Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Local Marketing
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd February 2012, 05:57 PM   #1
BoBo_184

Default Local Business Directories

There are a lot of local business directories out there... some are free, some are paid, some are both...

Which do you use for your own business or your clients? and why?

BoBo_184 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:11 PM   #2
iAmNameLess

I use the free. Most of these directories don't do much good in my opinion unless you're in a specialty trade or something. Findlaw, and psychologytoday offer decent paid listings.

For most clients the regular directories work perfectly fine. You only use them for citations anyway to rank the google places page higher in local listings.

Old 13th February 2012, 08:09 AM   #3
KateStevensB

Free local business directories are fine to me. Free local business directories are fine. There are only a few difference from paid to free business directories. Also, some top sites are free too like Yellow Pages etc...

KateStevensB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 05:06 PM   #4
RyanF

Default Free

Primarily use free ones. Especially in major metropolitan areas, there are lots of free/local directories.

RyanF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2012, 08:39 PM   #5
DennisChang
VIP Contributor

I mainly used free ones

DennisChang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Spy60

I also use the free ones. There are plenty to get citations from without paying.

Yahoo is the only one i would consider, but only if I had a lot of competition in a certain industry.

Spy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 02:16 AM   #7
printnstyle

Right now I’m focusing on just the basic free directories. If and when my budget allows I might look into something like Yahoo, but right now I’d rather invest my funds into a different way of getting my name out there.

printnstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 05:23 AM   #8
Kevin H

I apply simple business logic; and use both.

Where my potential clients, or my clients potential clients? That is where I want my advert, or my link, or my listing whatever (not just online but offline too).

Then I look at the costs and ROI.

FREE is always a good option (BUT only if it will bring business) otherwise I'm just building trouble for later.

Otherwise I pay what I deem reasonable for the likely business I will attract/or the value I put on the brand exposure.

Kevin H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 06:38 AM   #9
rachelmorgan

Smile

Hi,

I prefer local and business specific.

Thanks

rachelmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2012, 02:39 PM   #10
lptprinting

Send a message via Skype™ to lptprinting

It really depends on how you intend to use those lists. If your target is businesses in a certain town, then yes, use all the free resources you can. If you need to tighten up your criteria to (for example) Businesses with at least 6 employees, B rated credit or higher, and operate solely out of that location (no businesses with a headquarters elsewhere), you may benefit greatly from some paid list services. It can be the difference between dragging a net and seeing what you caught, and talking with pre-qualified candidates who you know are likely to need and afford your product or service.

I used to work for a company that did commercial and residential roofing and gutters. When I started, they were using free lists. They were doing around $25K monthly. Not bad at all, right? I convinced them to try out salesgenie from infousa. Within 3 months of using their service to search for lists of businesses and residents in the area with a certain property value and credit, we were able to increase our monthly sales to $80k. So even if you're successful with free lists, you may be missing out.

lptprinting is offline   Reply With Quote