Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th July 2007, 05:00 AM   #1
christian1

Send a message via MSN to christian1
Default SEO Resaerch

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone has done or know's how to research for the Indian market.

To date I don't think there are any tools I can use.

I have a client that is looking to get Indian customers in a finance related field using a blog.

I am yet to find out whether the blog will be in english in Indian.

I know all the normal things to do such as targeting the right search engies, gettting links, articles, branding the market... the main problem though is the keyword research.

Any suggestion would be really helpful.

Thanks, Chris.

christian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 16th July 2007, 08:10 AM   #2
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Sorry, can't help you specifically, but if you stick around you might learn quite a bit that can be applied to your situation.

Old 16th July 2007, 02:30 PM   #3
Debra

If you can find established blogs and websites in this niche, you can study them for keyword clues, backlink for anchors being used and just get an all around idea of what they're doing.

I'd also look for an association with members in this demographic or look for their eqivalent of the Small Business Administration. These types of organizations have been created to provide the type of info you're looking for.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:37 PM   #4
solid28
VIP Contributor

Cool Official Language, National Language

Quote:
Originally Posted by christian1 View Post
I am yet to find out whether the blog will be in english in Indian.
If you guys recall from my 1st post, I am intensely interested in languages. And since I also love Indian food so much, I have strongly considered learning "Indian".

So I went about asking people, mainly from India, about the Indian language. To my surprise, I found that there isn't one national language. But the closest approximation to "the national language" is English (oh colonialism).

Click here to learn more about the Indian national/official language(s).

Look on the right side of the page, I count 22 official languages!

Of course research it more, learn about the language demographics of your potential clientèle...

But dude...blog in English

Peace,
Evan Jerkunica

ps. Taiwan has a similar situation...Their official/national language is Mandarin Chinese (yes the North Eastern Chinese Dialect), as opposed to the "obvious" official/national language of Taiwan, Taiwanese...I'll write about this soon in my blog.

Last edited by solid28; 16th July 2007 at 07:47 PM.
solid28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th July 2007, 07:43 PM   #5
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
If you can find established blogs and websites in this niche, you can study them for keyword clues, backlink for anchors being used and just get an all around idea of what they're doing.
As for the language, do some research. For sure, there will be someone who'll help you in this thread.

Anyway, welcome!

Old 17th July 2007, 07:34 PM   #6
Logan
Administrator

My approach would be to run pay per click campaigns with keywords that you think might be relevant. By running campaigns and monitoring the number of impressions (ads shown = search) you can gauge the relative popularity of words versus each other. I would also consider doing keyword research in other languages and then translating to the appropriate language - then run the ppc campaign to verify. If you don't get any impressions - then reconsider that other might not be searching with the language/keywords you are interested in. I would also compare to other languages, to determine if other markets might be more viable.

Old 17th July 2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Debra

Quote:
Look on the right side of the page, I count 22 official languages!
You know Chris, it might be a good idea to translate the blog into the official 22 languages and then publicize the heck out of it. I bet there isn't another one out there that has - so you may get a ton of publicity out of it.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 01:21 AM   #8
solid28
VIP Contributor

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra View Post
You know Chris, it might be a good idea to translate the blog into the official 22 languages and then publicize the heck out of it. I bet there isn't another one out there that has - so you may get a ton of publicity out of it.
Thats an interesting thought; the complications might be worth it!

My gut tells me that could get 95% of your market with just two languages. But upon reading up, you'll know far more than us!

Let us know how it goes.
Evan

Old 18th July 2007, 09:29 AM   #9
ash_work

Default Hi

Chris, you will be surprised at the number of responses you would get through these forums. Indians are well versed in English and all the fortune 500 companies and many more have already entered the Indian market and are cutting down costs for services. English is a widely spoken language in India.
I am from India too!

ash_work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2007, 10:52 AM   #10
christian1

Send a message via MSN to christian1

Thanks for the info guys, it's been great... now here's the skinny which is a little funny actually.

After further talks with the clients and a friend in Bagledesh and one in India, I have decided to not do the SEO work but will probably set up the blog. lol

I think the client's budget was a little on the small size.

So I said I would set up the blog and also sugested he look at a indian SEO firm that...

1. Could source better information due to the languge barrier and there geo position (of course)

2. Would maybe be better suited to his price range.

He was going to do the blog in english but may now do it in Indian also although there are quite a few dialects... something I would have done form word go. When in Rome as the saying goes.

Anyways learn't a few things along the way. Great tip from Debra re the reverse link look up... then find some hubs and presto your target market is beginning to form.

From a little further resaerch, it looks like many biz people in India are fluent in English anyways which makes sense considering the boom in work/economical growth rates.

China is another good market to conquer although their SE algo's still run heavily on any inbound link no matter the theme.

Have a chinese domain I was thinking about setting which converts english content... give them western content in there own languge. Just don't have the time at the moment.

Thanks guys... all been great.

Cheers, Chris.

christian1 is offline   Reply With Quote