Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd February 2007, 04:38 PM   #1
thejenn

Send a message via AIM to thejenn

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Default New Article - Is Effective SEO Always Good SEO?

Authored by: Jennifer Laycock

Full Text: http://www.searchengineguide.com/laycock/009489.html

A Snippet:

One of the nice things about the search world over the last few years was that we were starting to see less focus on "get rankings quick" style methods and more focus on what some have dubbed "holistic" search marketing. The idea was to stop focusing on finding the holes in the algorithm that would help push your site to the top of the rankings quickly and to focus on building sites that will rank well in the long term and that will attract qualified visitors that will convert to buyers.

Old 23rd February 2007, 05:24 PM   #2
JWDesignCenter

Send a message via MSN to JWDesignCenter

So true so true... I think so many people get caught up in trying to get their site out there that they forget to target their actual clientele. I'm hoping that trend is winding down... but i think it goes along with the get rich quick mentality. The people willing to put in the time and effort to produce quality links and quality content will ultimately win this race.

Old 26th February 2007, 01:13 PM   #3
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Jen I agree with your point, but you may have missed something in the SEOmoz article. The person who posted it mentioned that this was simply an experiment. There really wasn't mean to be any connection between the linkbait and the client site.

The idea for the linbait just came to him and he realized it had no connection to the actual site. Everything was simply meant to show what can happen through social media. And I belive there are some follow up posts coming to see what the longer term effects might be.

I do agree with you though, that the point of seo is not all about quick ranking. And I do think the move toward holistic search marketing is a much better approach to marketing a site.

Old 26th February 2007, 03:07 PM   #4
QwkSand
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWDesignCenter View Post
So true so true... I think so many people get caught up in trying to get their site out there that they forget to target their actual clientele.
True. But sometimes we think that even if we go advertise on places where our market doesn't usually go, there is still that opportunity of more exposure, due to word of mouth and referrals.

My Agent of Value: Outsource Link Building
QwkSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 03:43 AM   #5
LBBMike

excellent article! i agree: creating good content is the way to go.

LBBMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2007, 02:44 PM   #6
thejenn

See, now I read the article in a different way.

I read it as yes, it was an experiment, but it was an experiment to see if he could build link bait and increase rankings for the client site. In fact, he sites the fact that the client site had increased rankings as part of his "proof" that it worked.

My point was that yes, it worked, but that doesn't make it a good SEO strategy.

Call me crazy...but I'd also not be real happy as a client if I had server issues and bandwidth overloads because of traffic to an article hosted on my server that had absolutely nothing to do with selling my product.

Old 9th March 2007, 12:08 PM   #7
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Maybe I read it wrong, but my understanding was while working on linkbait ideas for a client the author of the article came up with an idea that he thought would work well on Digg, but wasn't appropriate for the client's site.

So he created the linkbait content and put it on his company domain as a completely separate page that wasn't linked at all to any other page on the site. Just put up the linkbait page as an orphaned page on his company's domain.

Then he tracked what happened to that one page and presented the results.

Old 9th March 2007, 03:04 PM   #8
thejenn

Quote:
So he created the linkbait content and put it on his company domain as a completely separate page that wasn't linked at all to any other page on the site. Just put up the linkbait page as an orphaned page on his company's domain.
That's one area that I know I didn't misread. He put the link bait on his CLIENT'S site and then justified it by saying that the CLIENT'S rankings improved after all those links came in, even though the client's site wasn't tied to this solo page on his domain.

That's primarily what bothered me.

Experiment all you want on your own domain...but the article clearly stated that this guy put the article on the client's domain thus giving them all of the server headaches without any direct benefit apart from an increase in rankings that will go away as soon as the search engines figure out how to adjust for this type of stuf in their algorithms.

Old 15th March 2007, 11:35 AM   #9
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Jenn my apologies. I reread it again myself and I can see from the Alexa graph that the linkbait was indeed done on the client's site. My bad.

I agree with you that the article should have been on their own site and not the client's site. I had been under the impression that they did put the linkbait on their own site, but now I see that wasn't the case.