Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th January 2011, 04:17 PM   #1
MySmallBiz
VIP Contributor

Default Newspaper Or Radio

Which type is more effective to use in advertising and which people can easily remember what you are advertising?

MySmallBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 10th January 2011, 05:32 PM   #2
TilenKrivec

Its like asking whats better... Chocolate or vanilla?

They are booth awesome when used correctly and horrible when used incorrectly. They both still work very well and picking one is usually decided by your targeting, product, budget and marketing skills.

TilenKrivec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2011, 08:29 PM   #3
jsingerston

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilenKrivec View Post

They are booth awesome when used correctly and horrible when used incorrectly. They both still work very well and picking one is usually decided by your targeting, product, budget and marketing skills.
I agree completely.

Both are viable methods of advertising depending on the demographic you are targetting. Obviously you would not target high school students with newspaper advertising as most do not read the paper. Radio would work better for them most likely. If you are targeting highly educated people with college educations over 50, then newspapers would probably be an excellent choice. Still you would have to choose the right section of the paper or the right radio station.

jsingerston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2011, 03:07 PM   #4
dowson12345
VIP Contributor

You should both if it is possible because as for me they are the same and with the same effects.

Old 17th January 2011, 08:46 PM   #5
William Veasley

Send a message via Skype™ to William Veasley

Quote:
Originally Posted by TilenKrivec View Post

Hey,

I have to agree with this quote too.

Neither one is really "better" than the other. I think it depends more on how you willing to go about using either one. Both can be tremendously helpful if used in e right manner. If you like the print idea of your business than go with a newspaper.

If you would prefer people hear what your business has to offer the world than go the radio route. Just make sure you know what your getting into. Spend some time doing research on how to maximize your efforts. That way you can see the biggest benefits.

Hope that helps.

God bless,
William Veasley

Old 17th January 2011, 11:35 PM   #6
Susan Stones

A tip for newspaper advertising (which may work on radio as well I haven't tested it there). Choose the day that the paper says is the worst (Tuesday, here). Advertising is cheaper then, and the competition is less, so readers are more likely to notice your ad. So you get more value for your $$.

Susan Stones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th January 2011, 10:34 PM   #7
GoBeyondSEO

Default More Info

Hey MySmallBiz,

What are trying to advertise? The demographics of the group you are trying to reach may hold some answers for you.

These days I wouldn't go near a local daily paper unless I was marketing an Event or to an older crowd. Lots of eye doctors in the local paper these days.

Are you thinking of a niche paper or just the regular paper?

What type pf radio station are you looking at?

I worked in TV sales for awhile and my wife sold both newspaper and radio. Feel free to PM me with any questions. Its hard when you are first getting info on advertising. Just know that when you do your research and have a plan things will work out better. Don't let a salesman push you into something you are not ready for.

Nothing is a silver bullet. Dont let the reps scare you...get as much info from them as you can...there is no obligation to buy. But asking a questionj like the one above is like walking into your doctors office and say "My leg hurts, whats it going to cost to get it fixed?"

It just doesnt work that way.

Good Luck!

GoBeyondSEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2011, 04:51 AM   #8
ava_camen

probably radio is a better advertisement because not all people likes to read. but in radio, the ear involuntarily hears every sound it can hear

ava_camen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 02:33 PM   #9
390Main

Both can be very effective. When possible, you should use them together.
Success depends on targeting the right audience with a great offer.

Bob

390Main is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th April 2011, 05:12 PM   #10
MarkDRP

Newspapers are becoming a thing of the past,total waste of money.
Just like the phone book,if people are looking for something they google it.For a new product or service I would go with radio.

MarkDRP is offline   Reply With Quote