Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st August 2004, 06:59 PM   #1
kimmer342004

Smile Bulk Vending Machine Business

Hi All,

I was just wondering if anyone out there has done business in the bulk candy area... you know candy machines etc. If so can you fill me in on them, or any scams etc. that you are aware of?

Thanks much,
Kim

kimmer342004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st August 2004, 11:56 PM   #2
Robert
Administrator

Welcome to the forum Kim!

I have to admit that I know nothing about the vending business but I'd like to learn more about it. Specifically how one goes about getting their machines in prime spots.

Old 23rd August 2004, 02:20 PM   #3
BossBean

Kim,

I can't help you much either, but I did see an interesting thing from Tokyo the other day.

In Japan they can call a number on the front of a vending machine, select the item they want and it will be dispensed and charged to their cellphone account!

That sounds really cool. Do you know if anything like that is likely in the USA anytime soon?

BossBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 01:20 PM   #4
cosmicradiance

My husband is into vending machines part time. The only part where things got a little shady is finding a locator (someone to find locations for you). It's best to have the place you are buying the vending machines do the locating for you or better yet, to save money, if you are a socialable person , you may consider walking into some places in your area and asking yourself if they would like a machine.

cosmicradiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2005, 04:43 PM   #5
KAYLINDA
VIP Contributor

I've never done vending business..but have read several things on it.
The bad side I see right now is gas prices. You will have to get there to service them! Something to think about...place them only in well known business's. New business's are usually very happy to take them...but if the business doesn't make it in their first year...you may have a hard time getting your machines back! I've heard it's not an easy job..between the ordering...and servicing...the driving time alone takes up a big part of your day if you have a large business.

Old 8th September 2005, 10:42 AM   #6
cosmicradiance

My husband enjoys his vending machine business (as does my uncle who has 27 locations and brings home approximately $1500 / per month). There's a sense of freedom like with anyone that is working for themselves. Although at times it can be frustrating, overall he enjoys what he does. I, for one, don't know how he does it but then vending machines is not my thing. I believe you really have to have a certain personality to go into that business.

With the gas prices nowadays, I agree, it can be expensive, but once the machines are in place you don't go back to service them for about 4-6 weeks (depending upon how "hot" your location is). And, depending on how many locations you have, you service them all at once. Right now my husband has 4 locations and they are all in close proximity to where we live. So you may want to make sure the places you put your machines in are close to your home. One of them, he can walk to

Also, before you buy any machines or product get your location first. Then tell them you will bring the machines etc. to them within 2 weeks. This will give you time to order the machines and product. Of course, do your homework first on where to get the machines and candy and the prices and their delivery time, this way when its time to order all you have to do is call the company etc. This process will save you alot of money You don't want to have machines and no locations.

Good luck

cosmicradiance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2006, 02:45 PM   #7
Vending_Biz

Default Vending Machines

Kaylinda,

Before you place your vending machine in a vending location, be sure to get the owner of the location to SIGN AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT stating that you are the owner of the vending machine and that the equipment is in their location.

There are many reasons for this.

1. Should the location owner's building burn down or get vandalized then you have proof of your vending machine was on their site.

2. If the vending machine is stolen, then you have proof...

3. If the Owner sells his business, the new owner will see that the recent owner had agreed to your vending machine to be on site and if they don't want it anymore, then you simply take your vending equipment.

Good Luck!!!

Vending_Biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2007, 10:29 AM   #8
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Hello there, Kim!

It's good to have you here at the forum.

Hope you've gained enough information. Enjoy your stay here.

Old 12th November 2008, 09:17 AM   #9
lrc319

Default Acknowledgment Letter

Hello,

Do you happen to have an example of a letter of acknowledgment. That is a really good idea!

Aaron

lrc319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2008, 06:00 AM   #10
Energy jobs

Default Bulk Vending Machine Business

the world's largest catering company plans to pull out of a third of the 90 countries it operates in - including Iraq and Kuwait - and will focus on growing the business organically rather than through acquisitions.Its shares jumped 7 per cent, a gain of 19p to 290p, as the City welcomed the move to streamline the business, which employs 400,000 people across 40,000 locations.Mr Cousins, who took over from Mike Bailey in May, insisted that Compass was a "fundamentally attractive" business but "the model had got overstretched with too many acquisitions, countries and contracts".The group's troubled UK education division continues to suffer from the fallout of the celebrity chef Jamie Oliver's campaign against low quality school dinners, symbolised by the demonisation of Turkey Twizzlers, which the company used to provide.

Energy jobs is offline   Reply With Quote