Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Offline > General Offline Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th May 2007, 10:02 PM   #1
AndrewHealth

Default Advertising On Your Vehicle

I'm trying to get an idea of how many people here, either with primary online business OR offline businesses advertise on their vehicle?

In my opinion, I think every vehicle should have advertising on it. Obviously, the effectiveness of it depends on your population and also your market - but if there are people in your area that can benefit from your products or services, I think every person should advertising on their vehicle.

Old 8th May 2007, 06:41 PM   #2
tweakerxp

I do! I've got my entire rear window done, as well as my doors.

tweakerxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 07:23 PM   #3
pete
VIP Contributor

How many people ever write down a phone number or make a note of what they see on a window of a car or van?

I don't think I ever have and I've been driving 50 years.

Don't get me wrong, I've spent thousands of dollars getting vehicles turned into billboards, but even then I think you have to have a lot of them and then you are just selling an image.

For years I owned an auto parts business and had as many as 10 pickups and vans on the road constanly making deliveries. They were all painted yellow, had red stripes and numbers on the doors ala' NASCAR. In fact, I had a different number on each door, so they would think there were twice as many trucks.

And painting buses, large trucks, etc. I think is great. They really are rolling billboards.

But a bit of stick-on letters on a car or van does nothing for me.

Now Geeks on Call knows how to do it.

Years ago I worked for the Monroe shock absorber people as a sale rep. I drove a full-sized 4 door sedan, painted blue and yellow with "Shock Absorber Test Car # 1237" painted on the back of the trunk. The side of the car had
"Monro-Matic" from the taillight to the headlight in 20 or 24 inch letters.

I'd get stopped by the state police all the time, because the word got out that I had discount coupons for a set of demo shocks that I could pass out as I wished. I saw a lot of blue lights.

I also got flagged down by people just driving, asking about the products. One time I was sitting in a guy's glassed in office in Norfolk VA and some other guy came up and stuck his head in the door. Said "Hi, remember me? I stopped you out in Danville a couple of months ago and asked about Load-Levelers" Danville being maybe 3 hours from Norfolk.

So, yeah, I agree, get all you can out of your vehicle. But don't play the real estate agent game, trying to advertise and still have a family car. Go for it and let people know you're in business.

One problem with painting up the family sedan. Twice, once on the Blue Ridge and the other on the Colonial Parkways I got stopped by the US Park Rangers and told that "No Commercial Vehicles" signs meant me and the next exit was so many mile down the road.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2007, 10:16 PM   #4
mktgbiz

Yes sir.....I agree with Pete.

Magnetic car signs are, well, uhhhhhhh shall we say ho-hum. The immediate family and close friends might like it, buit I don't thinks it's as powerful as people hope it would be.

What's hot is car wraps or wrapping your car with your logo and info.

Now those grab my attention. Just like Pete says!!

-

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 12:14 AM   #5
CreativelyBelle

I can see the value for businesses with a fleet and as you said, for branding. But I've never taken down a number or website and followed up.

I did think of it for my business car but I have a jewelry business and thought it might invite a nasty creature to break into the car thinking they might find something (when I don't even have a CD player installed because I don't want to encourage any smackie to give it a go, so there isn't any jewelry in the car!).

I must confess to also feeling sorry for people who have to drive round in cars with advertising on them. Fleet vehicles are different.

Cheers
Belinda

CreativelyBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2007, 05:31 AM   #6
jillybeans

I respectfully disagree. I have jotted numbers down from vehicles. I also had a banner on my old car across the rear window that stated
KIDS Left in Cars DIE

this was because the police get over 50 calls a month regarding children left in vehicles unattended and I have found 4 children left in vehicles unattended. Here in Las Vegas a car can become 165+ degrees within minutes and children will die. How horrible is that!

You would be surprised how much attention a banner can get. I used to have thank you notes left on my windshield.

I would think an advertisement would be effective.

jillybeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2007, 05:13 PM   #7
Idea Guy

I haven't tried it yet, but my cousin does that all the time... Filling her car all over...
But, then she gained positive response huh...So good for her.. .

Old 11th July 2007, 01:26 AM   #8
zoobie
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to zoobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
How many people ever write down a phone number or make a note of what they see on a window of a car or van?

I don't think I ever have.
Do some innovations out of your idea. I agree with Pete and Mktgbiz.

Old 11th July 2007, 03:02 AM   #9
mitch

It works for me. I used to have my back window with a banner advertising my personal training business. Because my car is parked most of the time I used to get people ringing standing next to my car!!

I havn't put my details on my new car yet but I plan too. It works well for some businesses and doesn't work for others. I personally have taken down details of different car banners.

Also I don't think it is all about actually having someone write down your number there and then. Its getting the awareness of your company out there so when someone needs that specific service or product they will remember the banner that they have seen so many times, and then look the company up in the phone book.

mitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2007, 03:39 PM   #10
Namingly Kelly

Default It Must Be Working For The Car Companies

You can see advertising for the car companies all over the front, back, and inside of your car. The make and model are listed, even the license plate has the dealer's name on it! I don't even know if you can buy a vehicle without the car company's name on it. It must be working for the car companies.

Kelly

Namingly Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote