in print publishing. Fortunately, my best friend publishes the local yellow pages and has been instrumental in educating me on the finer points of print media.

I have blogged this in (to much) detail on my small business blog. http://www.soky.biz/2007/04/dave-20-part-3.asp Everything from colors, DPI, computers and software has been a challenge but hard work and persistence is the key... as usual.

I have found that if the idea is popular to the readers, it will be popular to potential advertisers. I've been able to sign enough advertisers to pay for the printing costs and am now working to build the client base to provide income as well a budget to hire some help. With nothing but an idea, a prototype and a willingness to knock on doors I've been able to make a go of it.

The first issue comes out in June (a month earlier than I thought) thanks to the help of my friends and family. Hard work has been the key! Willingness to seek advise and then accept it has also been helpful. Many things have changed from the original concept, but I think it is much better than I could have dreamed as a result.

I'm having fun with mine... good luck with yours!!!