Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Social Media
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd January 2009, 08:47 AM   #1
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Exclamation Why I Don't Twitter

One of the hottest new trends these days is something called Twitter.

What is Twitter?

Twitter is a free social networking and micro-blogging service that allows users to send updates to the Twitter website.

Hey...that sounds pretty neat!

So why don't I Twitter?

Because I don't see the point.

Readers who are interested in getting marketing updates from me simply subscribe to my blog.

Everytime I update my blog, my readers are alerted automatically - instantly!

Anyway, that's why I don't Twitter.

Look, I'm not knocking Twitter.

But as far as me using it, I just don't see the point.

David Jackson

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 2nd January 2009, 11:06 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

You may want to check out a post I recently wroite at Search Engine Guide on this very subject - http://www.searchengineguide.com/dav...r-business.php.

It provides some compelling reasons why Twitter is more than just a time-waster

Old 2nd January 2009, 11:18 AM   #3
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wallace View Post
You may want to check out a post I recently wroite at Search Engine Guide on this very subject - http://www.searchengineguide.com/dav...r-business.php.

It provides some compelling reasons why Twitter is more than just a time-waster
I read your post.

And while you provide a compelling argument, I'm still not convinced.

David Jackson

Old 2nd January 2009, 04:58 PM   #4
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

Well, that's OK, you know. Just because some people find success with a particular communications medium doesn't mean everyone has to use that same channel. You use what works for you, others will use what works for them. In the end, it's less about the channel you use for communication and more about the fact that you are communicating with your customers and prospects, eh?

Personally, I find Twitter both useful and compelling, personally and professionally. But that's me, and I wouldn't necessarily expect everyone else to be just like me. Diversity makes the world go round!

Of course, before you write it off for the last time, you might want to take a look at Jennifer Laycock's series "From Twits to Tweeple". I was like you and didn't see the worth of the service until I read her series and decided to give it another try with her hints and ideas in mind.

Recently, I tweeted about a new rebate program my company was offering. For two days afterwards, the most prolific referrer to our rebate program landing page was... Twitter. I think you can consider me a Twitter convert.

Since you already seem to be familiar with the service, you can probably start with Part Three, which talks about business communication and networking with Twitter. (Parts One and Two deal with setting up an account and getting your profile in shape.) Part four shows how the "Power of the Re-Tweet" can help you go viral. And Part Five covers the use of Twitter as a source of breaking news.

You might also find the service easier to deal with (and the value easier to see) if you use some kind of third-party interface such as Tweetdeck or Twhirl. The standard web interface has some limitations and I've found these third party clients help me make more efficient use of the service.

But either way, cheers, and keep on communicating!

--Torka

Last edited by torka; 2nd January 2009 at 05:17 PM.
torka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2009, 05:40 PM   #5
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by torka View Post
In the end, it's less about the channel you use for communication and more about the fact that you are communicating with your customers and prospects, eh?
Exactly. And I'm communicating with my readers through channels that are much more palatable to me than Twitter.

That being said, when my readers subscribe to receive my blog updates, I give them the option of receiving their updates via Twitter.

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 2nd January 2009 at 05:43 PM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2009, 11:31 PM   #6
Vernita Sherman

Quote:
So why don't I Twitter?

Because I don't see the point.

Readers who are interested in getting marketing updates from me simply subscribe to my blog.
I use to think the same thing until I watched and learned how other people were using it and started using it myself. I donít suggest using twitter to follow-up with subscribers that you already have, but twitter is a great way to get new subscribers. How can someone subscribe to your blog if they donít even know that you exist?

There are thousands of internet marketers on twitter who could benefit from your blog if they only knew about you. A lot of people get on twitter and actually ask for help. In my first few days of using twitter two people had sent me a dm (direct message similar to a forums pm) asking for help with article marketing and mlm. They asked me questions based on some of the responses that they had seen me give other people. Both of these guys had joined my email list just from my answers to them.

Twitter is an excellent way to get the word out there about your blog. Of course you wouldnít blatantly advertise it, but you would help answer other peopleís questions and occasionally mention that you updated your blog. People will visit your site out of curiosity.

Vernita Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 10:38 AM   #7
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernita Sherman View Post
How can someone subscribe to your blog if they donít even know that you exist?
Are you suggesting that Twitter is a "be all, end all" solution for promoting your business?

Twitter is not the most effective way of promoting your business. It's not even close. I choose to promote my blog in ways that are less time consuming and much more effective than Twitter.

Guys if you're happy with Twitter more power to you. But please stop trying to convert me. I'm doing what works best for me. Respect that.

Besides, I've already stated that I give my readers the option of subscribing to my blog via Twitter.

Just because I choose not to Twitter doesn't mean I don't recognize or respect the fact that some of my readers may Twitter.

I'm no dummy!

David Jackson

Last edited by David Jackson; 4th January 2009 at 10:54 AM.
David Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 04:01 PM   #8
Vernita Sherman

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
Are you suggesting that Twitter is a "be all, end all" solution for promoting your business?

Twitter is not the most effective way of promoting your business. It's not even close. I choose to promote my blog in ways that are less time consuming and much more effective than Twitter.

Guys if you're happy with Twitter more power to you. But please stop trying to convert me. I'm doing what works best for me. Respect that.

Besides, I've already stated that I give my readers the option of subscribing to my blog via Twitter.

Just because I choose not to Twitter doesn't mean I don't recognize or respect the fact that some of my readers may Twitter.

I'm no dummy!

David Jackson

I'm in no way calling you a dummy or trying to convert you. All I was saying is that Twitter is a good way of generating traffic to your blog with all of the marketers that are on Twitter, you have the opportunity to expose yourself to them. Do you honestly think that I only use Twitter for traffic generation? I'm no dummy either!

I've only been using Twitter for two weeks but I've been in the internet marketing game since 2003 when there was no such thing as Twitter, Youtube, Myspace, Facebook, etc...and very few people where using blogs back then and fewer even knew what a blog was.

In my opinion the absolute best form of generating traffic to a website or blog is writting articles - it stands the test of time. Writting articles is how I first established an online presence and also how I made sales without using PPC.

I use several traffic generation strategies, but I am always open to social media sites because they help build relationships, get your name in the search engines, and they help give you backlinks to your site.

I was suprised when I typed my name into Google and found one of my tweets listed on the first page of results. That is the power of these social media sites.

Anyway, of course I don't belive in a be all end all way of promoting my business, I was just simply responding to your statement of not seeing the point of using Twitter.

Vernita Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th January 2009, 04:36 PM   #9
David Jackson
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernita Sherman View Post
In my opinion the absolute best form of generating traffic to a website or blog is writting articles - it stands the test of time.
Well, that's one thing we can agree on.

Article marketing is my #1 method of traffic generation.

David Jackson

Old 7th January 2009, 09:28 AM   #10
Tom Lindstrom
VIP Contributor

Twitter can be a very effective tool if used correctly.I use the tips found on this site and my traffic has increased.

http://www.twitip.com/

Tom Lindstrom is offline   Reply With Quote