Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th July 2007, 07:37 AM   #1
lenzcrafter

Unhappy SEO? I Just Dont Undestand.... Help!

Hey everyone

I am a driving instructor, i have a website and i employ two other instructors....Now i want to expand, and i want to do it via my website. I have been reading a lot about Inbound/Outbound links etc and therefore i decided to sign up to a lot of directories? am i doing right?

Now i also want to get my website up through the ranks so that i am getting more hits and therefore potentially more work and therefore exapand!!!
I am not gready all i would like to see is maybe 50-60 hits a day (thats not too much to ask for is it?)

Now i have google adwords but as this cost lots of money if you want to do it properly....HELP!!!

All solutions/advice would be great as i will try anything to impove my current situation.

Regards

Matt
aandmschoolofmotoring.com - for all your driving needs in Bristol.

Old 8th July 2007, 07:06 PM   #2
laurie1009

Hi Matt,

SEO can seem very confusing. I have written a few articles on it. If you'd like to read them, go to [url removed]

At the end of one of the articles, there is a link to a great free course on seo and marketing.

Much success to you.

laurie1009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 08:22 PM   #3
Robert
Administrator

Hi Matt,

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenzcrafter View Post
I have been reading a lot about Inbound/Outbound links etc and therefore i decided to sign up to a lot of directories? am i doing right?
Submitting to directories is fine.

Quote:
all i would like to see is maybe 50-60 hits a day (thats not too much to ask for is it?)
Nope, not too much to ask.

Quote:
All solutions/advice would be great as i will try anything to impove my current situation.
Start reading as many forum posts as you can. There is a ton of information available and it's a great way to learn the basics. Be sure and post any questions you may have along the way.

Old 8th July 2007, 11:42 PM   #4
rollings

Hi

Submission to Directories could help but it really takes time. There are free directories that you can submit to but it is really time consuming to get decent traffic.
You can exchange links with other website related to yours.
Write an article of your website and post to article submission directories.
Add your url to search engine
Bookmarkings, Press release, Signature links.
The Best I think is you should spend some cash to put your links on some good PR sites, maybe higher than yours.
And then Traffic will start to flow.
So you have to spend some money at first...

John

rollings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 03:45 AM   #5
lenzcrafter

Question Help!

Hey Rollings
Thanks for your help, just a bit confused on one or two points -

"Write an article of your website and post to article submission directories."
"Add your url to search engine"
"Bookmarkings, Press release, Signature links."

Ok i understand that you can write articles but i didnt know there were directories for these things!!!

How do i add my url to a search engine? am i being sutupid? Does it cost money?

Bookmarkings? Eh? Thought that you could only bookmark your favourtie websites??? again am i being stupid?

What is a press release? and what is a signature link?

Any help resolving these "things" would be great.

Regards
Matt
aandmschoolofmotoring.com - for all your driving needs in Bristol

Old 9th July 2007, 08:42 AM   #6
Crimson Fox

Just remember that hits and unique visits are two completely different things.

Hits refer to files that have been downloaded. Unique visits refer to unique ips (individual internet connections) viewing your site each day.

For instance – a site with 50 pictures may get 50 hits. while a site with 2 pictures may only get two hits. I'm over simplifying, but my point is that it's the visits is what you want to first keep your eye on rather than the hits.

Crimson Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 11:05 AM   #7
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Quote:
Ok i understand that you can write articles but i didnt know there were directories for these things!!!
There are directories for just about everything lenzcrafter, let's take a look at what a website could add their URL to if they had all these elements: ( note, I'm just offering one reference point per item, there are many many more)

For Blogs and RSS feeds - http://www.toprankblog.com/rss-blog-directories/

A list of general directories - http://www.strongestlinks.com/directories.php

A list of article directories - http://www.arcanaweb.com/resources/a...rectories.html

Submit your podcasts to: http://www.podcast.net/

Quote:
How do i add my url to a search engine? am i being sutupid? Does it cost money?
As long as you have a link from another website that's already in the search index, you'll be spidered. Do you need to submit? Not really but if it gives you peace of mind - then do it. And no, the big three are free.

Google http://www.google.com/addurl/
Yahoo http://search.yahoo.com/info/submit.html
MSN http://search.msn.com.sg/docs/submit.aspx

Quote:
Bookmarkings? Eh? Thought that you could only bookmark your favourtie websites??? again am i being stupid?
There's two ways to look at this - you can bookmark sites you like on your computer at home (which means no one sees them but you) or you can share your bookmarks with others on sites such as:

http://del.icio.us/
http://ma.gnolia.com/
http://www.furl.net/
http://www.stumbleupon.com/

You attract links by sharing what you like and being active in collecting information. If I had to prioritze my time and pick one to start with I'd go with Stumbleupon initially.

[quote]What is a press release?QUOTE]

A press release online is the same as one off. Write them when you have credible and newsworthy info to share with the media and the public. Use a submission service to get them into the news engines and hands of journalists and bloggers that will talk about your company and link to it.

There are a number of services that will, for a fee, send out your release. Look for sites like these - http://www.ereleases.com/

Quote:
and what is a signature link?
The hyperlinks found under someone's name in a forum is a signature link. Look for forums in your industry, join them and get involved in sharing what you know. At the end of your post you can leave your name and a link to your company, that's a sig link.

Last edited by Debra; 9th July 2007 at 11:07 AM.
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 09:49 AM   #8
ash_work

Web site promotion starts with a search engine spider indexing or cataloging your site by following the links from one page to another. Just as human visitors dislike a broken link, so do the spiders. If a link doesn’t work they’ll simply move onto the next page. No matter how sophisticated the search engine software is, it can’t index what it can’t find.

ash_work is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2007, 12:25 PM   #9
solid28
VIP Contributor

Cool Keyphrase PRIMER!

My friend.
Welcome to your first crash course!

The title is:
Get visitors who are interested! They are cheaper and give more profit!

You mostly want people on your site who are interested in your service. Since there is a geographic limitation to your service (say up to 45min away), you only want people within that 50 mile radius.

Therefore, you only want to rank high for terms such as:
"driving lessons in Bristol"
"find driving lessons in Bristol"
"get driving instruction in Bristol"
"Hartford driving lessons"
etc...

Quote:
Now i have google adwords but as this cost lots of money if you want to do it properly....HELP!!!
Here is what many people consider a "proper" campaign. But there are some problems with this approach.

Here are some PPC terms:

driving lessons in bristol $0.86 4 - 6
driving instruction $1.71 1 - 3

Relatively generic terms are often expensive. Moreover, someone who searches for "driving instruction" is probably not looking for a service in Bristol. In plain english, "you will be paying alot to get people to come to your site who are not interested in your service."

Here are Keyword phrases that are probably relevant to your business
find driving lessons in bristol $0.05 1 - 3
get driving instruction in bristol $0.05 1 - 3
hartford driving lessons $0.05 1 - 3
driving school hartford ct $0.05 1 - 3
driving schools in hartford $0.05 1 - 3
driving school in hartford $0.05 1 - 3

So you can pay 5 cents for each visitor to your website who is probably interested in your service. If you spend 5 dollars on adwords to get a hundred visitors, and one buys your service, you have probably made a sweet profit by using ad words properly.

best of luck,
Evan

Old 18th July 2007, 03:43 PM   #10
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

How about our own Jenn's Small Business Guide to Search Engine Marketing?

--Torka