Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Selling Ad Space
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th July 2005, 08:54 PM   #1
Robert
Administrator

Default AdSense No-no's

If you are running AdSense, be sure that you stay current with their terms of service. I was reading them again last night and found something I wasn't aware of before; AdSense ads can not be placed on parked domains. I should have realized that but it stuck out as something I'd missed. So, I thought I'd pull out some items from Google's AdSense TOS [TOS = Terms of Service] as a reminder:

These are only a portion of the items you should be aware of and they are subject to change so keep an eye on the TOS:

-Do not put AdSense ads, search boxes, or AdLinks units on any non-content pages including on error, login, "thank you" or welcome pages.

-Do not place AdSense ads on chat pages.

-AdSense ads can't be placed on parked domains, pop-ups, pop-unders, or in any email. They are testing AdSense for email so an email option will hopefully be available soon.

-Do not place AdSense ads on pages created just for showing ads. Keep your AdSense ads on pages with quality content.

-Do not obscure any part of the AdSense ads with other page elements. For example, do not place an AdSense ad unit on your page and then cover up the part of the unit that says "Ads by Gooooooogle" to mask the fact that they are ads.

-Be sure that all ad elements, including the text and URL, are visible. For example, don't pick a URL color that matches your background color.

-For alternate AdSense ads (for the times there is no AdSense inventory for a spot), don't designate another AdSense unit as your alternate ad.

-Do not pre-populate an AdSense search box. For example, taking a high paying term and having it automatically display in the search field of a search box so all the visitor has to do is click the button to search. The visitor has to type the term in.

-If you are running AdSense ads, you may not run ads from other context targeted ad services. For example, when Yahoo! rolls out their AdSense alternative, you won't be able to run both on the same page at the same time.

-If you sell ads directly to advertisers, be sure your ads don't look just like a Google ad. They don't want confusion in the visitors mind as to what is their ad unit and what is yours.

-No AdSense ads on pages with MP3, video, news group or image results. It is interesting that as of today's date, Flickr, which is basically a big directory of images owned by Yahoo! displays Google's AdSense ads on some of the pages. If you'd like to see an example of Yahoo!'s alternative to AdSense, there were some in the lower left column of this page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/work/

-Do not click your own ads. Make sure your spouse and kids know not to click on your own ads as well.

-Do not in any way encourage visitors to click your ads.

-If you sell your site, your AdSense account can not be transferred to the new owner.

-Do not modify the AdSense code Google provides in any way.

-Do not place a search box on a page with no other content relevant to your site.

-If your have Google's AdSense search boxes on your site, you can't run search boxes from other services. For example, you wouldn't be able to run a search box from goClick and AdSense on the same *site*. This one easily trips people up because Google generally seems to only exclude the use of competitors on a page by page basis. This specifically says *site*.

Again, this is NOT a complete list and is meant only as a refresher. If you ever have questions or are unsure if doing something would violate the TOS, send an email to: [email protected]

Also, an AdSense FAQ can be found here: https://www.google.com/support/adsense

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 4th May 2006, 11:56 PM   #2
bitdaddy

Thanks for posting this - it cut off a bunch of thoughts I had about using my ads Google's quite good at covering all the different cases.

bitdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 06:46 PM   #3
esearing
VIP Contributor

I take exception with "Do not modify the AdSense code Google provides in any way."

Some of their code is not semantic or W3C dompliant. Many times their 468x60 box needs to be 468x65 to display properly. They use invalid tag closings such as : <input sometext></ input> instead of <input sometext / >. Their search box code contains no line breaks and performs poorly in some browsers, so < br /> tags can be added to make things flow better.

Those of us who practice standards are often dismayed and our sites invalidated by poor coding from Gooogle and other Affilliate programs.

esearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th May 2006, 06:54 PM   #4
Matt McGee

Thanks for all of that, Robert -- a good reminder on some things, and an education on others I wasn't aware of.