Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th December 2008, 09:22 PM   #11
Allectus

Default Yes, there are scams.

Kim,

Be very careful.

Not only are there scams out there, but that segment of candy sales is a tough nut to crack.

Beleive it or not there are allot of big companies doing that as well as little "jobber" businesses out there.

Either way, it's a brutally competitive environment out there.

I know via a client of mine years ago. Gee whizz what that a tough nut to crack.

Good luck,

Old 9th December 2008, 05:50 PM   #12
samiam123

finding a locations is main key for this business . It's beter to have the place you are buying the vending machines do the locating for you . second key you must be a socialable person and walk inside the stores and asking store owner if they would like a machine.........

samiam123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2009, 09:41 PM   #13
SPS

You have to be good at securing locations to succeed in the vending business (or employ someone that can).

Teaming up with a charity is a great idea for convincing onsite managers that your machines are worthy of their time. Some charities will let you associate with them for a fixed amount per month per machine (sometimes less than $10).

Avoid paying commissions for all but the very best locations - sell your machines on the value that they add to an establishment (employee/customer convenience etc).

Set out a plan for pounding the pavements everyday, getting appointments with decision makers and selling them on the idea. Get used to hearing 'No' and use every rejection as a chance to improve your process. You will get there in the end if you are determined and enjoy the semi-passive income that this business can offer.

Locators - I wouldn't waste my time - wouldn't they just keep the best locations for themselves and pass the duds onto you?

Bulk candy is great as it has a much higher profit margin that snacks and beverages and you won't have to re-stock machines so often - but you will need a lot of machines out there to make money.

Look into buying existing routes as this can be an easier way into the business.

And lastly, watch out for scams - this industry has more than it's share.

SPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2009, 02:33 AM   #14
PepperEvans

samiam123 is right about saying you should let the company you're buying the machine from up set it up for you. Another piece of advice, don't go with the bandwagon. Don't offer what everybody already has. Analyze what people want and need these days and then offer them that through your vending. This is the good thing about vending machines, you can offer sell anything from healthy drinks, fresh fruits, canned drinks, even janitorial items.

PepperEvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2009, 08:31 AM   #15
smallbizmkter

The other advice I would give is to purchase used machines on ebay rather than from the manufacturers. The prices from manufacturers can be $300 per machine, when you can buy pretty decent used machines for $50 or $60 on ebay. If you pay $300, it will take a long time for these machines to achieve payback. Much better to dip your toe in the water with low cost machines, find out if the business is for you and then ramp it up.

Yes, locations are the key - finding them, keeping them - best if you can do this yourself rather than pay $100/location only to find it makes you $5/month in candy sales!

smallbizmkter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:11 AM   #16
Thomas.Wills

Default Vending Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vending_Biz View Post
Kaylinda,

Before you place your vending machine in a vending location, be sure to get the owner of the location to SIGN AN ACKNOWLEDGEMENT stating that you are the owner of the vending machine and that the equipment is in their location.

There are many reasons for this.

1. Should the location owner's building burn down or get vandalized then you have proof of your vending machine was on their site.

2. If the vending machine is stolen, then you have proof...

3. If the Owner sells his business, the new owner will see that the recent owner had agreed to your vending machine to be on site and if they don't want it anymore, then you simply take your vending equipment.

Good Luck!!!
You are very right, it is necessary to complete the legal process of signing the necessary documents to have a fair business relationship. An acknowledgment is indeed necessary to prevent loss from your snack machines in case something goes wrong at the location.

Last edited by Logan; 4th February 2010 at 09:31 AM.
Thomas.Wills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2010, 06:33 AM   #17
davidjoshua00

Well, I am aware of those scams, but we don't stop of that. Also, before you buy any machines or product get your location first. Then tell them you will bring the machines, etc. but have read several things on it. The bad side I see right now is gas prices.

davidjoshua00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2010, 07:08 PM   #18
mattnj98

Default Vending Horror Story

My personal experience with this vend placement company was this. I bought 50 Vendstar vending machines and was referred this company to place all the machines. I purchased a warranty contract from this company, they assured me that they would move any machines that weren't doing well after they were intially placed. The guys who came out to place my machines ended up being by Todd Parker words "blacklisted guys" who did a horrible job of placing all of my machines, now I have 25 machines that were given back to me by the intial locations that they were placed. So I call Todd Parker, to see if he can relocate the machines that are in bad locations and the machines that were given back to me by store owners. I called Todd for months, only to be ignored. So, I paid Secure Placement $1225 for a warranty that they will not honor. I just wanted to make people aware of my experience with Todd Parker and Secure Placement. Horrible

Todd Parker, Locating Manager
Secure Placement
www.secureplacementnow.com
866-841-4131

mattnj98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st January 2012, 12:59 AM   #19
moscar

I partnered with Snacks and Cold drinks vending machine company and bought two machines and training package with them.

In their training package they strongly discourage hiring and placement company to secure your vending location - the reason most are scam like mentioned in the last post. The method for securing vending machine they suggested strongly is called "Direct Mailing". You can Google for this method but basically you build a list of potential locations and then send then a mail with some sort of brochure about your vending machines with information how they can contact you back. You can also check with your area's postal service for bulk mail delivery to business in a certain location.

Hope this helps - good luck!

moscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2014, 01:38 AM   #20
Pbeebee

Hello there,
Would you know how to find these people who work as locators ? I'm looking to get into the ATM business, want to do it right . Thank you!

Pbeebee is offline   Reply With Quote