Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Small Business Marketing - Online > Blogs and Blogging
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th August 2007, 02:35 PM   #11
Onatudget

Fashionista:
To follow-up on what "Idea Guy" had to say, I would recommend WordPress or Blogspot. Both of these venues are free and only require a valid email to setup. Now, the bigger question: What do I write? Great question!

Well, ask yourself (and tell me) this. What is your business? What is your niche? Whatever your business, you are bound to be an "expert", that is to say, you do it so often you may know more than what you give yourself credit for. Start there!!!!

A blog is like an online diary, except you don't have to disclose all your personal intimate secrets, but instead find a way and means to share your small successes with people who may be interested in your business or trade, and then from time to time, share insight into an idea or concept and ask for their feedback. This not only helps you with "ideas" but this also helps incorporate the audience and "hook them." I had a very special (blogging) friend of mine once say this, being that I am a self-published author and small independent publisher: "You write books so people fall in love with your stories...you write a blog so readers fall in love with you."

I bet if you sit down and think about all the minute details that pertain to your business, you can come up with HUNDREDS of bits of helpful information, incorporated and shared along side something personal (relating to your business) that might identify with someone else. You do that...sit back and watch...and you will be amazed what happens. Before you know it, you will be a regular blogger and subject matter expert.

Best of luck to you!

Onatudget is offline   Reply With Quote
Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 7th August 2007, 03:07 AM   #12
WebDrops

so u have got loads of advice here on this thread... I feel blogging is not as easy as it sounds.... for blogging you need to be smart and creative with your thoughts and ideas... and yes... blogging for SEO's don't forget to add enough of outbound links .... well m also still learning

Good Luck

WebDrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 05:34 AM   #13
Eric Lee

This topic is really nice and beneficial. However, the net speed of wordpress.com and blogspot.com is really slow, maybe bcz i am in China. Any ideas for the problem, thank you!

Eric Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2007, 12:43 PM   #14
torka

Location: Triangle area, NC, USA, North America, Earth (usually)

Search Engine Guide Blogger

If your host will allow it, you can install Wordpress to run on your own domain. This may be preferable to using Wordpress.com for branding purposes. In addition to keeping the domain name of your blog totally under your control, by installing on your own server you have more freedom in how you configure the software, what theme you use (including one that's totally custom for you, or that matches your main website) and what plugins you install.

You can download the software at www.wordpress.org. There is also extensive documentation and a support forum. You do need to have a bit of technical savvy (or a web hosting company that will support you in getting set up), as well as a host that supports PHP and MySQL, but on the whole I found installation and setup pretty straightforward.

--Torka

Old 8th September 2007, 03:54 PM   #15
Eric Lee

torka, thank you for your suggestion.

Eric Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2007, 10:13 PM   #16
Lisa-BFWM

Eric- often your web hosting company will have wordpress bundled as part of package and make it easier for you. if you have a geek-friend maybe they can help you set up. It is NOT that hard but can be intimidating to set up. I would STRONGLY suggest you install wordpress ( its free!) on your host rather than a hosting service like blogspot, blogger or wordpress.com.

It will be worth the effort.

AND- I disagree- blogging is not hard. Find the right topic for YOU and you will never run out of ideas.. as for links IF YOU BUILD IT THEY WILL COME.

Good Luck!
Lisa

Lisa-BFWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2007, 12:36 PM   #17
Shoestring

Read this before you start:
Try this before you start:
http://www.theinternetdigest.net/arc...ggingtips.html

Shoestring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd December 2007, 08:50 PM   #18
didi07

Default Blogger

But i have tried with blogger.com to start of my blog. It's very easy and useful too.

didi07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 01:43 AM   #19
sweetysbl

can anybody tell me about SEO

sweetysbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2007, 02:11 AM   #20
sweetysbl

its easy just type blog in googles

sweetysbl is offline   Reply With Quote