Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > eBay & Other Auctions & Marketplaces
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd March 2012, 08:38 AM   #1
HeyImJordan

Default Need Lots Of Help!!

Ok, so im really interested in starting an online business and I think i want to sell on Amazon. wow so many questions i want to ask so ill just make a list:

-What do I need in order to be able to purchase from a wholesale distributor? EIN and a Business license?
-What kind of business license is best suited for online sales? I believe I read somewhere that a sole proprietorship is taxed about 15% more than a LLC
-What are good products in your opinion to sell? I really like car audio I have a good amount of knowledge on the subject and i would assume the markup is quite substantial and would leave a nice profit margin? but i have no idea any help would be appreciated
-I guess I'm not really sure how the taxes work... are most things sold online subject to IOWA sales tax?
-I see lots of threads with ebay in the title.. is ebay more profitable than amazon?
-How do i get the best possible rates on shipping?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

If possible I would like to get in touch with someone via email just for support along the way if possible my email is [email protected]

HeyImJordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 22nd March 2012, 06:21 PM   #2
mktgbiz

What do you need to purchase from a wholesale distributor? Depends.....if you buy from a wholesale distributor, or someone who is selling like one, on ebay, then you need nothing....just the cash up front to make the purchase!

Other than that re-sale certificate is usually expected.

Here again, depending on where online you're selling, you may not need a license. You can but goods and immediately resell on ebay that day. I do it all the time.

What kind of products are good? Depends.......I will tell you this. The most popular, cool, tech gear leaves room for little profit because everybody is selling at bottom dollar just to a gain a new customer to add to their mailing list. On the other hand......vintage stuff is rockin'-the-casbah! (Note the TV Shows - Pawn Stars, American Pickers, American Restoration, etc - we baby boomers like our memories).

Taxes? Most Internat sales are not taxed because you are selling out of state.

Ebay more profitable than Amazon? Don't know for sure, but I know about 9 - 11% of the total selling price (including the shipping amount) ends up going to eBay or Paypal.....I would imagine Amazon has a similar fee.

Unfortunately, there are no deals on shipping. The Post Office is raising rates on an annual basis and have actually made shipping a table lighter that doesn't fit into a "Small Flat Rate Priority Box" a pain in the ACE! I shipped one today....luckily I had a box the lighter would fit in but it still cost almost 6 bucks for parcel post shipping.

anyhow.......hope that helps!

www.holidaycardwebiste.com/getmorebiznow
mktgbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2012, 06:24 PM   #3
CrossCountry2

Hi,

I have been selling online for about 6 years and from being in the us my experience with companies is that they only require a business license. Unless that's changed I don't think you need much to start up a .com enterprise.

A drop-shipping company that i currently used is called Petra (www.petra.com).
The only time that you will pay taxes is if you're selling within the state.
For shipping the cheapest way is to be fast and through and do all shipping yourself.
For the best products its kinda hit or miss when it comes to that because everyone will be at each other for sales and the profits will be low..
Do some research on Amazon, eBay, Google and find out what people are buying and work from there..

If you need more info send me a PM, I wouldn't mind going into much more details on how i got started..

Old 2nd August 2012, 09:41 PM   #4
lucy2012

hi,your repsonse sounds interersting,there a very important info need to go further discussion that;s how to make a research on ebay and amon to find the answer what they buy most and what kind of the products are hot selling,by the way what kind of business you are dealing,from your long listed you are marure on the business managing,good luck always

lucy2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2012, 10:20 PM   #5
rreger

A guy named Skip McGrath has a great resource about selling on Ebay. It's called the Complete Ebay Marketing System. You can find it here - http://www.skipmcgrath.com/products/...s-system.shtml

rreger is offline   Reply With Quote