Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Website Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th March 2013, 07:58 AM   #1
nancy30

Wink Do Small Companies Need Mobile Websites

Do small businesses need a mobile website or an mobile app to fight with the big ones or should they stick with the basics and keep going the normal way of doing their task.
Though mobile apps and website can increase their traffic and more audience will get to know them enhancing their business but if the basic marketing fails there is no use of having a mobile site/app.

nancy30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 19th March 2013, 03:43 PM   #2
Eric S

I yes they should as we are doing searches on our phones.

Eric S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th March 2013, 04:44 PM   #3
[email protected]

I think if your website works on a phone (many wordpress themes do) then you shouldn't need a mobile specific version of your website.

I wouldn't worry too much about having an app for the sake of it. If you use HTML5 you can achieve functionality equivalent to many mobile apps and the advantage is you don’t need a mobile platform specific version (i.e. apple, android, blackberry).

Just test that your site and any data forms you use display ok on your mobile.

neil@camis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th March 2013, 05:28 AM   #4
stanleywym

It's good to have a mobile-friendly website. But it's not necessary to create a mobile website from scratch. Like what [email protected] said, many wordpress themes have "responsive" design, which means the layout will change according to browser's resolution and make browsing easier. You need to maintain only 1 website instead of having to maintain the normal website and a separate mobile website.

stanleywym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 02:53 AM   #5
sb1 design

Send a message via Skype™ to sb1 design

As has been said, there is no reason for a stand alone mobile website. Opting for a 'responsive design' that will look good across multiple platforms is a more important concern. People are definitely using their mobiles to search the web more these days.

Developing and distributing an App can be a good marketing tool, however it needs to serve a purpose. If it is relevant to your business and can serve your customer/audience in a positive way, great. If it's just a gimmick to keep up with latest trends, then it is a waste of time and money.

sb1 design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2013, 11:29 AM   #6
broudie

Given that more and more people are searching on the web on their mobile devices, I'd suggest you spend the time to create a mobile site. How much time and $$ do you think it would cost vs the sales it could potentially bring in?

Every little bit counts, said the boy as he peed into the ocean

I spend $20/month for this service Dudamoble just to get a mobile version of my store. If I get a $100 order once a month from it, its already paid for itself.

Old 3rd May 2013, 02:40 PM   #7
noahwilson
Banned

Yes, mobile website is best and easy way to increase traffic on your website, today generally people using mobile for searching and get information for product and other thing.

noahwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2013, 10:35 PM   #8
samirbalwani

Send a message via AIM to samirbalwani Send a message via Skype™ to samirbalwani

I definitely think having a mobile website is super important. That said, I think there are priorities. Make sure it works and you have all the basic information in place before you start to focus on "nice to haves" like a mobile website.

Old 1st July 2013, 02:32 PM   #9
Livingthedream

Send a message via Skype™ to Livingthedream

Default Mobile website

I absolutely think small businesses need mobile websites and if you've read the google studies they have done over the past two years you would understand why.
Roughly 81% of all searches that happen on mobile phones are driven by speed and convenience. We want all the information we need as quickly and as easily as possible. Unfortunately with viewing traditional websites on mobile phones, they can take forever to load, rarely have contact information on the first page and user ends up leaving the page to your competitor who DOES have a mobile website. Just think about how you search for things on your phone. If you don't find what you are looking for in 30 seconds to 1 minute, you leave that page.

Just over 70% of people who people who search from their phones take action within 24 hours, most of the action happens between 1-5 hours after search.

Right now only about 5% of small - medium size businesses have a mobile website. Almost 96% of large businesses have mobile websites. See the difference there. Those with a mobile website are experiencing higher return customer levels, higher brand awareness and increased traffic to their websites. Let's put it this way. If you live in a town where there are 20 different locksmiths and only one of them has an easy to use mobile website with a click to call button, who do you think is getting called more often?

Having a bad mobile website is just like not having one at all. If you are going to go mobile. Spend the money and have it done right. Having a non functional mobile website is about as pointless as running placing an ad on an ice cream wrapper.

Mobile websites are not a thing that should be overlooked anymore. If you don't have one already, you are falling behind.

I hope this has all be helpful, if you want to read the studies I was referencing they can be found here;http://www.nngroup.com/articles/mobi...-vs-full-site/
http://www.google.com/think/research...at-matter.html

Livingthedream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2013, 11:07 PM   #10
panthervision23
VIP Contributor

Judging the increasing number of people in this world owning mobile phones, it looks very advantageous to an SME owner to reach out to these people.

Not required but it can give you a bigger edge over your competitors.

panthervision23 is offline   Reply With Quote