Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 3rd October 2010, 09:53 AM   #1
MRchamps
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 65
Question Doubt About Google Adword Keyword Research Tool ?

Hi All !

I am having big doubt about keyword research by using google adword keyword research tool !

Please give me your valuable suggestion !

When we search any keyword in Google Adword keyword research tool, it shows result for competition, global search volume, local search volume and other....

My doubt is - competition column represent the Advertisers competition OR
Natural Search (organic competition) !

If it shows Advertisers competition, then why we use that result for natural search !

Also suggest me good keyword research tool !

Thanks.

__________________
Banquet Hall
MRchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 3rd October 2010, 11:42 AM   #2
Logan
Administrator
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,046
Default

You understand correctly, and you wouldn't although the amount people bid for ppc can correlate with serp competition. For competition related to organic you want to go by an exact quote search to determine how many pages in the index have that phrase. Wordtracker will do this for you, or you can do it doing a search for you. I also look at exact quotes in title and allinanchor

To gauge popularity of a keyword, I run an adwords campaign to directly test based on impressions

To research competition, I do advance searches using google and quotes for the exact keyword phrase. I'll use wordtracker also for this and their KEI index when going through a lot of different keywords.

__________________
Search Engine Guide - Small Business Guide to Search Marketing
Small Business Brief - Small Business Ideas Forum, Articles & News
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 12:44 PM   #3
MRchamps
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
You understand correctly, and you wouldn't although the amount people bid for ppc can correlate with serp competition. For competition related to organic you want to go by an exact quote search to determine how many pages in the index have that phrase. Wordtracker will do this for you, or you can do it doing a search for you. I also look at exact quotes in title and allinanchor

To gauge popularity of a keyword, I run an adwords campaign to directly test based on impressions

To research competition, I do advance searches using google and quotes for the exact keyword phrase. I'll use wordtracker also for this and their KEI index when going through a lot of different keywords.
Hi thanks for reply !
So as you said you refer google adwords local & global search volume for keywords monthly searches and use advance searches using google and quotes for the exact keyword phrase for competition, use word tracker also for it.

How you do advance searches using google and quotes for the exact keyword phrase for competition and how you use word tracker for that also !

Please elaborate your answer with one example!

Thanks.

__________________
Banquet Hall
MRchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator
 

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 8,046
Default

Let's say I wanted to target the keyword [search engine optimization]

I would do a search in google for ["search engine optimization"]

It's as simple as putting quotes at the beginning and end of your search query

Then you look at how many results google says it has. In my case google says 26,300,000 results. That means that is the number of pages in google that have that exact keyword phrase. We consider that the competition in regards to organic optimization ... how many other pages have that exact keyword as the thought pattern is that you can outrank anyone without the keyword on their page. Taking it a step farther. You can search of those pages with that keyword exactly in the title of pages by adding [allintitle:] to your search query

[allintitle:"search engine optimization"]

of those 26,300,000 results 926,000 have that exact keyword in the title tag.

The lower the # of results, the fewer number of pages in google with that keyword phrase and the more likely you will rank better.

Do a search for [allintitle:"search engine optimization companies"] now the number of results is down to 2170. The longer the keyword phrase, the less competition, and the more qualified the visitor will be.

Wordtracker has a free 7 day trial, you have to subscribe. But basically, it does all the above calculations for you and puts it into a ratio they call KEI.

__________________
Search Engine Guide - Small Business Guide to Search Marketing
Small Business Brief - Small Business Ideas Forum, Articles & News
Logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2010, 01:12 PM   #5
MRchamps
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logan View Post
Let's say I wanted to target the keyword [search engine optimization]

I would do a search in google for ["search engine optimization"]

It's as simple as putting quotes at the beginning and end of your search query

Then you look at how many results google says it has. In my case google says 26,300,000 results. That means that is the number of pages in google that have that exact keyword phrase. We consider that the competition in regards to organic optimization ... how many other pages have that exact keyword as the thought pattern is that you can outrank anyone without the keyword on their page. Taking it a step farther. You can search of those pages with that keyword exactly in the title of pages by adding [allintitle:] to your search query

[allintitle:"search engine optimization"]

of those 26,300,000 results 926,000 have that exact keyword in the title tag.

The lower the # of results, the fewer number of pages in google with that keyword phrase and the more likely you will rank better.

Do a search for [allintitle:"search engine optimization companies"] now the number of results is down to 2170. The longer the keyword phrase, the less competition, and the more qualified the visitor will be.

Wordtracker has a free 7 day trial, you have to subscribe. But basically, it does all the above calculations for you and puts it into a ratio they call KEI.
Hey Thanks for your reply, it will help me lot !
Thanks a lot!

__________________
Banquet Hall
MRchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 04:48 AM   #6
Tiggerito
Member
 
Tiggerito's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 52

Default

I believe some people consider high competition in the AdWords Keyword Tool as a good thing.

If advertisers are spending money on it then it probably is a good generator of revenue, so worth targeting.

__________________
By Tony McCreath (Tiggerito)
Web Site Advantage
Tiggerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:39 PM   #7
Social-Media
Senior Member
 

Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRchamps View Post
Hi All !

I am having big doubt about keyword research by using google adword keyword research tool !

Please give me your valuable suggestion !

When we search any keyword in Google Adword keyword research tool, it shows result for competition, global search volume, local search volume and other....

