Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Link Development
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st October 2007, 07:04 AM   #1
juan

Default No-follow Links And Google

Google measures webs popularity depending on the number of inbound links. This is quite understandable for everyone. The more links you have the more interesting you content will and the more willing will be the other web sites to drive visitors towards your site.

However there is an intrinsic contradiction when we talk about no follow links.

Other sites may consider you site interesting and they will will want to redirect visitors to your site. However, they can use no follow links and avoid getting penalized by google, while you don't get any profit according to google´s requirements.

The bottom line is, you may be very popular, but with only no-follow links, in google´s eyes your popularity will be rock-botton.

How can you get around the no follow links issue?

juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 1st October 2007, 08:46 AM   #2
PressureProsInc
VIP Contributor

In this case it is obvious that the webmaster places value on outgoing links. You could make an appeal to a site owner but if the no-follow tags are there you may be beating a dead horse. Think of a way you can benefit the site owner and perhaps come to a mutually beneficial agreement. I have gotten around this a couple of times by swapping links to one-off pages. Look for other pages on his or her site that are ranked and provide the webmaster link code to put on one of the "off" pages. You then list them on one of your secondary pages. This method won't "penalize" either of you as a straight up crosslink exchange. I'm in the process of doing this with other pages on my site to strengthen my internal link structure.

Last edited by PressureProsInc; 1st October 2007 at 08:49 AM.
PressureProsInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd October 2007, 01:51 AM   #3
juan

This no-follow issue mainly comes up when commenting on other blogs.

My comments are always welcome because I am an expert in my field, but I am only allowed to leave no-follow links.

Any solution for this?

Old 3rd October 2007, 10:53 AM   #4
Debra

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Building your reputation online isn't the responsibility of other's, it's yours. And anyone with a good reputation shouldn't be depending on blog comments to boost their link popularity, there are plenty of other ways to do that.

You can't change other people's behavior but you can influence their opinions. Start promoting yourself by giving interviews, writing articles, beefing up your websites content, get involved in a social community - etc.

Anything to make you more visible because then, the links will come to you.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th October 2007, 11:06 PM   #5
Shoestring

The no-follow attribute was created to prevent people commenting on blogs and forums from seeding links to their own sites. It is not intended to be used by the blog owner. Most of the time blog owners won't use the no-follow attribute (after all, they can chose who to link to and endorse). You will do well on search engines if you promote yourself from different angles (writing articles, making good use of social bookmarking, maintaining an interesting blog on your industry's trends, etc.). The links will come, and if you promote right, you may not even depend on the search engines for traffic.

Shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 12:30 AM   #6
Debra

Quote:
The no-follow attribute was created to prevent people commenting on blogs and forums from seeding links to their own sites. It is not intended to be used by the blog owner.
This is a bit of a contradiction as the only one that can implement the no follow on a blog or forum is the owner.

Debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th October 2007, 09:05 AM   #7
St0n3y

If your site is has value to the linking party then there is no reason they would nofollow the link. There is no penalty in linking out unless you link to a crappy site. If you have a great site there is very little chance (zero) that all the links coming to you would be nofollowed.

Old 8th October 2007, 02:15 PM   #8
juan

Thank you for your comments, Of course I make use of all of the other link development alternatives you mention, and I am having excellent results.

I am expert in my field because I have a broad experience in that segment, and so, I am sure that both my blog comments and my website´s content are relevant and solid.

However the point is a different one. People, broadly speaking, are basically reluctant to provide links. Why? I have an opinion about this.

Increasingly there are more seo articles, seo forums and seo websites. The SEO paranoia is capturing our minds. People don´t even have a look at what the other website´s content is about, they just check out the PR...

Within this widespread seo paranoia, the link paraoia specially stands out.

People are scared at the of idea of placing a link on their pages, not because they don´t believe the page is good content, but for the simple reason they fear and firmly beleive, they might be excluded from the google paradise.

Old 10th October 2007, 12:57 AM   #9
sirronstuff

I had a vendor deny me a link from his link page since I had a zero google page rank. (site is pretty new) Once companies have high ranking, I'm sure they want to do as little as possible to hurt their ranking.

After all, if they were looking for links, they'd have contacted you right?

I have noticed that most link exchange services seem to be filled with sites that use no follow tags, or choose to remove your listing as soon as you link to them.

I have had better luck looking at my top competitors, seeing who they are linked to, and pursuing them. Since I found the backlinks on their sites, I know they don't use no follow tags, and that they have interest in exchanging.

sirronstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2007, 07:59 AM   #10
juan

thanks god i have found someone agreeing with me....