Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Computing > Computer Software
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th June 2007, 01:37 AM   #1
lg52

Arrow Home Bookkeeping Business Software???

Hi all,
Boy, what a mess.......searching for the appropriate accounting software!! You would think this dog had been beat to death...lol. (no pun intended)

From all my research, I don't seem to be the only one starting a home based bookkeeping business that is in a turmoil about which software to use. I have limited experience in QB....and am not very impressed with it. I have also used Peachtree....not impressed with them either.

All I would like is a simple accounting program, since I am not a CPA, to use in my business...with capabilities to have unlimited companies, payroll.....without an annuall subscription to update (prefer to do that manually), and the usual financial reports needed, invoicing, bank reconcilliation, etc. Simple, uh?

It would seem like someone who does software developement would write a program such as this, but then how would they survive without all the bells and whistles included that most would not use and be charged monthly (ie...QB)???
I have searched the internet high and low and have almost decided to go with the new Microsoft Small Business Accounting program. Anyone using this?

Any advise would greatly be appreciated!

Thank you for your time...
Lea

lg52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 6th June 2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

You might also check out Bookkeeper 2007 to see if it suits your needs. I know some people who use the Microsoft Small Business Accounting mainly because of the integration into the other MS office products - they seem fairly pleased with it but dislike the merchant account program they had to sign up for with it. They said it takes about five days to get their money and they are not able to switch

Old 6th June 2007, 08:48 AM   #3
pete
VIP Contributor

There was such a product. OneWrite Plus would do what you want. Simple and easy to use with access to the withholding tables so you could spend 5 minutes a year changing the levels and percentages right out of the Circular E Annual Tables and you were done. To this day it irks me what QB and others charge for this.

One thing you do not get when not buying the updates is the annual changes in the "form filling templates", sich the government is obviously getting a kickback on this by making some change or another annually.

You can set up your own chart of accounts. It uses 4 digits, but that can be modified and with a suffix you can define branches or departments. I has a number of pre-defined COA's for a variety of businesses, which you can modify. Everything standard, 1- assets, 2 - liabilities, 3 - equity, 4 - income, 5 - cost of sales, 6, 7 & 8 various groups of expenses and 9 for other income/expense and taxes.

OneWrite Plus has had a number of owners over the years. When I first discovered it, it was an independent company, it was then bought by NEBS, the printing company, then independent again, then bought by Peachtree and then bought by Sage, who now owns most all of the bookkeeping programs left.

If you can find a copy of OWP, I'd suggest giving it a test drive. It never sold for more than $ 99, I don't think, and you may find it for just a few bucks. The tax tables have always been editable, as far as I know. Can't guarantee the more recent versions. Just make sure it will print acceptable W-2's. While it does 941's I would bet you would have to copy the results to a correct form.

You might also check on some accountants type sites and see if you can find some "client writeup" software.

pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2007, 10:45 AM   #4
lg52

Thanks Corey and Pete for the reply. I will check out One Write. It is very nice to have a place to come for answers!
Have a great day!
Lea

Old 6th June 2007, 01:47 PM   #5
Thx4yrtym

Default One-write no more!

One-Write was a nice program .

Jan 31, 2005 they stopped providing updates and it's no longer available.

Sorry I don't have a recommendation .

Good luck with your search. Have you checked the various bookkeeping organization sites? might find something there.

Old 6th June 2007, 02:48 PM   #6
pete
VIP Contributor

It's a funny thing about updates to accounting programs. I first bought both OneWrite Plus and QuickBooks 15 or 16 years ago. I sold, installed and trained on both. At that time with QB the payroll was a seperate program entirely. Different 5 1/4 floppy disk, different directory and a different "main menu" item to enter. OWP was all together.

And to be honest, there was very little that has ever needed to be added to OWP from then. A few bells and whistles, and certainly it had to be "Windowized" with some icons and such. But, for someone doing basic bookkeeping, as Lea is talking of doing, it was ideal even way back when.

Just plain old bookkeeping. No fancy graphs and such. Just all of the standard reports. It met GAAP standards from the start, something I know QB did not do for years, if it even does now. Indent levels, real balance sheet formatting, the whole ball of wax.

Most people in the "writeup" business, as she is talking about are just looking for the basics. Not many bookkeepers, or even full fledged accountants give slide show presentations. They produce P&L's, Balance Sheets and maybe a supporting page or two and take your $ 4,000 for the year. Black and white, baby. No color toner for them.

Well that's been OWP from the start. Basic, no frills accounting for someone who actually understands a balance sheet. It was great in DOS and started going downhill in Windows. (As is true of some other programs, as well.)

Old 6th June 2007, 07:55 PM   #7
lg52

Thanks for the replys. You are correct, One Write is retiring, there is a notice on their website with a warning of retirement... oh, well.

Check this out.....at my regular part time job as a bookkeeper, I use Peachtree Classic, on 98SE. The only module I use is A/R and general ledger. The checkbook, payroll and all else is done.............pencil/pen and paper! Drives me nuts at eom, qtrlys, and year end. I do use Excel for my cash/sales journals now without any problems.

I was using Excel for payroll. End of last year, lost formulas, and it was a nightmare....to say the least! Practicly the whole year had to be redone.

And to top that off, the owners will not upgrade to automation at all, on anything....so, still using Classic with A/R, no tech support. So, finding a good reasonable software for my home business is a must for me.

I checked out Bookkeeper 2007.....not enough automation in setting up businesses. Guess I can't have it all....lol Will probably have no choice but to use what is the most popular now days, QB or Peachtree.

I still think a programmer would make a mint if they would come up with a good package to give QB and Peachtree some very much needed competetion.

Old 6th June 2007, 08:03 PM   #8
pete
VIP Contributor

I actually am an authroized resller of BK2007. But I've stopped selling it. I started with 2006, selling it to small home-based businesses, but while I thought I had put it through the wringer before offering it for sale, I soon found a few really glaring ommissions and I stopped selling it.

It would not allow for more than one set of check numbers, causing someone to "use up" a check number if they made a debit card purchase. It also would not allow adding shipping charges to an invoice for purchased goods, which meant "writing" two checks to pay one invoice.

I bypassed the company marketing the program, Advanquest, and was told that those and a few other improvements would be made, but 2007 still didn't have them, so I gave up entirely.

Get an old 486 DOS computer and a DOS version of OWP and you can do everything you need to do.

Old 7th June 2007, 04:13 PM   #9
MCARLEY

Default If you like using Excel try this....

Big E-Z Monthly Bookkeeping for Microsoft Excel

Hi Lea,

I actually designed this product about 7 years ago.

Most businesses using this product are small non-profits, treasurers of clubs and associations with a high turn over of volunteers keeping the books. But some people are using this product as write up software to keep books for a group of clients. It is quite simple. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles and is very low price. It updates the checkbook, tracks income and expenses, does a profit & loss summary, bank reconciliations, and has budget vs actual charts. But it is limited in what it will do. It won't do a balance sheet (most customers don't know how to make proper journal entries like depreciation etc.) It won't print your checks and invoices.

There is a payroll program without tax tables so you will have to look up Federal and State withholding and plug it into the spreadsheet.

Try a demo from the website if you like. Let me know what you think.

MCARLEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2007, 08:48 AM   #10
lg52

Hi MCARLEY,

Thank you so much for the nice reply. I went to the website to check your program out and had problems viewing the demo after registering. I would prefer a software that does invoicing, printing checks and financial reports though.

At current, I am testing the new Microsoft Office Accounting Express 2007 and the PayWindow Payroll program. So far, the payroll software seems pretty impressive. Have you any input on these two programs?