Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Copywriting
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th May 2007, 10:51 AM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How To Emotionally-Charge Your Copywriting To Boost Sales

Appeal to their emotions.

"Mesmerizing Stories - I already don't have to tell you that stories will obviously evoke emotion. Watch a tragedy, you'll feel sad. Watch a sci-fi movie and you'll probably feel excitement. Watch a horror flick and you'll more than likely feel scared. My advice to you is to weave stories into your sales letters that stir up hope in attaining a goal, avoiding trouble or achieving a dream."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...nt/008758.html

What is your opinion on trying to appeal to your reader through emotions?
Sometimes, to me that is, it comes across kind of corny and I don't take it seriously.

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 30th May 2007, 02:27 PM   #2
franglix

Send a message via Skype™ to franglix
Default A fourth dimension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda View Post
What is your opinion on trying to appeal to your reader through emotions?
Sometimes, to me that is, it comes across kind of corny and I don't take it seriously.
Too much emotional corn is often seen in the 'squeeze' page (?) model of one-web-page writing, where 'ya gotta buy, or ya gonna die' without my/this ebook/strategy. Funnily enough it often sits in front of an affiliate link.

However they do use well a fourth emotional dimension (not mentioned in the article), that which is often found lurking in customer testimonials: the 'problem-solved and I am relieved' sort of feeling.

I can see that if you capture and summarise these 'problem found for solution' issues in relatively little anchor text, they can be a good to pull different sorts of clients off the front page of a site. They can also be good in the 'take a decision' call to action style. There is potential in them, but I am not sure I am that skilled to do more than just notice them.

franglix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2007, 07:31 PM   #3
copywriter

Keep in mind that "emotion" and "hype" are two ENTIRELY different things. "Emotion" to a corporate CEO is going to be the complete opposite of emotion according to an 18 year old boy. Emotion, like copywriting, is not a one-size-fits-all deal.

Far too many copywriters think emotion equates to hype and that's just not true. You can't lump all emotion into one category because emotion is as different as each individual.

The trick is to know which emotions to key into and how to deliver them so they don't sound corny.