Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd April 2007, 01:00 AM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default Why I Love Crimson Fox's Logo

I've been meaning to comment on this because I think there is a lot to be learned from this logo and why I think it is excellent. It passes the following "tests" that I think are important...

1. The t-shirt test: Would it be easily recognizable from across a large room or conference hall if a large version was printed on a t-shirt? Yes.

If you printed Crimson Fox's logo on a t-shirt I guarantee you could recognize it even if it was too far away to read any words on the t-shirt.

Also keep in mind that if you have 10 colors in your logo, the cost of having the shirts printed will be significantly higher than a few colors.

2. The embroidery test: Is the design simple enough that it could easily be embroidered on shirts, bags, notebook cases, etc. Yes.

If a design is overly complex you'll find you loose fine details when you try to have your logo embroidered.

3. The printing test: Would the logo look good printed on pens, coffee cups, memory cards, etc? Yes

4. The business card test: Would it look good on a business card? Yes.

This also includes how it would look on letterhead, envelopes, etc.

5. The bumper sticker test: If printed on a bumper sticker would enough of the details be easily visible to the car behind it? Yes.

I've seen bumper stickers that have too much small details on the logo and I can't tell what it is.

6. The avatar test: Would the logo look good as an avatar (the picture under your name) on a forum? Yes.

7. The widgets test: Would the logo be easily recognizable as a small 45x45 pixel version in a mybloglog or bumpzee widget? Yes.

8. The favicon test: Could you shrink the logo down enough that it would still look decent as a 16x16 pixel favicon graphic? Yes.

Very few logos look great at 16x16 so it just needs to be doable. Also keep in mind that you could use an easily recognizable portion of the logo and use that for the favicon. We just use Puppy's head for example.

9. The banner test: Could you include the logo and have it still look good in a 468x60 banner while leaving enough room to include text in the ad? Yes.

10. Is it unique and memorable? Yes.

Print a copy of your logo the size it would be on a business card and show it to a friend for 3 seconds. An hour later ask what the logo was. Can they describe it?

So, before you settle on a final logo design, take the time to test how the logo looks at various sizes. Create samples in the sizes it would be used as an avatar, favicon, widget, etc. Print out samples and tape them on a business card, your bumper, pinned to a shirt, etc. Sounds crazy but you may discover some flaws and limitations in your design.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd April 2007, 08:20 AM   #2
Crimson Fox

lol, wow…thank you very much. Always great to get compliments. The great thing about everything you mentioned is that they were taken into account when I designed it.

It's funny you should mention it as I just wrote an article about this very thing on my directory website.

Last edited by Crimson Fox; 22nd April 2007 at 08:23 AM.
Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2007, 03:23 PM   #3
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

Bravo Crimson!!!

Double bravo Robert!!! You were able to use the outstanding work of a senior member and make some very IMPORTANT points. Printed, saved and will be used in the future. Thank you!!!

Old 24th April 2007, 09:36 AM   #4
Logan
Administrator

Three cheers to that!

I'm curious Crimson Fox, do you always include your name when presenting your logo since it is not within the image?

Old 24th April 2007, 01:43 PM   #5
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Let's toast to that!

Got to read your article!

Old 24th April 2007, 06:10 PM   #6
Crimson Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Three cheers to that!

I'm curious Crimson Fox, do you always include your name when presenting your logo since it is not within the image?
I use the icon much like a brand so that it is more useable in every situation. I will almost always have the Company name prominent on what ever graphic design I'm creating. But by keeping it separate, I free myself up to position the icon just about anywhere I choose.

This may not be the ideal situation for someone not in the design industry because this freedom can allow them to too many ways to ruin a design. But since I'm the one creating all my promotional material it becomes the best option for me.

If I was to design a logo for a large company, I might supply a corporate guidelines on how to use the logo and company name, how much space you should allow around the logo, where it should be positioned etc. etc. This stops novices from getting in to trouble when displaying the companies identity.

Corporate identity guidelines like this are great for large corporations where many people are using the logo in different ways on a daily basis. They keep the logo uniform through out the all branding.

BUT…from my experience, when these guidelines are written. The writer very rarely allows to all design possibilities both now and in the future. They very quickly become the death of creativity and innovation.

Corporate Guidelines can be great for the non designers but become nothing but a hurdle for professional designers because, from my point of view "I'm sorry, that's not in the corporate guidelines, you can't do that" seems to be one of the most spoken phrases in the corporate world today.

lol, anyway…that's the major reason for not including the business name on the logo. It prevents restrictions.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 09:13 PM   #7
Logan
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that, I couldn't figure out why but now it makes perfect sense