Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th March 2007, 12:49 PM   #1
vshankins

Default HELP! ASP Script Problem

Hi, I've had someone check my ASP script and it is fine. But I keep getting this error message:

Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator to inform of the time the error occurred and of anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Web Server at kurtwalcott.com

My webhost company said something is wrong with the script and when they ran a test, it was fine. I would like to send it to someone and ask them to look over it.

Can anyone help? thx

ps - I'm new at this, so I really need assistance.

vshankins is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th March 2007, 03:43 PM   #2
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

ST Croix? I love that place. Went there a few times in the air force. David Bentley... the guy who runs the FBO is awesome! http://www.caribbeanflightcenter.com...ightCenter.htm

His girlfriend is a Realtor on the island too I think.

Anyway...

It's difficult to tell what your problem is from the error. It could be dozens of things. Are you able to get any ASP scripts to run? Try <%="Hello"%> in the source of one of your pages and see if it simply says Hello.

If you are trying to use ASP on the FlexMLS server... it won't work because that's apache.

Old 28th March 2007, 07:03 PM   #3
vshankins

Default It worked...now what?

Hi, I've been here for over 10 yrs and love it. I know a Maria Bentley who is a Realtor, not sure if that is the person or not. Anyway, what do I do next?

ps - I see you are also familiar with flexmls. Are you a Realtor?

Old 28th March 2007, 08:58 PM   #4
vshankins

Default Ok, here is my code

This is the code for the contactussave.asp file. HELP!

<%
Dim strMailServer, strToAddress, strFromAddress, strSubject,strBody,NewLine

NewLine = CHR(13) & CHR(10)

strBody = ""
strBody = strBody & "<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC""-//IETF//DTD HTML//EN"">" & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "<html>" & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "<body>" & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "<font size =""3"" face=""Arial"">"
strBody = strBody & "Name: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("Name") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "<br>"
strBody = strBody & "Address: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("Address") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "City: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("City") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "State: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("State") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "Zip: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("Zip") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "Country: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("Country") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "Phone: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("Phone") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "E-mail: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("E-mail") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "Comments: &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;" & Request.Form ("Comments") & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "</font>"
strBody = strBody & "</body>" & NewLine
strBody = strBody & "</html>" & NewLine

Set Mailer = Server.CreateObject("SMTPsvg.Mailer")
Mailer.FromName = "Kurt Walcott"
Mailer.FromAddress= "[email protected]"
Mailer.RemoteHost = "mail.kurtwalcott.com"
mailer.AddRecipient "Kurt Walcott", "[email protected]"
Mailer.ContentType = "text/html"
Mailer.Subject = "Property Inquiry from kurtwalcott.com"
Mailer.BodyText = strBody
if Mailer.SendMail then
strBody = ""
Set Mailer = Nothing
Response.Redirect("mainframe.html")
else
strBody = ""
Set Mailer = Nothing
end if

Set Mailer = Nothing

%>

Old 29th March 2007, 12:30 PM   #5
StupidScript
Administrator

The error you are seeing is usually caused by a server configuration issue. For example, a call to a PERL script in the cgi-bin directory would give this error when either the directory (cgi-bin) is not designated as a scriptable directory or when the file (script.pl) does not have its permissions set so the web server 'identity' can execute it.

Is the ASP file stored in a directory that allows its execution? I know that MS IIS 6.0 (your server version) allows for some security tricks that may have disabled the ActiveX process required to process ASP files in your user directory.

Please take SoKyBiz' suggestion and try something more simple. In the same directory as your contact script file, make a new .ASP file containing simply
Code:
<%="Hello"%>
and try to load that into your browser. If your browser echo's "Hello", then you can run scripts from your directory and its some other issue, perhaps with your invocation of that particular mailer process (SMTPsvg.Mailer). If you get the same error, then your hosting provider needs to look a little more deeply into your directory's configuration and execution permissions.

StupidScript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2007, 12:50 PM   #6
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

Also on IE, go to Tools - Internet Options. Under the the Advanced tab, uncheck Show Friendly HTTP error messages. This will be helpful into determining where the problem is.

Old 29th March 2007, 04:00 PM   #7
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vshankins View Post
Hi, I've been here for over 10 yrs and love it. I know a Maria Bentley who is a Realtor, not sure if that is the person or not. Anyway, what do I do next?

ps - I see you are also familiar with flexmls. Are you a Realtor?
I was a realtor a long time ago in Alabama... long before FlexMLS. I referenced it only because I could see that is where you are getting your listing info.

You may want to try a different mail component as well. Though you are not getting the typical object error, it could be related. Look into CDONTS since you are on an IIS6 machine.

I agree, change your friendly error settings so you can get more information in the error including the line number or add an error trap in your code.

like this...

Code:
<%
On Error Resume Next
 Response.Write("If there is an error, it would be here. <br />") 

If Err.number <> 0 then     
  Response.Write("error number:" & Err.number  & "<br />")
  Response.Write("error source:" & Err.source & "<br />")    
  Response.Write("error description:" & Err.description  & "<br />")  
End If 
%>
Good luck

Old 30th March 2007, 03:26 PM   #8
vshankins

Default Did all that, still not working :-(

I used the Hello code and it echoed it in the browser. I changed the Show Friend HTTP.... and it shows same bland error message.

I was told there was something wrong with the code by the web host, but they won't tell me what. Two web designers said the code was fine, but haven't had time to help me.

Can someone please contact me at [email protected] and help me directly. If you would like to get paid, we can work something out. I am running out of options, and have spent over a month waiting on someone else to help me and 2 wks trying to fix it myself. I will end up loosing customers if I don't get this fixed.

HELP!

Old 31st March 2007, 10:05 AM   #9
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

I just tested your code and it works fine. Your host is wrong, there is nothing wrong with your code. Not sure what your options are if they are unwilling to discuss the issue with you though. Perhaps it's time to consider a new host.