Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > Reviews
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st July 2011, 10:28 AM   #1
Ted GWL

Default Need Your Opinion About My Content

I just wrote and published an article over at Goarticles that talks about How To Promote A Brand New Website.

I am asking members here if they would please take a look at that article and offer any constructive feedback on it.

I am interested in learning about the following things:

1) Do I come across as being knowledgeable in the article?
2) Was everything easy to understand or did it leave you with questions?
3) Did this article give you a good impression of me, a neutral impression of me or a bad impression of me?

Any other feedback you would like to offer would be much appreciated. Thanks

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:13 AM   #2
lordspace

it's pretty good article.
you explain it to people who are just launching their site and they don't any experience with online marketing.
there are kontera ads is it possible to limit the keywords it underlines ? e.g. to 2 max ?

lordspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 04:52 AM   #3
Ted GWL

Thanks for the feedback from both of you so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordspace View Post
it's pretty good article.
you explain it to people who are just launching their site and they don't any experience with online marketing.
there are kontera ads is it possible to limit the keywords it underlines ? e.g. to 2 max ?
I have no control over those ads because it is not my site. Goarticles controls the ads on there. I get a sense that you wish they didn't use that form of advertising. I don't much like it either. I think it keeps people from using their website more.

A lot of those article directories over-monetize to the point where it degrades the user experience for the people reading the articles. That is partially responsible for why the Google Panda update hurt them so much.

Any more feedback?

Old 23rd July 2011, 08:28 PM   #4
ActionableBiz

Ted,

You definitely come across as knowledgeable in the article; so that's great! Keep it up!

I also think the article is quite well written but since I do a lot of content audits for my clients, I thought I'd point out somethings that jump out at me, especially for your second question:

1. Although you have tons of great info in the article; they're all hidden in text.

I'm quite sure GoArticles allows you to use bullets and even change fonts to bold, italic etc to draw attention. Try using those (just don't overuse them) to tell me what I'm going to gain by investing my time in reading this article.

2. You can also use the intro to quickly tell me what I'm going to gain from the article. If I can quickly understand what you're going to talk about next, it aids me in understanding the actual content of your article.

Your question about the impression I get from the article is a bit tricky because its going to be very subjective. However; I think a short introduction goes a long way in helping people feel like they "know" you. It forms the basis of liking you and then trusting you so in your bio, you can position yourself in my mind as an expert or someone I should "follow" by mentioning a little bit about you and your company without taking away from your CTA.

ActionableBiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 06:32 AM   #5
Ted GWL

@Actionablebiz

Thanks a million for the feedback! Points taken.

Looks like good solid advice.

Any others person's feedback would also be appreciated.

Old 24th July 2011, 11:45 AM   #6
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Hi Ted GWL,

Good article. Nothing wrong there. The only problem that I see is that (because I read so much on line) is that I think you should break up the article with sub headings. Even some point form to get your points across... possibly at the end of your article.

I find that most want to 'scan' an article. Sometimes reading every word of it is a little overwhelming... only to find that the article may not address what I am looking for.

When I write, I use the 3 point approach. Basically, I introduce what I am going to talk about... maybe adding why it's important. Then I list 3 points, usually in their own sub heading that is bold.

At the end, I wrap it up and provide a summary, sometimes with bullets of the most important parts.

That way, people can scan the article... and get the info they want fast. After all, the internet is about 'fast', no?

Hope this helps! Good luck!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 12:02 PM   #7
Ted GWL

@BeTheBest

Thank you sir for taking the time to review my material.

I sincerely appreciate and value your feedback.

I am really interested in getting some feedback about how the article impacts your opinion of me. Do you feel that I am about average on the knowledge scale, above average, below average? Or, does that article not influence your opinion of that at all? Or, is there something I could do in the future to improve your opinion of me?

All feedback is highly appreciated. Thank you all.

Anyone else who wants to read it and offer advice would be most appreciated.

Old 25th July 2011, 10:02 PM   #8
smallbus01

That was a great article. Very informative but BeTheBest said it right.

"I find that most want to 'scan' an article. Sometimes reading every word of it is a little overwhelming... only to find that the article may not address what I am looking for."

In this day and age everyone just wants it fast and efficient.

smallbus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 07:05 PM   #9
BeTheBest
VIP Contributor

Quote:
I am really interested in getting some feedback about how the article impacts your opinion of me
What you're asking is really subjective. I don't have a problem with your information; I had a problem with the way you did the format.

I think you will do a lot better and be more credible if you stick to what I said before; you can always add content for those who really want more to read... but for the most part, keep it easy to scan and dig out the info that the reader is looking for.

The way people will 'tell you' that they think you're credible is when they sign up to your list. That's the ticket baby!

BeTheBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 07:09 PM   #10
Ted GWL

@smallbis & BeTheBest

Thanks for your input gentlemen.