Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Pay Per Click Advertising
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17th May 2008, 03:41 AM   #1
namanj

Default Do Negative Keywords Help?

I am in the process of planning an online advertising campaign for my website. I want to know the relevancy of negative and misspelt keywords.

Is it worthwhile to bid on misspelt keyword? How safe is it to bid on such keywords.

Is there a technique in which I can select the negative keywords of my website?

Is there any other trick or tips that I can make use of in my online ad campaign?

Please reply

namanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 17th May 2008, 04:11 PM   #2
viper_one
VIP Contributor

There are alot of factors in click marketing, the ones with a payoff are what count the most, but you should add a bit of expense to your campaign for trying to figure what works for you. And it might take some time as in weeks, months to actually see what produces the right kinds of results.

I know of a guy selling through Search Engines and he claims to have just settled his inquiries after six months of tinkering. Some keywords work better than others do. But, i cannot predetermine your results from here.

Old 19th May 2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Skudrulacis

acctually... it is very risky business, I had some experience when my payouts had stoped and my account had been disabled...

Skudrulacis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2008, 02:08 PM   #4
Logan
Administrator

accounts typically are only disabled for reasons related to the terms of service/rules.

anyways, regarding negative keywords and keyword selection it is often a trial and error process. For starters it is important to setup some tracking, so you know what does generate conversions (how ever you define that) and what keywords typically do not.

When I first setup a keyword campaign, I usually don't have negative keywords included. The reason being, I usually setup a keyword campaign initially with exact phrase match - [using brackets]. If you are using broad match, then I think negative keywords are more important to consider as it is more likely to provide keyword referrals that are not relevant. As you identify those, yes ... then adding negative keywords can be helpful to focus your ppc budget on keywords that have worked in the past.

A couple rule of thumbs to consider.

1) When starting your ppc campaign, start your budget lower at the beginning. As time passes, and you have gathered conversion data ... then consider increasing your budget. The theory here is that you should not "waste" your ppc budget until you have some experience identifying what keywords convert and what keyword don't.

2) The more words within the keyword phrase, the more likely the visitor will be to convert. So if you have one person find your site for [widgets] and another find your site for [blue widgets], the visitor who found your site via [blue widgets] .... more words in the keyword phrase .... is going to be more likely to "convert".

Quote:
Is it worthwhile to bid on misspelt keyword? How safe is it to bid on such keywords.
Sure. I've never had an issue as long as the keywords/ads are approved by the system. often there is less traffic, but less competition as well. Targeting misspellings can be effective based on my experiences, although just a small percentage.

hth, let us know anything we can answer further to help along!

Old 29th May 2008, 12:15 AM   #5
cpr
VIP Contributor

I'm unfamiliar with this idea; what would the advantage be to having users see negative words that link to your site? Is this a process where keywords that do not relate to your site's content display in paid results?

Old 29th May 2008, 01:48 AM   #6
Logan
Administrator

Yes, negative keywords are added to a ppc campaign to exclude keyword phrase that are not related, or may not convert well, etc for the site/sales.

A generic example would be that you set up an ad for the keyword "widget". A lot of people search for "blue widgets" which you don't sell. So you would add a negative keyword -blue to exclude any searches for that keyword.

Old 6th June 2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Rich_Muir

I have never thought of using negative keywords.

Will have to give that a go.

Rich

Rich_Muir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2008, 10:24 PM   #8
TuffyAle

Say you're selling Adboe software online.
If a customer were to type in Adobe crack, Adobe serial, Adobe patch,
which words would you want to include in your negative

crack, serial, patch, this filters out the useless impressions.

TuffyAle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2008, 12:18 PM   #9
jamie_g

The use of negative keywords on your Google AdWords campaign has a positive impact on your campaign. It will reduce the number of unqualified links thus helps increase the click through rate of your ads. Using negative keywords, there will a smaller number of online users that will be able to view your ads without clicking. And you know what higher Click through Rate or CTR means, right? It means higher ad position without having to increase your pay per click bids.

jamie_g is offline   Reply With Quote