Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Inspiration & Ideas > What Type of Business Should I Start?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st January 2011, 08:50 PM   #1
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Default Checklist To Understand Marketing Benefits Of A Franchise

One of the primary benefits provided by franchise is better marketing at a lower cost. By leveraging their size and expertise a franchise can create better brand and improve sales for all franchisees. Subway positioned itself as the Diet Sandwich Shop in the minds of all Americans by running the “Jared” campaign for number of years.

However, not all franchises do such a good job of marketing. A number of them waste their and franchisees’ money by spending on frivolous, useless marketing activities. That’s why it is important to understand the value provided by franchise in terms of marketing and compare it against the investment you have to make as a franchisee – in other words the return on your marketing spend.

There are several aspects of marketing you need to be aware of to understand the marketing benefits provided by franchise. We have provided below a checklist of questions you need to ask the franchise and other franchisees to explore from all angles the marketing plans of the franchise and value provided to its franchisees.

Read more - http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...-of-franchise/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 15th March 2011, 05:28 AM   #2
abeyaustin111

Nice blog very well written and included very important points especially Marketing Techniques. Thanks for sharing this with us.

abeyaustin111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Jerad

Default Something better than a franchise!

my experience is that generally franchises are not the best idea....their start up costs alone are prohibitive for most people. Not only does it cost you an arm or a leg to get started (and this is no joke...many people have to take out a second mortgage or a large loan just to buy into the opprotunity!) but the franchise fees never go away...you have to pay them a portion of your gross earnings for the rest of your business life! To be fair, the high initial price tag and ongoing franchise fees do usually garner you some back end support, perhaps brand recognition (this is the one thing worth considering) and some general, centralized marketing. The one thing that really irratates me are the stories I hear of franchisees being required to purchase proprietary supplies, parts, tools, equipment or ingredients from the head corporation at outrageously inflated prices. Some of those guys sure stick it to you from both ends! A much, much better alternative is to find a business willing to provide training for a legitimate business opprotunity that offers full technical training, training in advertising and marketing, personal coaching and back end support. It is not uncommon to find business people who have built up sucsessful businesses and have now moved on to training others to do the same in that market. Such training can usually be had at a fraction of the cost, provides quality, real world training in something the instructor has personal experience in, AND requires no ongoing franchise fees. A simple internet search should provide some leads if you have a market in mind. After 18 years of running a successful Dryer Vent Cleaning business, I now train others to do the same...with all the tips and tricks and the wealth of marketing knowledge I've picked up along the way. I offer one on one coaching and tons of training in marketing...in fact, there are people who want to take the marketing course by itself to use in their own business. I'm currently working on that! Anyway, I know there are others like myself out there that will provide training and support in a variety of industries, without the costs and restrictions associated with franchises. Best of luck!

Jerad
[email protected]

Jerad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2011, 08:57 PM   #4
AngelBiz
VIP Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerad View Post
my experience is that generally franchises are not the best idea....their start up costs alone are prohibitive for most people. Not only does it cost you an arm or a leg to get started (and this is no joke...many people have to take out a second mortgage or a large loan just to buy into the opprotunity!) but the franchise fees never go away...you have to pay them a portion of your gross earnings for the rest of your business life! To be fair, the high initial price tag and ongoing franchise fees do usually garner you some back end support, perhaps brand recognition (this is the one thing worth considering) and some general, centralized marketing. The one thing that really irratates me are the stories I hear of franchisees being required to purchase proprietary supplies, parts, tools, equipment or ingredients from the head corporation at outrageously inflated prices. Some of those guys sure stick it to you from both ends! A much, much better alternative is to find a business willing to provide training for a legitimate business opprotunity that offers full technical training, training in advertising and marketing, personal coaching and back end support. It is not uncommon to find business people who have built up sucsessful businesses and have now moved on to training others to do the same in that market. Such training can usually be had at a fraction of the cost, provides quality, real world training in something the instructor has personal experience in, AND requires no ongoing franchise fees. A simple internet search should provide some leads if you have a market in mind. After 18 years of running a successful Dryer Vent Cleaning business, I now train others to do the same...with all the tips and tricks and the wealth of marketing knowledge I've picked up along the way. I offer one on one coaching and tons of training in marketing...in fact, there are people who want to take the marketing course by itself to use in their own business. I'm currently working on that! Anyway, I know there are others like myself out there that will provide training and support in a variety of industries, without the costs and restrictions associated with franchises. Best of luck!

Jerad
[email protected]
Jerad

Very good observations from your own experience. While I agree with some of your assessment about franchising I believe there are benefits of franchising; particularly for someone who has never owned a business.

I had written another post where I explained what benefits you can expect from the franchise - http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...dent-business/

My advice is to have a good understanding of what you are getting into before joining the franchise. You have to ask the right questions to the franchise before making decision as shown in this post here - http://www.angelbusinessadvisors.com...efore-joining/

AngelBiz is offline   Reply With Quote