Welcome to the Small Business Ideas Forum! We are a community of over 100,000 small business folks with over 163,000 posts for you to browse. We pride ourselves on being the friendliest forum you will find and we'd love to have you as a member of our community. Please take a moment and register for a free account. If you need any help, please contact Chris Logan.

Small Business Ideas Forum

Small Business Ideas Forum

A friendly place to share small business ideas and knowledge, ask questions, find help and encourage others that are involved in the small business industry. Topics include small business marketing, generating revenue and small business computing.

Go Back   Small Business Ideas Forum > Generating Revenue, Insurance, Taxes, Etc. > Ecommerce
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th May 2006, 12:45 AM   #1
Linda
VIP Contributor

Default How to Really Annoy your Web Site Visitors

Here are a few things NOT to do on your website.

"Music A few years back music was quite common on the web and many web sites had music that automatically played. Gradually people have realized that music creates a lot of distraction and is a nuisance to a lot of people."

Catch it @ http://www.smallbusinessbrief.com/ar...ce/005154.html

Anything you would like to add to this?

Register or log in to remove this ad.
Old 28th May 2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Corey Bryant
VIP Contributor

Almost like a plug-in / music - woul be one of those companies like www.sitepal.com. I really cannot think of any reason why you would want something like that.

For the most part, I usually just turn my volume down on my computer now unfortunately. It is a lot rather than to be scared of my chair by someone telling me what to do.

Old 29th May 2006, 01:27 PM   #3
vangogh
VIP Contributor

I can honestly say I've been annoyed by everything on the list at one time or another. Modern browsers do a pretty good job of handling the popup issue so that's become less of an irritant to me.

I think the flashing animations annoy me the most. The funny thing about them is the idea behind them is to attract the attention of the visitor. The problem is they do it so well they prevent you from being able to pay attention to anything else on the page.

I'll add another annoyance. Overuse of marketing language. Please don't tell me your product is the best, the greatest, the most wonderful...

Old 29th May 2006, 02:54 PM   #4
KAYLINDA
VIP Contributor

Vangogh, you must be my long lost brother..I agree with everything you said!

Old 4th June 2006, 12:34 AM   #5
Cruzin

Default Annoying your site visitors - YEAH!

Hi, it's Maria and you guys have just hit on a subject I can really talk about. (I'll be as brief as possible, though.) I don't know if many people think about this, but a lot of people with disabilities use websites and things like animated flash and music can play havoc. As someone who's blind and physically disabled I know this first hand. Animated flash makes my screen-reader go wonky, only reading the first little bit of the page, then it jumps back up to the top and starts over. As far as I know music doesn't hamper assistive devices or software, but you're right, it IS annoying. If you guys don't mind I have a couple suggestions that will make websites less annoying and more user-friendly, especially to disabled users. Things like labelling graphics with descriptive alt text, easy-to-read fonts with high contrast, and captioning for hearing impaired if you do have audio on your site, are all good things to have. I'm sure at least some of you know and use this stuff already, but a lot of sites out there are inaccessible. OK, that's enough of Maria's b___h session. Thanks, and take care.

Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2006, 06:51 PM   #6
MattB

Default Great Stuff Maria

Great stuff, Maria!

I think more programmers and site owners are becoming aware of the importance of accessibiity in their sites.

A few more irritating surprises:
- Scrolling, blinking, rotating, or moving text
- Low Contrast Text - (e.g., blue text on black, yellow text on white)
- Tiny Text
- No notification of PDF links
- Broken links
- Sites that obviously haven't been proofed in FireFox . . .

Last edited by MattB; 4th June 2006 at 06:55 PM.
MattB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2006, 12:56 PM   #7
vangogh
VIP Contributor

Thanks Maria. I know I try my best to make my sites as accessible as possibly, but I have a question for you.

With images that are just there for the visual do you prefer seeing alt text to know what that image is or would you prefer the alt text be blank so the screen reader can skip over it?

I know with images that are also serving as a link to another page I add alt text about where that page leads, but for images that are just fluff I've never been sure what someone who can't see the image would prefer. I usually go with the blank alt text, but always wonder if that's best.

Thanks.

Old 6th June 2006, 03:52 PM   #8
BenKowaBunga
VIP Contributor

Send a message via AIM to BenKowaBunga Send a message via MSN to BenKowaBunga Send a message via Yahoo to BenKowaBunga

Flash and music is kinda OK if there is a 'Skip' link or an obvious turn music off button. If not, then I close it asap.

Also, downloading huge Java applets is annoying becuase there's no way of avoiding them.

Loads of animated graphics and poor design is my No.1 pet hate.

Old 8th June 2006, 11:56 AM   #9
alkalar

Talking Make them wait to see your site

To truly reward someone who's stuck with dial-up access, use lots of pictures and special effects to swell the size of the file they have to download. That way, they can go out to Starbucks for some coffee (or to the local pub for a beer) while they wait for your page to load.

With that technique, you can be sure that they'll reward you by visiting your site often and buying lots of stuff.

Well, at least you can be proud of your "flashiest website" award.

alkalar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2006, 04:07 AM   #10
Cruzin

Default Alt text on images

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangogh
Thanks Maria. I know I try my best to make my sites as accessible as possibly, but I have a question for you.

With images that are just there for the visual do you prefer seeing alt text to know what that image is or would you prefer the alt text be blank so the screen reader can skip over it?

I know with images that are also serving as a link to another page I add alt text about where that page leads, but for images that are just fluff I've never been sure what someone who can't see the image would prefer. I usually go with the blank alt text, but always wonder if that's best.

Thanks.
Thanks for asking, I'm glad to know people are interested in this stuff. Personally I think it's always better to put a description of the image in your alt text if possible. Some people might think it's tedious, but I think it's great when I hear a description of graphics on a web page. It just makes things easier and sometimes more enjoyable when you have all the same info sighted folks do. Thanks.

Cruzin is offline   Reply With Quote