Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th October 2009, 08:28 AM   #1
Tom Young

Question Ghost Or Full System Backup Software?

I would like to set-up a a full system backup, AKA ghost, of my PC.

Please share thoughts on software such as Genie Backup Manager Pro that you may be using.

Tom

Tom Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th October 2009, 04:02 PM   #2
rebecca.volitio

Exclamation backup utilities

Tom,

Can you tell us more about your current system setup? What kind of PC are you using? What OS? Laptop or desktop? Do you have an external hard drive big enough to at least copy your entire PC's data over to it?

How often do you want this backup done - monthly, weekly, daily, hourly? Why do you want a full system backup instead of just the important data backed up? Are you anticipating a hard drive crash in the near future?

Sorry to bombard you with some many technical questions but there are so many ways to back up a PC that in order to help you evaluate them we need know what you are trying to do.

If you are like most people and want to have all of your data backed up in case something happens to your computer and you are often connected to the internet, then an online backup like Mozy will be a much better fit.

Also, Windows XP and Vista have built in backup utilities - you just need to tell it what you want to backup and where to put it. Software like Genie and Symantec Ghost can do a lot more, like make a copy of a disk without having to boot to the operating system, but for most people that's overkill.

Rebecca

rebecca.volitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2009, 02:21 PM   #3
Tom Young

Hello Rebecca,

Your concern about overkill is appreciated, but that is not the case here. I have Tilana Reserve as a live online backup for My Documents so that is covered.

When my Dell PC crashed – the blue screen of death - several weeks ago I was able to recover all of my data, however I still have not had the time to install all of the software that I use on my new HP Pavilion, thus the reason for considering a Ghost. The time that this would save in a similar situation far outweighs the cost which I consider to be minimal.

Genie Backup Manager Pro looks like it will fill the gap and at a cost of less than $70.00 can hardly be considered expensive. I have an external hard drive that will be dedicated to this.

The reason that I made the post was to find if others may have experience with Genie or similar software – good, bad or otherwise. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2009, 04:35 PM   #4
rebecca.volitio

I don't have experience with Genie but I have used Ghost extensively and have had great experiences with it. I used it many many times to create standard images of our desktops and laptops and re-image them back to a standard. It was always a rock-solid program for our IT department.

Rebecca

rebecca.volitio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th March 2012, 04:34 AM   #5
Peter Biskind

Hello Tom, I've never used Genie or Ghost. I use Praetorian Guard at work. I back up all of my computers with it and I haven’t had any problems so far. It works great for me because I can manage the backups centrally.

Peter Biskind is offline   Reply With Quote