Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > General Search Engine Marketing Information
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 19th September 2008, 05:21 PM   #1
Crigital Media

Default Are You An 8 Track Or An MP3?

Are You An 8 Track or An MP3?

In today’s world of instant gratification, the consumer demands an internet presence from every business seeking to establish itself in a competitive market. Those businesses that do not have an internet presence inadvertently loose a small amount of credibility in the eyes of the consumer. To quote Bill Gates, “The Internet is becoming the town square for the global village of tomorrow.” Businesses that take advantage of available technology will earn a vital spot on that digital town square and also realize greater success in their business endeavors. So I ask this question: If you had to place yourself in one of these categories, which would you use to describe yourself regarding the level of knowledge that you posses of today’s available technology? Are you an 8 Track, a Cassette, A CD, or and MP3?
In 1981 when I graduated high school, my old 66 Chevelle Supersport would roll into the school parking lot just minutes before the tardy bell rang with my high-tech 8 track player rattling the car windows. 8 tracks at the time were the hot new thing making music portable instead of having to be glued in front of your record player listening to your favorite songs on a 45 vinyl record. For those of you too young to know what an 8 track player is I can sum it up in two words, NO REWIND or CLICK CLICK and I don’t mean with a mouse.
Most probably, if you are between the ages of 25-30 you haven’t had the pleasure of waiting through four or five songs to play before you could actually hear the song that you wanted to listen to in the first place. For those of you who remember fondly then I address this article to you.

It is a challenge for most business owners to keep up with the rapidly changing technology offered today. But to be competitive in today’s fast paced market you must keep up or forever get left behind.

In 1994 a vocalist signed an artist development deal in Nashville, TN with an independent music group and a video shoot was scheduled. At that time cassette tapes were on the cusp of receiving their pink slips but still dominated the industry. Because the artist’s album only existed on tape, the independent music group paid $200 to have it transferred to a digital format so that the audio could be synced with the video. If they did not sync the audio then the end product might have very well ended up like one of those Saturday afternoon karate movies where the voice doesn’t match the actor’s mouth movements. That digital format was none other than a CD. Yes, the same CD that you can now slide into your computer and in a matter of seconds view or record massive amounts of data not unlike science officer Spok on the bridge of the star ship Enterprise. Fourteen years later a CD costs pennies.

The business world could not function today without email, fax machines, and the internet that not so many years ago was a futuristic fantasy. Just as these features are an everyday staple of society, there are other forms of technology readily available that are not being taken advantage of by the small to mid-sized business owner. Weather it be the lack of knowledge of digital marketing tools or the apathy and unwillingness of the middle aged business owner to add these components to their marketing strategies, it is a fact that technology will continue to evolve and we as businesses owners need to evolve with it or get left behind. While tried and true traditional forms of marketing are not obsolete like the 8 track, I do encourage you to include these new and exciting forms of technology to your marketing plan. For those who continue to embrace their marketing as a whole with the mind set of a “cassette” business owner standing in the midst of an “MP3” world then let me impress upon you that you have a responsibility to the continued success of your business to incorporate these newer technologies such as video streaming, podcasts, video emails, online business networking sites such as www. Bizortal.com, interactive websites, and Blogs or you will inevitably fall the way of the 8 track.

If you are not planning for success, you are planning for failure. So, are you an 8 track, cassette, CD, or MP3? Hopefully, if you are not already implementing that MP3 mentality, then now is the time to do so insuring that your business will “Rock On’ into a very profitable future.

Jennifer Woodfin
Crigital Media
“If you are not planning for success you are planning for failure.”

Crigital Media is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.