Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > General Issues > General Small Business Issues
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th July 2006, 08:35 AM   #1
JGAviator

Default Partners vs. No-Partners

Just doing some research...

I know with the online businesses, it's probably easy to say that it's better not to have partners, but for people that might have a "brick and mortar" style business, how do you feel about having partners???

Do you currently have partners and if so, do you still like the idea of a business partner?

How would your business be different if you did or didn't have a partner?

If you have a partner, how is the ownership divided (ie: 50/50)?

Thanks for your input...

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 26th July 2006, 09:23 AM   #2
SoKyBiz
VIP Contributor

Send a message via Yahoo to SoKyBiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGAviator
Just doing some research...

I know with the online businesses, it's probably easy to say that it's better not to have partners, but for people that might have a "brick and mortar" style business, how do you feel about having partners???

Do you currently have partners and if so, do you still like the idea of a business partner?

How would your business be different if you did or didn't have a partner?

If you have a partner, how is the ownership divided (ie: 50/50)?

Thanks for your input...
I've had partners in online and B&M and can tell you from experience that it's much easier without partners. Especially when partners are 'friends' or even acquaintances.

It comes down to personalities, sensitivities, emotions and attitude. So much time and effort is wasted trying not to offend or insult the partners. So much is lost when partners cannot agree or even if they feel like there is a disagreement. For me, the most difficult parts have been emotional.

I've resolved not to have partners ever again though it's a resolution that is not cast in stone. If I were to consider a partner again, I would either have to be a funding partner only, or in full control with the last word.

If you choose to have a partner, and I know many people need partners to get off the ground, be sure and write up a simple memorandum of understanding that outlines the roles of each partner. Make sure everyone is clear who make what decisions.

Another caveat, make sure your partnership agreement includes a first right of refusal clause that will allow you the exclusive rights to the partner shares if they choose to dissolve. This is important if you don't want to receive a letter in the mail notifying you that your partnership is now with someone you had no intent of being partners with.

In the end, I've found that having a partner equates to 'a feeling' of less ownership; an attitude of less worth; a little less enthusiasm for the end result. Yes... it's an emotional thing.

That said, my life partner and I share everything and do so willingly, though even there we make concessions, we have disagreements, we sometimes don't get what we might want individually. A business partnership is much like a marriage, whomever you've decided to partner with is now your companion of sorts and you will have to deal with the "better or worse" in the end. Hopefully, you won't get it in "the end" through the partnership.

There are ways to gain private financing through partnership agreements... just be clear that it is a financial arrangement and not an operational one. Be ready to stand up for yourself when (and it will happen) your financial partner wants to dictate how you will run your business.

If, you are considering a partnership to expand an existing business, consider a limited partnership for that area of your business. For example, you build airplanes and you find the best interior person in the world. You can offer a share in that aspect of your business through profit sharing for interior work or even fractional ownership in the interiors division.

Some of the best advice I've ever received was from a friend when I told him I was considering a partnership. He advised me to seek the counsel of a qualified attorney to review the agreements and modify them so my best interests are protected. This is exceptionally difficult when considering partnerships with friends, but the fact is, the prospective partner doesn't even have to know you received counsel or that the modifications came through an attorney... just do it on the sly and no one will get offended. (there, we're back to emotions again eh?) On second thought, if you want to go to a lawyer and your partner is insulted by this... RUN WAY! They will not be able to handle the other hard decisions in the future. Again... in my opinion.

There you have it. If you can avoid partners... do it. If you want to motivate a key employee, offer profit sharing. If you are seeking funding, arrange a financial agreement with payment schedules or like a private stock arrangement. But in my opinion, partnerships are much more trouble than they're worth.

Old 20th June 2007, 06:08 PM   #3
MikeAnd

SoKyBiz's advice is right on target.

There's just one thing that I would add. Make sure that you find a business partner who's skills and experience complement your own. That is, if you are an operations person, find a business partner who has sales and marketing experience. Or, if you're the sales and marketing person, find a business partner who has operations experience.

It is so important that you know from the outset what you need for a potential business partner to bring to the table in order to make your business a success.

MikeAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2007, 07:25 PM   #4
SeattleCPA
VIP Contributor

A comment from a CPA: Have a plan or idea upfront of how to unwind the partnership when it ends. It will end at some point--even if for really acceptable reasons like retirement or sale of the business.