Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Search Engine Optimization
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st September 2005, 09:47 AM   #1
Danny

Default advice required please on cross linking

Hi all, let me first of all explain our situation.
We have a main site with just under 2 thousands items on. its got a page rank of 5 (if that matters any more) and has some good listings on page 1 of google (uk search) for some of our most important keywords.

during the last few months we have built a new web site. this new website is solely dedicated to a range of 45 items. the new site goes into great depth about the product range and is a fantastic resource for anyone looking to purchase an item of this nature.

the items on the new site are also listed on our main site.

both sites are completly different, the structure, layout, and design all differ from one another.

my question is, will it harm us or help us if we were to link the 2 sites together?

if it would hurt us, how come?

if it would help us, are we talking about a link on each others home page? or linking from all pages?

obviously my main concern is using any illegal techniques etc.

i would really appreciate your help on this matter.

thanks for your time.

Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 21st September 2005, 09:50 AM   #2
David Wallace

Search Engine Guide Blogger

As long as you do not have duplicate content between the both sites you should be fine. It doesn't sound like you do so you should be okay.

Old 21st September 2005, 10:46 AM   #3
Logan
Administrator

I'd be concerned with cross linking a new site as you describe. Based on your scenario presented the new site will get most of its link popularity from your existing site. Google may pick up on this. I believe google also factors in whois, hosting, etc so the ownership/association of the two may be a concern also to me. My comments are more in specific to Google than Yahoo, MSN.

Old 21st September 2005, 11:03 AM   #4
Danny

HHMMM.... well, some of the information will be the same, but only small amounts - it sort of has to be.

maybe i am better off getting the new site listed with related sites?

we have been live with the new site for about 3 weeks now and we have already been picked up by google and msn.

the first thing i did was an open directory submission and to get listed with Froogle, i think google must have liked that.

im listed on a number of shopping directories and related information sites.

we have yet to get listed under our keywords yet, but, if we have been picked up then maybe it is best not to rock the boat???

Old 21st September 2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Logan
Administrator

Those are good steps for starters.

To me a safe natural route is best for the long term. If you treat each site as a truly unique identity then you will likely have similar levels of success with the new site that you experienced with the older site.

Why is it necessary that some content duplicate?

Duplication of content is a huge 'spam' issue with the search engines so it is important that you take all steps to not duplicate content. For example, if you must have duplicate content is it possible to exclude its inclusion within the search engines by using a the robots.txt standard?

Old 22nd September 2005, 03:23 AM   #6
Danny

the products that we list on our sites have certain specifications and this information does need to be displayed on the product pages.

obviously we are not the only people to sell these items so there are alot of sites out there that will have pretty much the same content as us.

how far do search engines go? do they read our address in the contact section? do they read our terms and conditions and match them up?

Old 22nd September 2005, 09:48 AM   #7
St0n3y

Search Engine Guide Blogger

My concern is that your second site provides the same products as your main site (though your main site obviously provides more). I would consider removing the products and product info from the main site directing the visitors to the new site to purchase there and there alone. This will prevent any possible duplicate content penalties while also avoiding the appearance that you're just creating new sites to dominate top search results for the same key phrases.

Along the lines of what Logan said, you should make the product content unique. It doesn't matter that others sell the same thing, find something new/unique to say about the products to establish yourself apart from the rest of the pack.

Old 25th September 2005, 06:13 PM   #8
copywriter

We're only talking about one link here, right? A link from one site to the other and from the other back to the first? Do it. It's not a problem. It isn't as though you're setting up an entire link farm to generate false impressions.

I have 4 sites that all rank in the top 5 and the first link any of them got was from my existings sites. I don't put the links on the home page, but usually on the About Us (because it makes sense to explain that site B is owned and operated by site A) and/or on the Contact Us page.

Quote:
Duplication of content is a huge 'spam' issue with the search engines so it is important that you take all steps to not duplicate content.
I have a different opinion about this. What happens (with Google anyway) is that the original site that lists the content gets "credit" for it and will be ranked accordingly. Other sites will not be penalized as spam but will usually be ignored. This however, does not apply to articles.

You can find the same article listed on countless sites all listed one right after the other in Google SERPs. Doesn't seem to matter how many sites they are on. Type in "The Mystery of the Magical Keyword Density Formula" (for example) and you'll see it pop up in the rankings on I don't know how many sites. Same, exact content word for word and yet all those sites have their pages listed in Google.

Old 25th September 2005, 06:20 PM   #9
Old Welsh Guy

My take is somewhat different to everyone else (sorry)

If you excessively cross link the sites they Yahoo and MSN will pick it up long before Google does . (I know it is crazy that the one that places the most value on links is the poorest at picking up cross linking).

I have run tests on this and yahoo will pick up normal cross linking and triangular cross linking unless that is, you link out to other sites with as much or more regularity. So if you have a site with 1500 pages, and you put a link sitewide, then your gonna get nailed and lose both potentially.

My advice is to tread carefully, and to avoid site wide or multi links like the plague.

Old 25th September 2005, 06:43 PM   #10
copywriter

But this is for excessive cross linking and site-wide linking, correct? Are you also of the opinion that putting one link on a site (About Us page or whatnot) will potentially cause this?

I've had one link to my other sites up (within the text and in proper context, not on a "links" or "resources" page) for years and I'm still good to go with Google and everybody else.

Unlike you, I have not done any extensive testing. This is just my own experience so I'm interested in what you've found out.