Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th June 2007, 07:06 PM   #1
KDornay

Default Book Publishing

hello everyone...ive been working @ a sports radio station for the past 15yrs its been rewarding but at age 36 im looking to take my life to the next level...my passion is reading and i am intrested in book publishing...opening a book and periodical store....or starting a magazine(these are only dreams right now)...but they have been my dream for all of my adult life i feel now is my time...but i have no expertise in these fields...i need some direction...if anyone can please help

KDornay is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 27th June 2007, 01:51 PM   #2
MikeAnd

It is admirable that you are interesting in being an entrepreneur and going after your passion.

If it were me, I would start out by doing as much research and reading into the book/publishing field as you possibly can. Also, see if there are any business networking events for the book/publishing industry in your area that you would be able to attend. You may be able to meet other entrepreneurs and valuable business contacts there that will benefit your startup.

Once you've done your research, you should be able to come up with a pretty good idea of what it will take to launch your business. Then, you can decide if you can do it alone, or if you will need one or more business partners. If you decide that you need business partners to help launch your venture, try starting out by putting together a list of the skills and experience that you can bring to the new company and another list of the skills and experience that you will need for your business partners to bring to the venture.

If I can make one observation when it comes to business partners, it would be to put the effort into ensuring that you find a partner who has the knowledge, skills, and experience that you really need. Someone may be a great business person, or a great friend, but if they can't bring what you need to the table, they may not make a good business partner.

Finally, after you've determined whether you'll start the company alone, or with a partner, I would then start to put together a business plan and to decide how you envision launching the company, how much money it will take to launch it, and how much money you expect you could make.

MikeAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2007, 04:47 PM   #3
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

I also had a dream of a local area magazine and made it so over the past few months. Starting in March, I was able to produce a 36 page tabloid sized magazine in full color heatset printing, glossy cover and staple stitched. Funny thing is, when I started this, I did know the difference between heatset or coldset, process color or stitch. It was a crucible of learning to say the least.

All I did is start asking questions and writing out what I thought needed to be done. I remained open minded and invested countless hours in research and hard work. Since March 12th or so, I was able to learn the intricate details of print layout using a Macintosh computer and Adobe InDesign software. The technology difference for me is significant since I have been a PC guy since 1987.

Everything was new, everything was hard but once the first advertiser signed on the newly created rate sheet, I knew I had no choice but make this happen.

I've been a full time web guy for the last 7 years and making the jump to print proved much harder than expected. The help of a few good friends and family was the only way I could have ever gotten this done.

Talk to whoever you can, listen and learn because this print business is very intricate.

I just finished my second issue and we have improved the magazine significantly in one month. We have 31 advertiser who pay in advance and picked up 6 more in just the past few days. My point is that hard work does pay off.

Speaking of hard work, my wonderful wife and I set out to complete the second issue and it took 50 hours of non stop work to complete it. I was a little late but my printer came through. 50 hours of constant layout, graphics, editing, writing and details. Had anyone asked me if it were possible I would have said no way! At 42 years old, I didn't think I had it in me to work around the clock for 50+ hours... but en entrepreneur does what needs to be done.

We are already planning next month and will increase from 36 to 44 pages, add some new sections and integrate some cool historic articles and pictures from the local museum. It's a wonderful business that inspires creativity and even provides some "fame" and a little fortune.

My advice, enter into knowing that you will have to work harder than you ever have. I've had jobs from outside sales to chicken farming and even special duty in the military... this new enterprise has proven to be very difficult. It has also proven to be worth every single bead of sweat.

Hang in there, work hard and you too can be a print man.

Good luck!

Old 6th August 2007, 01:24 PM   #4
Onatudget

KDornay:

Another alternative to establishing yourself as a legitimate book publisher, is to use a method also known as "blind printing." In this method, you do all the aforementioned work to establish yourself as a legitimate publisher, registering ownership of the business name (Sole Proprietor, LLC, etc), obtain a EIN# (also known as a tax ID--this is NOT your social security#), and open shop (even preliminarily) with a good website. Having a website prior to any actual content release is okay, so you have time to tweak your site, start focusing on your target audience, etc. I used someone local to my area who had excellent turnaround, great customer service skills and super web skills: Onsite Computer Repair, located in Ft. Worth, Texas.

Now, if you are looking to create your own magazine, trade publication, etc., then ignore my information, but if you are looking to sign and promote authors, etc., then this option will and can work for you. Naturally everything comes with hard work and lots of research, but when you find a print press who allows you to work with them as "blind printers", then essentially they contract all your PRINT work--the actual production of the finished product YOU produce--and they take no credit nor want anything to do with being a "publisher" as their business is simply "printing." What this does for you is allows you to create content--book covers, book content, etc--and "publish" a book under your own publishing house name. Some of these print shops will also distribute for you, to bookstores, etc (or to you since you want to own a bookstore) and ship "as you" (hence the "blind").. this way there is no real "third party" involved.

You would be surprised to know how many of the "real" publishing houses actually contract alot of print work.

I hope this helps.

Onatudget is offline   Reply With Quote