Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th April 2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Tri-Win

your advertising depends on your audience. period. Don't market to me with newspapers, I will never see the add, but if you run a radio ad at 445 every day I will probably hear it on my way home from work.

The best advice I can give here is make sure your advertising medium is the medium that your potential consumers will want to use.

Tri-Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd May 2011, 09:33 AM   #12
jvance
VIP Contributor

I find both of these mediums VERY expensive for what you get. If you are selling to other businesses, it would almost be a waste of money, but if you are selling to consumers, I guess they may have merit depending on your message.

I had a customer spend 15K on newspaper advertising (against my recommendation), and receive no sales and less than a hundred visits to his website. For his market, he could have purchased a whole year of advertising on Google Adwords or another online medium and seen better results.

jvance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 04:19 PM   #13
danielkanuck

If you're beginning out with advertising, I think you should start with newspaper advertising.

I think that you need a good voice/radio personality (not a celebrity, but someone who sounds good on air) to convey your message effectively over the air.

If you do newspaper advertising, you can generate a lead and follow up on this prospect time and time again.

Alot of people when they finally her your radio ad, won't be able to take action. This is true if they're driving in a car, making dinner, or playing with their kids.

Start off with newspaper advertising. It's cheap, and you'll see results right away.

danielkanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2011, 10:47 PM   #14
vlb2123

If you have the money, why not try both. Also, tag each advertisement with it's own toll free number & have it answered by an answering service to capture the leads & to track each ones effectiveness.

vlb2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th May 2011, 08:18 PM   #15
gaga

Send a message via MSN to gaga

really great idea!

gaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 03:09 AM   #16
iqecommerce

Choice is Radio as the RJs are also approaching for the architecture of participation model.

IQecommerce.

iqecommerce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2011, 09:46 AM   #17
georgechapman

Radio hands down. People listen passively to the radio, and if it's a good ad we're talking about, it'll definitely stick.

Old 17th May 2011, 10:29 AM   #18
Johnwalton

I think that newspaper is better then the radio for advertisement and introducing the product in market.

Johnwalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2011, 10:13 AM   #19
monkeyposter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDRP View Post
Newspapers are becoming a thing of the past,total waste of money.
Just like the phone book,if people are looking for something they google it.For a new product or service I would go with radio.
I disagree. While they are losing attention (pretty fast) they still hold a large segment of the population. It really depends on what you are advertising and what your demographic is more likely to pay attention to. Also note that some newspaper ads are also transferred to their website.

monkeyposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 01:06 AM   #20
noralee

Send a message via MSN to noralee

I prefer newspaper. readers can find the information they need whenever they want if they keep the newspaper.

noralee is offline   Reply With Quote