My doubt is - competition column represent the Advertisers competition OR
Natural Search (organic competition) !

If it shows Advertisers competition, then why we use that result for natural search !

Also suggest me good keyword research tool !

Thanks.
It is advertiser competition. And you should NOT use it for organic competition.

Use the tool for keyword research. Then if you want to know organic competition go to Google and do searches for:

intitle:"my keyword phrase" (shows # sites with exact phrase in title)
inurl:"my keyword phrase" (shows # sites with exact phrase in URL)
intitle:"my keyword phrase" inurl:"my keyword phrase" (shows #sites with exact phrase in both title and URL)

allintitle:my keyword phrase (shows # sites with all keywords in phrase somewhere in title, not necessarily same order)
allinurl:my keyword phrase (shows # sites with all keywords in phrase somewhere in URL, not necesarily same order)
allinanchor:my keyword phrase (shows # sites with back links that contain all keywords in search phrase somwhere in the anchor text, not necessarily in order)

These will give you a MUCH better picture of the organic competition. Just because you search for my keyword phrase or "my keyword phrase" and get back millions of results does NOT mean it's competitive. The majority of those sites many only contain some of the keywords form the search phrase or may have simply mentioned the exact phrase in passing. They are likely not trying to rank for that phrase.

But sites that have that EXACT phrase in the title, in the URL, in the title and URL... or all of those keywords from the search phrase somewhere in the title, URL, or link text... are likely TRYING to rank for that phrase. These are your "real" competitors.

__________________
Personal Injury Lawyer - Marc Philippon
Social-Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 12:59 PM   #8
MRchamps
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Social-Media View Post
It is advertiser competition. And you should NOT use it for organic competition.

Use the tool for keyword research. Then if you want to know organic competition go to Google and do searches for:

intitle:"my keyword phrase" (shows # sites with exact phrase in title)
inurl:"my keyword phrase" (shows # sites with exact phrase in URL)
intitle:"my keyword phrase" inurl:"my keyword phrase" (shows #sites with exact phrase in both title and URL)

allintitle:my keyword phrase (shows # sites with all keywords in phrase somewhere in title, not necessarily same order)
allinurl:my keyword phrase (shows # sites with all keywords in phrase somewhere in URL, not necesarily same order)
allinanchor:my keyword phrase (shows # sites with back links that contain all keywords in search phrase somwhere in the anchor text, not necessarily in order)

These will give you a MUCH better picture of the organic competition. Just because you search for my keyword phrase or "my keyword phrase" and get back millions of results does NOT mean it's competitive. The majority of those sites many only contain some of the keywords form the search phrase or may have simply mentioned the exact phrase in passing. They are likely not trying to rank for that phrase.

But sites that have that EXACT phrase in the title, in the URL, in the title and URL... or all of those keywords from the search phrase somewhere in the title, URL, or link text... are likely TRYING to rank for that phrase. These are your "real" competitors.
Hey Thanks for reply!
I like you answer, but don't you think its very time consuming process, if i want to select 25 keyword out of 100, then i have to do all stuff manually!
Do you know any tool which will help me for fast keyword selection
Thanks.

__________________
Banquet Hall
MRchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th October 2010, 01:02 PM   #9
MRchamps
Member
 

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 65
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggerito View Post
I believe some people consider high competition in the AdWords Keyword Tool as a good thing.

If advertisers are spending money on it then it probably is a good generator of revenue, so worth targeting.
Hi !
I am totally agree with you !
You also follow this strategy, R you tried it before?

__________________
Banquet Hall
MRchamps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2010, 08:48 AM   #10
Tiggerito
Member
 
Tiggerito's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 52

Default

I include adwords competition data in some of my formulas to help me sort keywords.

There is so much leeway in the accuracy of the data provided that everything has to be taken with a pinch of salt. So I just use it as part of my tool set to help me get the feeling for the best phrases to target.

__________________
By Tony McCreath (Tiggerito)
Web Site Advantage
Tiggerito is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply   

Bookmarks


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Keyword Research -- Why Should You Use Quotation Marks For Keywords? Sahan Asad Search Engine Optimization 22 21st January 2016 01:13 PM
How To Build-Valuable Long Tail Keywords Jaime M. Search Engine Optimization 6 21st May 2010 07:08 PM
Keyword And Market Research AskRex Search Engine Optimization 5 23rd October 2008 02:21 PM
Google Trends: New Keyword Research Logan General Search Engine Marketing Information 10 14th May 2006 12:58 PM



Thread Tools

Get Updates
RSS Feeds:
RSS Feed for Search Engine Optimization RSS for this Category Only: Search Engine Optimization

RSS Feed for Small Business Ideas Forum RSS for Entire Forum
Forum Rules


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Small Business Ideas Forum


 
At Your Business - Small Business Directory
Free Business Forms - Prewritten Documents
 
Search Engine Guide
Small business guide to search marketing

 
Small Business Brief
Fetching the Best Small Business Info


Free Links - Free Advertising
Free Guide - Online Directory



Advertise your business here
Contact us for more details!


Semantic Juice
Register now to access free Quick SEO service!


Rocket Lawyer
Sign up for free 7 day trial. Boost your biz!


Buy UPC Codes
Get your products listed online!




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004 - 2018 - Privacy