Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th October 2008, 10:43 AM   #1
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Does Search Engine Traffic Matter?

The short answer is, "Sure." And it likely always will. But the amount of free traffic search engines now deliver to many small online businesses doesn't amount to much. And what there is of it continues to decline in importance. Pay-for-submission models are rapidly eliminating free options.

These trends will continue. And many have been aware of this for years. My own site provides a good example of the results.

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th October 2008, 02:52 AM   #2
bonciutoma

Send a message via Yahoo to bonciutoma Send a message via Skype™ to bonciutoma

that is interesting informations.

For me at least it's obvious that it's almost impossible to rank well for top searches in the SEO industry. There are simply too many websites that are much older then yours and offer those services.

I think that what anybody should do is build content. I think that at the beginning you should build content and not think at SEO as you might do later on. The thing that you should do is think of what the client wants, what are his questions, what are his problems. And many times you'll see that you'll not use for searches the keywords that everybody talks about: like seo services, web optimizations... Many times the client doesn't even know that this is the name of the game : SEO . I had clients coming to me and said : I want to be number one in Google. He didn't knew what SEO was : he had a problem that he wanted solved somehow.

I think that talking to a few of your customers or potential customers can help you understand how people from outside your business search for you.

bonciutoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 07:05 PM   #3
Dale King
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonciutoma View Post
I think that what anybody should do is build content.
Not just content.

Quality, relevant content - and lots of it!

Dale King

Dale King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2008, 08:58 PM   #4
The Infotainer

As has been said, knowing what search terms your ideal customer will use is essential. And it's no good guessing ... chances are, you'll be wrong.

I think the model is to identify a potential niche and then research that. Go where they have conversations and join in. Listen, watch and learn. See what language they use and about what pains. Then further research all that, and you'll probably find a 'long tail' niche that's worth creating something for.

John Gordon

The Infotainer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2008, 11:46 AM   #5
bdorland

Somebody needs to tell Bob, the article's author, about Google Analytics...What keywords are bringing traffic? Problem solved.

bdorland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2008, 02:53 AM   #6
khaty

Also Google Adwords.. What keywords to use? You can view the volume of that keywords.

khaty is offline   Reply With Quote